Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak from Ceiling of Apt

• 06-05-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭

I have a ground floor appartment which has a solid concrete ceiling. Recently I noticed a damp patch in the corner of the ceiling of one room. When I scraped back the wet paint I found that there were three small holes in the concrete ceiling which extended upwards for about 150mm. Water is contionuously dripping from one of these holes. I have contacted the Mgt Company to go into Apt directly above to check for leaks and hopefully that will resolve the leak. However, I would like to ask how should I deal with these holes once leak stops. I was thinking of putting some silicone sealant in each hole and then some pollyfill on surface of each hole before painting. Then I was worried in case if a future leak occurred the water would fill the hole from above an eventually make its way through. Anyone have suggestions as to the best solution to this problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Nothing. Silicone is useless. If there's water above it, it'll make its way through it in no time. Just fill the holes as normal once the leak is repaired.

Is it you're apartment? If so, speak to the management company about the cost of the repairs to you're property and if there's a block policy to cover it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

Nothing. Silicone is useless. If there's water above it, it'll make its way through it in no time. Just fill the holes as normal once the leak is repaired.

Is it you're apartment? If so, speak to the management company about the cost of the repairs to you're property and if there's a block policy to cover it

Thanks for advice re: silicone. I was afraid that would be the answer. In some ways lucky the holes didn't coincide with a stud wall as leak could be running down inside of wall for a long time before being noticed.

Yes its mine. I have already done this. Luckily damage is minimal as I scraped off paint as soon a damp patch appeared and have had a bucket under the leak for the last 3 weeks. Once leak is fixed I will just fill holes and repaint. Problem is Mgt Co very slow to gain access to Apt directly above so prolonging the problem. Also I noticed that leak had completely dried up on Tuesday morning but came back again on Wednesday. People upstairs, who never answer their door, must have been away for this period so likely leak is from a shower/sink/bath.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

creedp wrote: »
    Thanks for advice re: silicone. I was afraid that would be the answer. In some ways lucky the holes didn't coincide with a stud wall as leak could be running down inside of wall for a long time before being noticed.

Yes its mine. I have already done this. Luckily damage is minimal as I scraped off paint as soon a damp patch appeared and have had a bucket under the leak for the last 3 weeks. Once leak is fixed I will just fill holes and repaint. Problem is Mgt Co very slow to gain access to Apt directly above so prolonging the problem. Also I noticed that leak had completely dried up on Tuesday morning but came back again on Wednesday. People upstairs, who never answer their door, must have been away for this period so likely leak is from a shower/sink/bath.

Thanks again

I'd say its a shower. Keep the pressure on the MGT company. they need to get their finger out on this one. You can always threaten them with the fact that the repair bills will be mounting on this as its a continuing problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I wouldn't to anything to repair the damage yourself , just stick a bucket under the leak to catch the water . Also take plenty of pictures of the damage , no matter how small it is , why should you spend any of your time or money on repairing the damage , your paying enough on management fees , just put the pressure on them to get it sorted .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Are you in the same app block as some_randemor paperclip.gif subscribed.gifMajor problem with tiles around bath,

• Advertisement
Advertisement