Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Beginner looking for information....

• 06-05-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

So, where does a complete beginner at motorhomes get good information about motorhomes, such as reviews on the different makes?

any links, tips appreciated. Especially when looking at buying a secondhand motorhome in Ireland.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Tell us what size you're looking for, what berth, are you looking for an A Class etc... and you're budget and we can get you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Not sure where you're based, but go along to a motohome dealer to get a look at different models, layouts etc. this will give you an idea of what you'll gte for your money/budget, what will suit you, your lifestyle, family ages etc. We bought our first motor home a few weeks ago, having just looked at a couple. Got a great deal on donedeal.ie- loved it as soon as we saw it and it was relatively new and well looked after. There are some great bargains to be had at the moment. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

where to start ?,well you could do worst than to have a good old look at the stickies on here for a start,
    picking out a camper that would suit you depends on what you want to use it for, how many people will be staying in it,and how much money you want to spent (the general rule is set your budget then double it and then be prepared to add a bit to get the van you want ;) )
    their are lots of vans for sale in ireland and it being a buyers market for the last few years their is some super value to had, because of recent VAT changes buying out side of ireland has no attraction at the moment
    have a look here http://www.donedeal.ie/find/campers/for-sale/Ireland/ at what is available, if you do decide to buy have a look at loads of vans before you buy as getting it wrong can turn out to be very expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Hi
    You haven't given us you specific details but having recently purchased here is my advice. We have three young kids so some of the advice is tailored to that. It is also tailored to a coach build rather than a conversion.

We spent a long time thinking about different campers. I recommend that you think long and hard about the various issues. This thread is great lots of great advice buried in the threads. I spent many many many hours on donedeal looking a different campers, layouts etc and thinking about how they would suit us. Review etc can sometimes be found by simply typing the model of the camper + review into Google. Motorhomefacts is also quite good.

Anyway, the bottom line is compromise - you wont get the perfect camper so the best you can do is to get the best camper for you. So you need to think about your usage pattern. What is right for me is not necessarily right for you even if the numbers using the van were the same.

So initially two key issues are 1) Identifying the right type of camper for you (this is mainly about layout) and 2) having decided your type then it is about buying the right camper for you. So this is about budget, year, milage, extras etc.

1) Type of Van
    Layout
    This is the big big one. If you have no experience of camper it is going to be very difficult to decide on the best layout for you. The only way to make a decision will be to think long and hard about the type of use that you expect to give it. The basic choice is between a rear u Lounge or Bunks/Bed. One of the interesting things for us was we changed our mind on the best layout for us very near the end of the process. For ages we had been thinking of one type of layout that we were quite certain would suit us. To cut a long story short in the end when we actually imagined ourselves in the van on different types of trips (daytrips, short overnighter, week+) and in different weather we changed our minds on the layout.

U-Lounge
    The rear u lounge give you extra living (lounging) space. So the kids could be down the back quietly reading (yeah right ) while the adults get lunch/dinner ready. The big disadvantage of this is having to constantly make and unmake the bed. In essence what the u-lounge gives you is day space. Beds/bunks are beds and therefore that portion of your camper is night space.

The other issue with the u lounge is that they tend to have smaller 'garages'.

Bunks,
    Some people say that bunks are great for kids. Triple bunk campers are very rare but they do exist. We considered one. (Spoke to owner on the phone etc). The reason we decided against it was that it didn't really have a garage and we would not be able to manage without a garage. But it would be fab to have a single bed for each child and adult over the cab therefore no problem making up bed etc. So the key tradeoff there was the lack of a garage. So you need to think about it.

The more common bunks arrangement is two across the back or at the side to the rear. Usually the bottom bunk will lift up to give you more garage space. This type of van is popular and you will see lots of different types.

The other arrangement is a double bed at the rear. This arrangement will give you a big comfy bed that doest require a ladder to get into and typically will give you a huge garage but it will compromise the living space somewhat.

Obviously with any of the above you loose the u lounge.

The only way to decide is to evaluate your intended usage pattern and then to go look at lots of campers. Will it be used every weekend for short trips or just on occasions for long trips.

I would also suggest that you try to estimate your need for a 'garage'. For us you would be talking body boards, wet suits, table and chairs, wind break, BBQ, Ground sheet etc etc. There isn't exactly a lot of room in campers for storage so even personal stuff may have to go into the garage (especially if you are going off for 1 - 2 weeks).

2) Buying the right van
    Its a buyers market at the moment. I was watching donedeal for ages and while some campers sold reasonably quickly others were literally there for months and months. So dont rush into it. The ball is definitely in the buyer court right now as not many people are in a position to spend so much money on what can only be described as a luxury purchase. Find a 'well priced' camper and haggle like hell (but don't have silly expectations) there are definitely people out there mad keen to improve their financial position by off-load their camper.

Consider all the things you would like on a Camper. Awning, reversing camera, bike rack, ladder, roofbars, swivel seats, electric step etc etc Make out a list and put them in order of importance to you.

Also you need to think about the merits of LHD vrs RHD some people dont care. Some will argue for one over the other. Think about what you want.

Finally, when you identify a serious contender then you need to think about the condition of the both the van and the habitation area. You really have to be careful that you are not buying someone else's problems. Water ingress and dampness are the mortal enemy of the habitation area. And dont forget to check the basic mechanics of the van itself. Of course if you by from a reputable dealer you will have a warranty and greater peace of mind than a private sale.

Last of all, but very importantly, make sure you do a finance check. If its on HP it the bank that owns it NOT the person selling it and NOT the person who buys it! So be careful.

Hope that is of some help. Feel free to ask other questions.
    WildWater

well you could do wors than to have a good old look at the stickies on here for a start,
    picking out a camper that would suit you depends on what you want to use it for, how many people will be staying in it,and how much money you want to spent (the general rule is set your budget then double it and then be prepared to add a bit to get the van you want ;) )

This is true. Before I started my build we took a trip up to a MH dealer to get some bits and pieces that I needed. We were there for at least two hours tyre kicking around all the different vans they had, and they had a lot. Out of all that were there both new and old, there was only one van that we were in that we felt would have been perfect for us, if we had any notion of buing. I think it was somewhere in the region of 10 years old at the time... Just goes to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Scienceless,
    Some great advice from Wildwater.
    You are probably eager to get started and get out and about in your new camper for the summer, but you could save yourself a lot of money by buying when the season is over or nearly over. A lot of the best bargains are available from September on.
    You give your location as the West so if you're anywhere near Castlebar and
    you want to have a look at a few differant layouts,you are welcome to have a look at ours. We got U-lounge,fixed beds,bunks,big garage,small garage,no garage,brand new and not so new. it may help you get started.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Ok, thanks for the replies, appreciated!

We are a family of 5, 3 kids between 5 and 11. Ideally we are looking for an A class vehicle, 6 berth, and will be in a position to buy in July.

The motorhome is something we have wanted for a long time, but it's only now we are thinking about makes/models and layout etc.

The motorhome will be going abroad yearly from next year, with occasional week/weekend trips during the year, most likely when schools are closed.

So recommendations appreciated. We are going to start looking in dealerships/garages from next week, and will keep an eye on donedeal.ie also.

Personally I am looking for a quality build and a reputation for mechanical reliability, engine wise.

Thanks again for all the replies, (esp. wildwater for taking the time to write that long reply, very useful info there).

demoreino - interesting about not buying until later in the year, as we are not buying until july at least, but had hoped to get away in august. Maybe a rental for this august, if waiting until winter to buy will save money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Howdy , we're only 10 minsfrom the Galway border ,so if you happen to head in the midlands direction , feel free to call in some time www.PatHoranMotors.com . For your first one , as that very useful post by Wildwater has covered most of the facts , I'm not goingto repeat them.. but speaking as a fella in his early 30's , who's been in Camper vans since he was 3 , and now as someone who works on them full time , for about the last 10 years , the layout is your main concern . You'll get over the age , the mileage , what base vehicle it is , the physical size etc , but if you don't think you could survive for a full wet weekend in one , with all the family , without someone getting strangled , chances are it's the wrong layout! Ok , I exaggerate .. but not by much!

A-class... you're instantly narrowing your options , and while they are generally more stream lined and allegedly betterlooking , a lot of them are more of a luxury camper for 2 , than a family layout . We have sold 7 berth ones , by gum they were long .
    A good few 6 berth "A"s will be over 3500kgs , have you the required C license?

As I mentioned , I grew up holidaying in Campers , with a sister only a couple of years older , so naturally we had to have separate beds , just something to bear in mind for your own children , you might throw them all in together now , but maybe not in a year or so.

Don't let the year put you off , to a point . Some marques were better built at different times... for example, from servicing them , an early 90's Hymer was a lot better built than an early '00s one! Just somethingto bear in mind . Other marques improve as they get newer .

If you go for a 6/7 berth , make sure it's got plenty of power , realistically anything less than a 2.5 turbo diesel will be sluggish . It just makes the hills and headwinds much harder work .

Obviously as a dealer , I'm biased , but if you aren't familiar with them , I do think you're safer buying one with a warranty . So many times I get people ringing me looking for advice on heaters , boilers , leaks , mechanical issues etc on campers that were bought privately... and there is some terribly shoddy repair jobs done on some of them . Also , because there was/is no legal requirement for a NCY/DOE style test , a lot of campers are merrily cruising around with dodgy brakes , soggy suspension , and smokey engines.. just a couple of weeks ago a guy tried trading a '98 van in , fully taxed and insured , with the most rotten chassis I've ever seen , on anything!

I've gone on long enough now , but remember , as I tell all our customers , there's nosuch thing as a stupid question . So keep asking !
    have a look here maybe too . http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977355

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    we're only 10 minsfrom the Galway border ,so if you happen to head in the midlands direction , feel free to call in some time

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go back to geography class. If I knew how close ye were I'd have swung by on my way back through Gort last weekend. Sure you would have loved another tyre kicker in there....

Why did I think you were down near waterford somewhere.

I don't half feel like a bit of a pratt now....:(

Least I know for the next trip out.

Aidan, thanks for the reply,

Yes have C class licence, and plenty of HGV experience. I'll check out the site,

thanks again.

• Advertisement

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go back to geography class. If I knew how close ye were I'd have swung by on my way back through Gort last weekend. Sure you would have loved another tyre kicker in there....

Why did I think you were down near waterford somewhere.

I don't half feel like a bit of a pratt now....:(

Least I know for the next trip out.
    hahahahaah http://www.pathoranmotors.com/?page_id=330 centre of the map!

hahahahaah http://www.pathoranmotors.com/?page_id=330 centre of the map!

Bit feckin late now. Should have paid more attention in geography. Man I hated those OS maps. We only had one of greystones.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

I am also new to the motorhome world and found the replies here very useful. I have had a look at A few types of motorhome and am swinging towards a setup with two double beds e.g. A class Hymer, Dethleffs, Burnster or Geist. Any comments on these? Is it now the case that it is cheaper to buy in Ireland than either import from Germany or UK? How about if my local garage imports under their VAT number and sells on to me with just the Irish VAT ?
    Thanks

DhyanT wrote: »
    I am also new to the motorhome world and found the replies here very useful. I have had a look at A few types of motorhome and am swinging towards a setup with two double beds e.g. A class Hymer, Dethleffs, Burnster or Geist. Any comments on these? Is it now the case that it is cheaper to buy in Ireland than either import from Germany or UK? How about if my local garage imports under their VAT number and sells on to me with just the Irish VAT ?
    Thanks

If a vehicle is imported, then there is VRT due to be paid on it, which is 13.5% of the value of the vehicle. Its not really any cheaper to import rather than buy here as a result. Best off staying local imo, especially if you want a warranty with the van etc...

Vat is another story and is usually charged on all goods and services. Are you confusing this with VRT by any chance?

Yep......that sound you hear is that of a large penny dropping!! Yes, bit of confusion there I think. I'm relieved to think that there is equal value to be had at home..........far less hassle if that is the case. Though a superficial look at german prices seem cheaper............am I right in thinking that an import (free of vat in country of origin on an irish vat number, plus irish vat @ 21% plus vrt @13.5%) would work out roughly the same as equivalent vehicle bought here? ..as per your post? Again if that is the case then great!
    Thanks for the feedback

we are in the trade , and since New Year , we were looking for some stock , and they were dearer abroad , once you factored in VRT (Grrrrrr.....) , ferries and going to collect . We haven't imported anything this year .

@Scienceless, you're welcome. I also agree with Aidan on the A-Class initially we thought an A might suit us but as he says most of them are really only designed as a luxury apartment for 2 :D:D So we have started saving to by one in about 15 years :rolleyes:

I'm also in the west so if you would like to have a look at my camper pm me and we'll see if we can set something up.

@Dhyan I looked at importing but decided against it. Since the change in VRT at the start of the year it is not as good as it used to me. Also it will be up to the revenue to decide the OMSP and therefore there is a lot of uncertain as to what your VRT bill will be. If you can't get the camper you want here then it might be worth it but I don't think you will save yourself all that much.

At the moment I think there is good value to be had here both in private sales and through some dealers. I bought privately but I had my eye on a camper in PatHoranMotors but some other (lucky) bugger got to it before me. Still though happy as a pig in poke now :D:D:D

Wildwater

WildWater wrote: »
    I bought privately but I had my eye on a camper in PatHoranMotors but some other (lucky) bugger got to it before me. Still though happy as a pig in poke now :D:D:D

Wildwater

out of idle curiousity , which one was that?

out of idle curiousity , which one was that?

It was a super clean u lounge that you had, maybe two months ago, for about 24k. Can't recall for certain, as I've looked at hundreds (on line) over the last few months, but I think it was a Kanus.

Thanks for those replies. It is quite useful to narrow down the possible options.
    On a different note: I have been reading the very informative hints from AidanM and it brings up the question: as someone commented, is it harder to maintain a motorhome than to buy one.? The last thing I want to do is to get involved in a 'project' demanding loads of time and aggravation........what is a reasonable assessment of the maintenance commitment?
    Also, what is the depreciation rate over time typically of a MH ? Is there a rule of thumb?
    I am veering towards LH drive as the plan is for Europe, what impact should this have on price/depreciation?
    I am starting from complete ignorance so your ideas are greatly appreciated.:confused:

• Advertisement

Wildwater, thanks for the offer, going to some dealers later this week for a look at some models, I'll be in touch.

Thanks again!

Recommendations for dealers that have 6 berth motorhomes in stock, both A class and non A class appreciated.

Planning on visiting a few later this week so only interested in those that have such models in stock.

Thanks in advance!
    Scienceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

have a look here http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-80.html lots of info here for new and old hands

have a look here http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-80.html lots of info here for new and old hands

Will do. Thanks for that

Advertisement