Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Some advice...

Options
  • 06-05-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so this is day 4 of the trial and I'm still a little lost. I've gone through most of the agent training missions and I've decided to do a spot of mining as I don't think I'm up to much else at this point.

My first question is: what ship should I use to mine? I'm with the Gallente Fed. and I've got access to all of the frigate ships. Because of the larger cargohold space available, I've decided to use the Catalyst and not the Navitas. Is this wise?

I'm also a little confused why the Basic Expanded Cargohold is being offered at 399,000 ISK (user prices aren't that all that much cheaper) whereas the Expanded cargohold 1 is a mere 2100 ISK. I find it difficult to weight the specs up against one another but it seems to me that the latter has greater cargo space. Is it just regional prices massively inflating costs?

Finally, I'm wondering what combat is all about. I've done the NPC thing (which is quite boring after a while) but I'm wondering if you can simply attack other players (or they attack you). Can you, for example, just pop along to an area with a high security level and start blasting? Do you become wanted? Is it players that chase you or is it NPC?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not played in a while, but i'll answer what i can.
    My first question is: what ship should I use to mine? I'm with the Gallente Fed. and I've got access to all of the frigate ships. Because of the larger cargohold space available, I've decided to use the Catalyst and not the Navitas. Is this wise?

Mining in a Frigate will be a massive pain. Very small cargo space, and really not designed for it. Get yourself into a Cruiser, ideally the Exequror for it's much larger cargo hold. If you do want to mine, get yourself to at least Battleships, and use a Dominix though. Also, solo mining is possibly the most boring thing in the history of gaming.
    I'm also a little confused why the Basic Expanded Cargohold is being offered at 399,000 ISK (user prices aren't that all that much cheaper) whereas the Expanded cargohold 1 is a mere 2100 ISK. I find it difficult to weight the specs up against one another but it seems to me that the latter has greater cargo space. Is it just regional prices massively inflating costs?

Not sure about this, but it's probably just someone hoping a lazy and rich player will buy it there rather then going a few jumps. Or it might be a t2 fitting.
    Finally, I'm wondering what combat is all about. I've done the NPC thing (which is quite boring after a while) but I'm wondering if you can simply attack other players (or they attack you). Can you, for example, just pop along to an area with a high security level and start blasting? Do you become wanted? Is it players that chase you or is it NPC?

If you attack a random person in highspec, Concord will jump in an kill you. They are the unkillable police force in Eve. Unless you are war-decced with the target, you will get killed for attacking them. You can fight back if attacked though (at least i think you can).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

OK, so this is day 4 of the trial and I'm still a little lost. I've gone through most of the agent training missions and I've decided to do a spot of mining as I don't think I'm up to much else at this point.
    Mining will make you quit the game. Especially in high sec. The rate of return isn't worth the intense boredom. Seriously.
    Don't mine. Honestly. If you want to pve, try exploration or missioning.
    A minor not-a-scam way to make money is to put something cheap down at an exorbitant price in the hopes someone clicks it by accident.
    You can attack others anywhere.
    There's a heirarchy called security though.
    In highsec, you lose security status and CONCORD will attack you. In the right ship, you can still kill your target first. There's a trade called suicide ganking where you attack a high value target, kill it, get a friend to scoop the loot while you get blown up by CONCORD.
    In lowsec, CONCORD won't come, but you will lose sec status. Lose enough sec status and you won't be able to enter Empire space (highsec) without getting attacked by the Empire navy.
    Nullsec, there's no npc consequences. It's the Wild West.

Now, questions answered, a bit of advice. Take a look into the EVE University. It's a good corp for a new player. You'll get an introduction to combat, albeit usually in a large fleet rather than solo or small gang warfare. They have a ship replacement program, they'll give you skillbooks, new ships and most importantly, you can make friends. EVE is a lonely game to play on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

A good resource for starters but a long read - http://www.isktheguide.com/ PDF download or you can shell out for the print version (some differences may apply) but free is good.

If the Rules of Acquisition could be downloaded in a complete form then it would be the Sun Tzu - Art of War for Eve.

The catalyst is a good miner, lots of turret slots but still the cargo space is small. Mining is always going to be boring but at least you can do it while watching something or surfing. Consider jettisoning the ore in to a can and each time your lasers complete a cycle, move that ore in to the jet can, once you've gone long enough, dock and switch to an industrial ship, one that will hold a lot more than a frigate, destroyer or cruiser and collect the ore. That will save time but has the disadvantage of ore thieves and can flippers. Bookmark the can so you can warp back to it easily, otherwise it will take longer and as we all know, time is profit.

