Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help getting about Cork!

Options
  • 06-05-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Ok I haven't a clue about Cork and need some info folks!

Staying with a friend for a few days next week in Westbury Estate, Wilton, Cork. That's all I know. Found it on the map happy days.

Thing I want to know is how do I go about getting from there to here---> http://cspca.ie/?page_id=5 the cork spca animal home place on the Link Road, Mahon.

Also just in case how much would a taxi cost from Westbury Estate into the city centre(specifically the bus eireann station)...or is there any direct local buses that run into the city centre?
    And can I have some taxi numbers pleaseeee :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Taxi from Wilton into town shouldnt be more than 10/12 euro. Wilton is on the westside of the city, but Mahon is on the extreme eastside. Im not sure on buses and all that but just to let ya know that it is a bit of a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

CHealy wrote: »
    Taxi from Wilton into town shouldnt be more than 10/12 euro. Wilton is on the westside of the city, but Mahon is on the extreme eastside. Im not sure on buses and all that but just to let ya know that it is a bit of a distance.

Ahh crap should have known with my luck it would be good bit apart :pac:
    Trying to set up my budget so don't wanna be wasting too much money on taxis. Gotta few days in Cork and then Galway ya see.

The other animal care society doesn't have an actual premises that I can go to and help out so that why I'm wanting to pop into the spca one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't find the estate on the map, but the no.19 bus goes through Bishopstown via Wilton right out to Mahon Point, where the SPCA is :)http://www.corkpublictransport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=23

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

DAWG could also use help, they're moving premises soon and it'll be a huge undertaking.

Faith wrote: »
    I can't find the estate on the map, but the no.19 bus goes through Bishopstown via Wilton right out to Mahon Point, where the SPCA is :)http://www.corkpublictransport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=23

Holy crap that passes right by the estate!! Love ya Faaaaith :pac:
    Yeah google maps only finds the estate when you leave out the wilton part of the address.

The estate is near Sarsfield Rd...just below the S Ring Road.

Do you know of any buses that go into the city centre specifically anywhere near merchants quay? Trying to use that website but aint getting much luck :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Holy crap that passes right by the estate!! Love ya Faaaaith :pac:
    Yeah google maps only finds the estate when you leave out the wilton part of the address.

The estate is near Sarsfield Rd...just below the S Ring Road.

Do you know of any buses that go into the city centre specifically anywhere near merchants quay? Trying to use that website but aint getting much luck :/

Buses from that area into town are the no.s 5 and 8. I don't know anything about where they stop in Wilton, but they should drop you off on Patrick's Street or thereabouts in town, so just near Merchant's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

wilton to mahon is actually very fast by car. 5 minutes ish, so a taxi shouldn't be much. Straight down the south link and you're there.
    For buses of any regularity, you might need to go to town, then out to mahon. Awful lot slower

Edit, spca is straight past the traffic lights for mahon point/retail park, about a hundred yards on, on your left

Well turns out my mate is off work on the Tuesday so we will amuse ourselves somehow by checking out Cork and maybe even take a trip out together to the spca in her car.

She is working the other two days so I'll have nothing but time on my hands so won't mind the long round about bus journey.

I'll have to get off at a specific point on Skehard Road and then walk the rest of the way to the spca which aint far. Gonna have a map printed out just in case I gets lost :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

no 19 bus via Southside and the no 10 bus via City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Faith wrote: »
    Buses from that area into town are the no.s 5 and 8. I don't know anything about where they stop in Wilton, but they should drop you off on Patrick's Street or thereabouts in town, so just near Merchant's Quay.

The nearest bus to city centre is the No14. Stops just a short distance from Westbury Estate on Sarsfield Rd. Its a regular bus service.
    As previously said, No.19 will take you to Mahon. You get it from the same stop as no. 14.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info folks! It will help make me not look like a tourist :pac:

DAWG could also use help, they're moving premises soon and it'll be a huge undertaking.

I'd love to help but where is their current premises?
    I've checked out their website before but there was no mention of helping out volunteer wise walking dogs, which is all I'd be able to do really?

Do you need the exact change on these buses and if so roughly how much?

Adult fare on 14 is 1.60. for an adult. exact change not necessary.

Wilton Cabs. Wilton shopping centre. 0214346666

Cheers johnayo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ForTheLoveOf_Fi

hi there!
    i live in Westbury too and i commute to Mahon and town on a daily basis.
    you will have to plan your journey as 19 only runs once an hour.
    A taxi to Mahon would be at least 15 euro, probably closer to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You could always get yourself to the Wilton roundabout and pick up the Number 10 by the Maxol garage - brings you straight out. The walk there might be too long, but a cheap taxi ride to the bus stop - and the bus straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

And as you have found out, Westbury isn't in Wilton, it's part of Togher but the developers couldn't sell that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Ok I haven't a clue about Cork and need some info folks!

Staying with a friend for a few days next week in Westbury Estate, Wilton, Cork. That's all I know. Found it on the map happy days.

Thing I want to know is how do I go about getting from there to here---> http://cspca.ie/?page_id=5 the cork spca animal home place on the Link Road, Mahon.

Also just in case how much would a taxi cost from Westbury Estate into the city centre(specifically the bus eireann station)...or is there any direct local buses that run into the city centre?
    And can I have some taxi numbers pleaseeee :)

Thanks!
    Numer 8 bus to town and then the number 2 down to mahon will get you to where you need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

You can get the Number 10 from Clashduv Estate or opposite the garage at the top of the Glasheen Road straight to Mahon Point, it costs €1.60 and takes about 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. Once you pass the Texaco garage on the Skehard Road, get off at the second stop (ask the driver if you're not sure, they're all helpful on that route!) , and it'll leave you about a minute's walk from the CSPCA. The return stop is almost directly opposite where you'll get off the bus. The No 10 passes through town on the way so you could use that to get to town if you wanted to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement