Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydiving Gear

• 06-05-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently started skydiving an am working towards my A licence at the moment (completed AFF, 26 jumps in total).

I want to start putting together all gear essentials apart from the rig itself, so jumpsuit, goggles, alti and helmet.

I don't really want to buy online as I like to try stuff out before I buy (I don't want to wait weeks for a jumpsuit only to find it doesn't fit or isn't comfortable).

Anybody got any advice on where to look? I did most of my jumps abroad so I don't know many skydivers here in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I've only started myself (Static line & 30 jumps) so I haven't bought gear yet but the IPC is my dz and there seems to be a lot of people buying and selling gear among themselves up there - most will let you have a few test jumps with it before you buy.

Also a lot of lads jump in the states so if there was something you wanted brought home (new alti for example) they would carry it home (for a few beers of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Thanks. My AFF and first 24 jumps were in Spain/US.

I did two hop n pops at the IPC a couple of weeks ago and hopefully I'll get to do my coached jumps there over the next few weeks, weather permitting of course.

I'll keep my ears open next time I'm up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭carveone

Sent you a pm before realised you live in Waterford (I'm in Dublin)! Oh well.

I wouldn't be too worried about buying online. I bought most of my stuff from ParaGear in the US (I was jumping in Canada) and didn't have any issues. Buy a ProTech helmet and an alti at least. Goggles aren't a big deal - even the IPC shop should stock them. I've lost one every 80 jumps on average! Ask other jumpers what they have and try their stuff on.

A jumpsuit can be hard to find a decent fit in second hand. I got lucky with fine and it fits really perfectly - get the height and weight right and you won't be far wrong (if you're a guy - women really need to try it on first) Unfortunately the colours are garish (the spandex is pink!) but hey, what can you do.

Conor.

Advertisement