Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

castlewellan gold, lleylandi

Options
  • 06-05-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Any body have any experience with this type of hedge. Saw a hedge of it lately and it looked fab.I got thinking then about sowing some along boundary to stop the wind which turns garden upside down. Advice on planting would be appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

You have heard and read all the Lleylandi horror stories !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padowado

Any of those hedgeing will take too much work
    They grow too fast....and if you cut them too much
    they will never re grow
    try beech in autumn or Red Robin or laural
    not grisellina the frost killed all them last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Any body have any experience with this type of hedge. Saw a hedge of it lately and it looked fab.I got thinking then about sowing some along boundary to stop the wind which turns garden upside down. Advice on planting would be appreciated.:confused:

Have you tried the Morturary or the Mad House?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have it on one boundary, my neighbours hedge.... never clipped. I wish for its death everyday. Ugly, even worse than the plain green one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's a case of personal taste.. If meticulously maintained it can be a satisfactory solution to OP's problem of living on an exposed site....

There are other options where planting a border of mixed shrubs/native trees would achieve the same protection but they will most probably be deciduous and the border would need to be 8-10 feet deep for the same protection from one row of well clipped lleylandi

Not my taste but my sister has them and thinks they're the business!!
    I like the Red Robin, when mature it's probably the best compromise for an evergreen hedge.. Would take much longer for the same level of wind protection..

I think the biggest rule for lleylandi is if you have direct neighbors they are a no-no, otherwise be ready for lots of people to hate your hedge and never never miss clipping it, once it's overgrown it's a monster that can't be tamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

padowado wrote: »
    Any of those hedgeing will take too much work
    They grow too fast....and if you cut them too much
    they will never re grow
    try beech in autumn or Red Robin or laural
    not grisellina the frost killed all them last winter

Grisellinia would have been my choice and nearly was last year but after the winter we had thank God we didn't spend our money on it. The frost totalled my Mam's hedge of 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How about other conifer hedging..
    Was reading about Western Red cedar hedging..

Will give the complete strong hedge people look for with Lleylandi , slower growing and if cut back hard aparrently it regrows from old timber which is a major advantage over Lleylandi..

Has anyone seen a hedge of it ?? would it be good for exposed/frosty sites??

Advertisement