Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus Tree in Distress

Options
  • 06-05-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Folks

We have a full grown (70ft high) 60+ year old Eucalptus tree that is in distress. It's been in our garden longer than anyone can remember and as long as we have been here (8 years) it has occassionally shed its leaves and its newish bark at different stages.

This year however it is loosing ALL of its bark and all of the leaves have turned and are dropping. No new growth can be seen. We're worried that this beautiful tree is dead. I've seen other posts about tough winters etc and Eucalyptus trees eventually recovering.

Was just wondering if anyone as had experience with such a large specimen going into shock.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know someone who has a 25/30 year old specimen showing large splits in the bark - how does yours sound when you knock on the bark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

We lost a 7y.o. (18ft approx) Eucalyptus at the end of the winter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Our Smallholding

I lost my 24 year old Eucalyptus last winter. Frost damage! So sad to see it having to come down! Mine was as TheFatMan & magicbastarder described... Deep cracks in the thick bark which came away from the wood, not just the strip peeling which is normal in Eucalyptus niphophila (Snow Gum). Leaves lost their colour and wood became twiggy/brittle at the ends of branches. Sound was hollow :(. In other words dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

thanks for that small holder! The thick old bark completely came off today. Tree doesnt sound hollow yet, but I think its gone. ITs big and strong enough to let me leave it in place for a while to see if it comes back. Will give it a rub of the relic and pray for improvement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looking much worse for the one i was talking about too. i'd give it a 10% chance if i was being generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

I have eight Eucalyptus trees at home, all different ages.

7 year old - dead
    4 year old - dead x 2
    3 year olds all okay, so far.

all roughly in the same place. The 7 year old split all its bark last year but I thought this was normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi, Had a tree surgeon check my 5 x 25yr old Eucalyptus trees and he pronounced tham all dead!:( Just waiting to be cut down:(:(.The roots are too established to pull them out so will have to cut the stumps to below ground level!!! This is the news I got this week anyway. Does anyone have a similiar Eucalyptus that recovered at some stage?

Tnks

Hi Grannie Annie

Sorry to hear that. Just out of interest what did a tree surgeon charge for that diagnosis?

Would it be cheaper for me to go to the doctor?? :rolleyes:

Hi Fat Man,

For a change something was free!!!! No charge for diagnosis. Quoted €800 + VAT to cut them down and mulch or take them away.

Have you lost some trees also?

Hi Granni

Was just wondering as I have a few Ancient, heavy llylandi that surround our site that I have been aching to thin out or even get rid of completely. Much bigger job than 5 Eucalyptus trees but wanted to see what the damage might be before I decide to buyb a chainsaw and spend the next few months of my life smelling of pine!

• Advertisement

Hi Fatman,
    We have decided to go the chainsaw & Cherry picker route. As my son pointed out I could buy mature trees for the €1000 approx!

Still hoping they might start to sprout again...............wishful thinking I suppose.

Best of luck with your job, sounds daunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Be very very careful.

My bro-in-law nearly cut his own head in two trying to avoid a falling branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aidken

I have a 15 yr old tree that I cut bck every year to keep it low and spreading (about 12 ft), it's called coppicing I think. Anyway it the top of it has died this year. It is sprouting shoots from the base though. Could anyone tell me should cut it down to these shoots now or later or even next spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

Guys, it all depends where in the country you are based as to wether or not any Eucalyptus will come back. After travelling all over the country and looking at a lot of trees, it seems unless you are based in South Dublin or an isolated favourable micro-climate, those trees are not coming back. Whats more, the wood of these trees is very soft. Any heavy wind in the winter could knock large branches off and cause some serious damage. I'd recommend cutting as soon as possible. P.S. prob not useful for firewood as spits a LOT!

In relation to the Leylandii hedge, if thinning out, be careful. Cutting back to any part of the stem that is brown will mean no new growth will come from that area. You will be left with large areas of brown in you hedge, which may spread and kill the whole hedge. Cutting back fully and removing the roots is probably the way to go.

Advertisement