Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Doggy and Pet Insurance

• 06-05-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

So basically my poor big puppy hasnnt eaten anything since Mon. Ok form tue but wed evening he really was not well. Could barely lift his head, bloody diarrhoea and no interest in eating or drinking. Brought him to the vet late wed night who said he had a high temp, keep syringing fluid into him (special rehydration fluid), gave him 2 injections and antibiotics for me to give him and said he'd be as right as rain by thurs.
    So yesterday came and he was really no better. Still not drinking or eating and was even more lethargic. Brought him back to vet who said he was very dehydrated and kept him in last night for fluids. Much happier with this as is awful to see him so sick. I was really upset by the whole thing!
    Vet seems sure it's just a bad case of gastro with him.

So got me thinking, gosh I really need to get some pet insurance. Rang allianz for a quote who have informed me that as he has seen a vet for gastro if he ever got it again I would not be covered for it as its an existing illness????? Gastro isn't exactly a long term illness that he'll be living with forever and quite a common run of the mill bug that every walk of life picks up. Was suprised by this and quite annoyed by the whole thing!
    Anyone any suggestions or tips on allianz. Should I just go with it or try a few other companies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You can try as many companies as you like, but now that he has a 'pre-existing condition' they may refuse to cover similar illnesses- it's fairly standard practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No insurance company will cover your pet for any condition or illness it has suffered from before you take out the policy.
    Thats why its always a good idea to try and take out pet insurance when the dog is a pup or as early as possible so you are covered for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

No they won't cover you - we had our pup 5 days and she came down with parvo and the vet very kindly put down that it was gastro but it was made clear to us that if in the future that she had gastro again it would not be covered. She had to get an operation to have a lump removed from between her toes and that was covered.

Gastro is not a nice thing - my youngest dog I had to rush to the vets on Wednesday with it as well and she is on medication now - she is a big breed dog so much hardier then a small pup they get sick so quick, thankfully our one is making a good recovery and was back to wiggley bums this morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Gosh just suprised that is classed as a long term illness. Feel it's unfair as with humans VHI wouldnt bat an eyelid!

Yeah he's only 10months old so struck him down quite bad. 25.5kg last thurs for his vacines and only 23kg wed night! Heading into see him now and bringing some tasty grub as apparently he still hasnt eaten anything today. Not sure what to do about the pert insurance. Might talk to the vet and see what they say.

Cheers for the tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its got nothing to do with it being a long term illness. Its because the dog has already suffered from it at some stage so could be prone to it occurring again so it would be a risk for the company so they dont insure for conditions that the dog has already suffered with.

I would still recommend insurance as there are so many other conditions and illnesses they could suffer with so i wouldnt be overly concerned just because one illness isnt covered on your policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

They might and should drop the restriction on your policy when you go to renew in a years time (as long as it doesn't happen again). Hope he gets well soon.

Advertisement