Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has cancer. :(

• 06-05-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I went to the vet today, as my dog has lumps on her chest.. The vet had a look at her and told me that she most likely has cancer. I have to go back in a few weeks to see if the lumps have gotten any bigger and possibly do a biopsy..

Anyway has anyone had any experience with dogs having cancer? She's an old dog now (about 13/14 years).. She's not in pain or anything and is still active, etc but I want her to be in the least amount of pain possible. :(

Any suggestions etc welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to hear about your little dog.

Is there any chance you could get a second opinion? Why is the vet waiting a few weeks? I would want the biopsy done straight away to give your dog the best possible chance.
    If you arent happy then i would go elsewhere as i wouldnt be happy with a vet waiting a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I second andreac's suggestion of a second opinion.
    There are LOADS of different cancers out there which have varying prognoses. If you get a biopsy done at least you'll know what type of cancer and therefore the liklihood of recurrence or prognosis.
    Might be worth asking your vet do a biopsy, or if you're not happy with the overall level of care you're currently getting, get a recommendation of another vet in your area and make an appointment.
    'Cancer' is such a broad diagnosis; if it was my dog I'd want something more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

So sorry to hear about this!

If it definitely IS cancer, don't lose hope immediately. There's possibly medication or they might even consider a lump removal that could help your dog keep going on for as long as is comfortable for the poor mite.

Its all got to be weighed up against quality of life versus intervention, especially at such a good old age.

My 12 year old collie cross was 'not right' for a while and it took about a month to figure out that he had liver cancer. The vet said that he might consider an operation in a younger dog, but the procedure would have been highly invasive and stressful and might not have left enough liver for him to survive with anyway.

I kept old Sam on tablets to help with pain and sickness for about another month, when he passed away at home peacefully. If he'd been suffering at any point, obviously I would have considered how best to help him on his way.

You have my kindest wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Thanks everyone for replies. Will definitely go for the biopsy next week, can't right now due to money constraints! I'll keep ye posted about how she is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I am so sorry to hear about your dog:( What is you dog's name?
    A few years ago my dog was diagnosed with mammary cancer - she had the first lump removed, then the second and then the third but the fourth was inoperable and she had to be PTS. She was 18 and a half years old at the time and she had cancer for well over a year, but she did not suffer in any way. She was the sweetest most loving girl imaginable and I have a plaque to her in the garden that read "All Dogs Go to Heaven. Toto, 1986 - 2005. Always loved" - I think of her every day.
    As long as your dog is not suffering, is eating, content and happy he/she may continue on for a while to come - I do hope so:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement