Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

day 4 and stiil living

Options
  • 06-05-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

this is day 4 of my latest attempt to quit my 30-40 a day.

champix and a nicorette nasal spray are helping me but the fact that i can no longer afford it is the main driver. i also had a dose of flu about a month ago and it really knocked me.

my wife is also on day 3 of her attempt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

In the middle of day 3 myself, using lozenges, and coping very well.

This is the easy bit though, it's going to get tougher over the next couple of weeks.

Best of luck to you and your wife...

Here's hoping we all stick it out and in 6 months be happier, more confident and healthier. Fingers and toes well and truly crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

day 12 just finished. hardest day yet. roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

on day 13 myself and having no massive probs so far except that i cant stop eating. Have noticeably put on lot of weight. Better get easier. 32 now and smoking snce I was 13 bit did give up for 1 and 2 years on previous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Day seven myself. Did a complete cold turkey and found it easier than using gum, patches etc. Strangely no massive craving, head ache or increased appetite. I've tried a number of times and this is by far the easiest, oy thing O cam put it down to is starting it in the right frame of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Javonte

I wish all of you good luck and hope that you well quit smoking at the end :)

• Advertisement

day 16 and still going but don't want to shout about it yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Day 3. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah cold turkey is the best and easiest. Anything else is prolonging the pain. Anyone else eating all round them. At this rate in 2 yrs time ill have doubled my weight.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Yeah cold turkey is the best and easiest. Anything else is prolonging the pain. Anyone else eating all round them. At this rate in 2 yrs time ill have doubled my weight.

i am taking champix, and it is the easiest yet, BUT, i am eating everything in the house. wife reckons smoking cost less than the amount of eating i am doing

Eating a bit more, but making sure I drink 2 litres a day, which helps to cover over the hunger, that said I am pi$$ing like a good thing to the point where I told my manager in work exactly what was going on so he didn't think I was skieving off.

Strangely the first week wasn't too bad, but I've been getting mental headaches this week, just on my temples (more so on the left hand side??). Nearly had one yesterday as I was also in a rotten mood, the funny thing was I realised that I'd actually be more pissed off if I did have one!!

Try eating veg to tackle the hunger, carrot sticks or celery, something low calarie but high fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I just wanted to say well done to everyone who gave up the demon fags. I'm roughly 6 years smoke free and I have to say it's one of the best things I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lady_Bird

Congratulations to everyone on quitting!...I am on Day 8... decided to go cold turkey, have given up twice before both times using cold turkey and i have never had a problem with the actual not smoking, its the eating that is driving me insane.... i am trying to drink lots of water but where i work i cant just run out of the room at any time...so any other advice? i just don't want to give myself any excuse to start again! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Day 12. So far so good nobody dead.

Day 12. So far so good nobody dead.

Ha ha, couldn't have put it better. Day 19 and could easily punch the head off anyone (normally, I'm incredibly quiet and carefree). I'm trying to find a pay as you go gym with a boxing bag to vent some anger.

Strangely at this stage, the main thing keeping me off the smoked is the fct that I know I'd be really at myself if I had one!!

I'm meant to be heading out tonight and could do with a massive session but afraid when I'm drunk I'll have one. Any suggestions???

around about day 26.

head is firmly up my own arse, temper is just about under control, and i have put on 12 pounds in weight, at this rate i will be 32 stone by christmas.

i have to carry on

I should be four weeks next Monday but having a really really crap week, problems in work and then a break up, gave in and had one this morning, not impressed. The one good thing though, it tasted rank so don't feel line having more.

it is getting easier.
    i am still here and going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cavanman112

28 Hours and counting since I quit. - Cold Turkey -
    The longest time I have gone without the demon smokes for over 15 years.
    Is any one elses head exploding ? I cant get over the headache its unreal, and I feel like I'm hungover and my eyes are going to pop out of my head........Well Wierd !

Day 3 with patches...headaches for 3 days, bit dizzy too. Drinking loads of water and soft drinks and sucking on polos like I need them to live. Stopped wheezing though;) Gonna have some wine now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Day 3. So far so good.

Day 3 today.
    Had big a craving yesterday but today has been okay.
    One thing that's spurring me on is my breathing - chest feels a lot of clearer already. Who knows if I can last the week then I might be able to get back to some jogging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I am about 10 days on the patches now my third attempt.

To that earlier poster re going out for a few drinks there really is no defence against being drunk and in bad form in my opinion.

That's what broke me down after bring off them 3 months the last time.

It's too easy to justify having a fag when your drunk and get a bit pissed off.

Just go home if you feel yourself getting into bad form.

Advertisement