Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first telescope

Options
  • 06-05-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi - looking to buy a telescope for my boyfriend - he's a total newbie to Astronomy and I've come across a Helios 114mm 900 mm. Would this be "better" than the bressler ones that were sold in Lidl, seen a few of these second hand? Not looking for too much tech info - just a basic guideline as to which is preferable.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Have a look at www.astronomy.ie. They have a good selection of telescopes and good advice.

I am not connected in any way with them except as a member of Astronomy Ireland as a hobby, so I have no ulterior motive in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Lots of people on this forum like the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ.

I liked mine as it gave decent, sharp views and was easy to use, move around and store. It's a very decent scope!

(I've since sold mine as I got a larger scope and the Astromaster was not getting used)

I think Astronomy Ireland have those for about €200.

If you trawl the Interweb-thingy you'll find it for cheaper delivered (but without the shop support).

Clear skies,
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I would prefer the bresser telescopes over the helios telescopes. Bresser have a good name and rightly so. You'll have to buy them online though as nobody in Ireland sells anything new other than celestron.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Lidl has the Meade Bresser R-102 once or twice a year for something about €300 or so.

http://www.meade.de/en/products/telescopes/product.html?act=pdis&actid=4702100

Very capable scope with a nice solid mount (total assembly is over 20 kg) and decent finder scope. Comes with 3 eyepieces and a 2x Barlow.

Advertisement