Using an industrial (I hate that name) has a side effect, what if you can see your ore for 2 isk per unit more only one jump away? It means you can move that **** fairly fast! Speaking of which, don't bother with the Iteron IV, go Iteron III or bestower. If your committed to industrial's then train for the Iteron MkV.

If it was the old times I'd say train up for battleship and mine your brains out but missions are better for bringing in the isk tbh. Get enough isk together to buy a combat frigate and have enough left over to buy it 10 times more and go shoot some **** and then decide what's better, mining asteroids and selling ore/minerals on the market or shooting (mining isk tbh) npc's and getting rewards from agents.

If you want to mine go frigate-cruiser-barge with a side order of industrial. Battleships are nice but don't think you can just get a fitting off fail-heap and go kill things after all you've done with one is desiccate some roids. Stay with the cheap **** if you want to kill things and have some fun. Don't be afriad to "cross-train" either (train skills from other races) Rifters are great frigates.

What do you mean by user prices?

If you look up Expanded cargohold 1 and look at it's info there's a handy tab called variations and at the bottom of that tab there's a button "compare" It will lets you see all the variations and their attributes in a list, really handy BUT it gets better, keep that compare window open (it should say compare tool at the top) and look up the basic cargo expander in the market, do the info-variations-compare thing again and... it adds it to the comare tool window! Now if you check the cargo capacity bonus check box and then sort by cargo bonus you'll see that the basic expander is on the **** end of the list. It's a great way to compare the other modules and make sure your not using modules that you couldn't even refine for 0.01 isk.

It's the law of mistakes... and the bots. Many people scan the market looking for hole that need to be filled and some do it on the old believe that rich people in a rush will buy anything before looking twice. Anything under 100m isk is nothing to a lot of players so anything that is measured in k is basically pennies. If you visit Jita you'll see many prices that are at .98, .97, .96. Just to get to the top of the list when people sort by price. It's the law of laziness that comes in to play for both, some people are too lazy to click on another item and just buy what they see and some people will just buy the "lowest" price in Jita.

Items that are prefixed by basic or civillian are no longer dropped in the game and can be ignored, they just haven't been removed as it's more trouble than it's worth and there are always collectors that want to have one of everything.

Combat is a long story, just don't attack players in any system that is 0.5 and above or you ship will get destroyed by wizards (I mean the police(concord)) 0.4 and below is a free for all, you might wander there thinking you'll kill someone but more than likely you'll go "wft" and find yourself back in the station where your clone is (keep your clone up to date!) wondering what just happened. My only advice is, do some agent combat missions and see how your weapons work along with tanking (not sure if your familiar with MMO speak: tanking in eve is the ability to absorb damage without getting your **** ****ed up)

The only combat knowledge shortcut I know is Forced Direct Brain Engram Transfers or FEDBET (I know the spelling is wrong but this is the internet) which means you join a decent corp (guild) and someone tells you the best way to survive. Whatever corp you got put in to when you joined is NOT a decent corp.

Which brings me to the last part. Have fun in Eve. If you don't have fun then it's a chore you pay to preform. If your not having fun than change, join a corp, leave a corp (and steal their assets while laughing and have your fingers crossed you turn up in the news for stealing a ****-load of stuff) try exploration, try PvP, try market PvP, try anything you can think of.

Rule 75: Home is where the heart is ... but the stars are made of latinum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks for the replies. I've been chugging away and I'm not convinced that the investment is worth it. Space just seems so lonely even when you are in a corp of Russians :( Anyway, I'll play away and decide nearer the time if I'll subscribe. If I don't I'd be happy to give my piddly millions (3 and counting) to anyone who replied above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Thanks for the replies. I've been chugging away and I'm not convinced that the investment is worth it. Space just seems so lonely even when you are in a corp of Russians :( Anyway, I'll play away and decide nearer the time if I'll subscribe. If I don't I'd be happy to give my piddly millions (3 and counting) to anyone who replied above.

It really helps to start with at least one other person as you'll progress faster (making the same mistakes but usually only one of you makes one and both learn) If you can convince someone to start the game along with you it makes a drastic change to how you will view it.

Eve - not a solo (when starting!) game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Try applying to join http://www.eveuniversity.org/

Eve is boring if you have no one to do stuff with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mantel wrote: »
    Try applying to join http://www.eveuniversity.org/

Eve is boring if you have no one to do stuff with.
    This.

I started and quit a couple of times, for pretty much the reasons you give for wanting to quit. Then, on another attempt to get into it, I joined Eve Uni. MAkes things a lot better.

Advertisement