Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Closing a] Student Credit Card

Options
  • 06-05-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey everyone! I opened an Ulster Bank account with my university in 2009, it came with a 650 euro overdraft and a 450 credit card- needless to say the biggest regret of my life. Anyway I'm after saving up to close the credit card but I was wondering how do i go about it? Can I just go into the bank and close it or do I need to write a letter? Any advice would be hugely appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Write a letter stating that you wish to close the account and you've destroyed the card. Call them for the address, or it should be listed on your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also you will be charged the goverment stamp duty when closing.

Its charged every March/April to cover the previous year. Its €30. No way around this unfortunately. They have no choice but to charge it even though only part of year you have the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

ring the number on back of your card/ on your credit card statement and they will advse you what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

OP, instead of destorying your card, you could always wrap it well in bin liner and elastic bands, and submerge it in a glass of water and freeze it!

A credit card always comes in handy for little emergencies and for building up a good credit rating. If you close your account you will find it next to impossible to obtain one again considering the current financial climate

Advertisement