Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tag bashing

• 06-05-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

First read through the posts here and noticed a fair bit of Tag bashing and even a comment about being similar to BMW/Audi/Average Joe etc

What's that all about? Reads like a bit of snobbery.

(I wear a Carrera auto btw :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

E39MSport wrote: »
    First read through the posts here and noticed a fair bit of Tag bashing and even a comment about being similar to BMW/Audi/Average Joe etc

What's that all about? Reads like a bit of snobbery.

(I wear a Carrera auto btw :-)
    I think that perhaps it's because TAG watches seem to be worn by people who seek to impress others, perhaps due to their marketing. Having said that, you could probably level the same accusation at Rolex.

I dunno to be honest - I wouldn't be a fan of TAG designs particularly, but I've nothing against the brand either.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago the BMW seemed to be the idiot's car of choice - now it seems to be Audi. Has anyone else noticed this? (I drive one of those two - I'm not labelling every driver :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

hehe

re: the Tag, I think it looks and feels lovely. I'm not one for impressing others - too old now :rolleyes:

I like watching the mechanism work from the back.. the watch that is :)

I like watching the mechanism work from the back.. the watch that is :)
    Don't look too long, or you'll find one watch isn't quite enough...it's a slippery slope from there on! :eek: :)

Don't look too long, or you'll find one watch isn't quite enough...it's a slippery slope from there on! :eek: :)

I know what you mean ....
    I'm struggling to hold on any way near the top of that particular slope ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it's down to some snobbery(when someone asks for advice on buying her boyfriend a Tag Whoer..:D), but also the marketing of them. Them and Rolex would be about the only names "normal people" would know with maybe some knowing Breitling. Of the three I'd personally rate Rolex the most, followed by Hueur with Breitling at the bottom. I find a lot of the latter two's designs can tend towards tacky, overly busy of dial and bezel. Brietling being the worst offender for me. The earlier pre TAG Hueur's have some real lookers and clean designs in the range(Carreras in particular). That's me being a vintage snob though :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I don't think it's all snobbery, there was a time when Heuer was a well respected company, and indeed most of their older models still are very respected. The problem now is there is a general feeling that the level of workmanship is going down while the price is rising. It is true that Tag make a lot more quartz watches now than they used to (in fact I have one on my wrist now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Nolimits wrote: »
    I don't think it's all snobbery, there was a time when Heuer was a well respected company, and indeed most of their older models still are very respected. The problem now is there is a general feeling that the level of workmanship is going down while the price is rising. It is true that Tag make a lot more quartz watches now than they used to (in fact I have one on my wrist now).

Try and get your mits on the vintage Heuer Pasadena watch
    lovely piece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep this. Now that's the case across the mainstream industry in general IMHO. Quality of workmanship is going down. Even on the mechanical front. A midrange chrono say of 1955 is equivalent to a high end chrono of today(notwithstanding improvements in materials). TAG being one of the best known get more stick for that from the watch snobs. Rolex not so much. They get the reverse snobbery thing, but their movements can be a bit meh too. http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0036

Just for full disclosure I have a Heuer myself. Late 60's vintage though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

yea, late 60s was their golden era. i love watches of all designs but never had an interest in heuer or tag heuer or whatever it used to be called.

i think most enthusiasts would like to have the blue monaco from the 60s and thats about it.

they are the brand that non watch enthusiasts aspire to, after rolex that is.

emo72 wrote: »
    they are the brand that non watch enthusiasts aspire to, after rolex that is.
    How have Omega dodged that bullet (if in fact they have)? Is their marketing just not as good as TAG's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

How have Omega dodged that bullet (if in fact they have)? Is their marketing just not as good as TAG's?

have they? i really dunno:confused: i remember when i was buying a seamaster a few friends asked why didnt i buy a rolex or a tag?

"2 grand!!!? Sure ya cudda got a rolex or a tag for that much".:D

okay, maybe look at it this way, rolex tag and omega are the brands most non watch people aspire to own. however, of that three rolex and omega are brands that watch enthusiasts will lust after.

I'd put Breitling ahead of Omega in the general non watch nutz choice. My impression over the years has been that Omega is considered more mid range than Tag and certainly more than Breitling
    emo72 wrote:
    yea, late 60s was their golden era. i love watches of all designs but never had an interest in heuer or tag heuer or whatever it used to be called.

i think most enthusiasts would like to have the blue monaco from the 60s and thats about it.
    The "steve mcqueen" one? Yea. I'd prefer his early type 20 pilots watch myself, or a Heuer monaco with black dial and black PVD case *drools*

I'd add the carrera models to that. Pretty much the perfect dress chrono. I've rarely seen a better simpler more elegant design. IMHO anyway.
    carrera2.jpg
    Maybe the Camaro and Autavia ranges too. If you're a chronograph collector you'd have a lot of vintage Heuers in your sights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That's a beautiful watch W. Thanks for sharing.

I love there strapped look over their bracelets. Currently looking at two or three Tag models.

If you're looking for vintage, this guy http://www.heuerboy.com/heuerwatches.htm is good.

Respect for the knowledge on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"Hey, I like your Submariner"
    "Huh? No this is a Rolex :cool:"

:eek:

Kudos on the Carerra. Of the current Tag line up it is my favorite...

tag-heuer-carrera.jpg

On the question of snobbery, I guess there is an element of it towards Tag Heuer. When someone has a little cash set aside or is seeking to buy a 'nice' watch...where 'nice' is assumed to mean a Swiss mechanical as opposed to quartz ,Tag are considered 'nice' based on the ubiquitous marketing. Tag are perceived as being a nice watch to the general public and thus a status symbol.

Upon closer inspection however, we realise that the majority of the 'nice' Swiss movements are in fact all based on the same workhorse ETA base caliber. However the choice boils down to personal taste and preference. I'm not a car nut so I don't know if BMW Audi are better. I do know despite my ignorance that Mercedes tend to have a good reputation for building solid cars. Same goes for watches really. In reality Mercedes may not be better it's just based on perceived wisdom.

The snobbery stems from seeing Tag selling quartz movements over the €1,000 level for what is essentially a fashion watch which is over-inflated to fund the marketing campaigns and pay celebrity endorsements.

Like the "No, this is a Rolex!" man, who purchased based on perceived status versus appreciation of movement, design etc.
    That nothing against Tag wearers though but personally if I was looking at buying one it would be the vintage route as pointed out.

I almost bought one a vintage Tag 200 quartz for $180 last year but chickened out. :( I regret it now.

http://www.farfo.com/images/tagheuer1000black.jpg

Yes - thats what I wear daily but with the silver face.

I like it. I have to take it off though at gigs/games etc as it hurts when I clap my hands :D

I like it. I have to take it off though at gigs/games etc as it hurts when I clap my hands :D
    There is a solution to that problem without having to take off your watch. Go to s*** concerts and games.

HTH.

There is a solution to that problem without having to take off your watch. Go to s*** concerts and games.

HTH.

Almost preferable :)

But seriously, it can hurt quite a bit

edit: mine is slightly loose on my arm as preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

The prices certainly do seem to be rising. RRP of a Tag Carrera Chrono in your High St jeweller:
    • December 2010 €2,650
    • Today €3,050 :eek:
    Have they started putting diamonds in them or something?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement