Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord To Increase Rent

Options
  • 06-05-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My current lease is due for renewal at the end of the month. I just got a call from the letting agency who want to incease the rent,

I was told the property rent has increase by 100 euro per calander month, but they are will to meet me half way with an increase of 50euro pcm.

I have already replied saying that is outside my budgetary capabilities and that i can only offer what i am currently paying, but this was not accepted.

Do I have anyother options besides paying the increase in rent or finding alternative accomadation as trying to negotiate did not get me anywhere.

Any help or advice will be welcom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

What are other rents in the area like? Are you renting the apartment on your own? If they are not open to negotiations then I think you probably should start looking for somewhere to live. Its a pain in the ass but at the end of the day if its outside your budget it doesn't leave you with much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

once the rent is within the norm for the area not much you can do. I'd be surprised if any LL would do that but that is his prerogative even if a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Landlord risks losing a tenant for the sake of 600 euro a year, probably less than one months rent and and when you take into account the extra costs that would be involved in re-letting the property, such as advertising and PRTB costs. Sounds mad to me. OP stick to your guns and LL will see sense

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Look around at similar properties for rent and if you find one for lower rent-go back to agency and tell them that the market rent is lower than your rent and you are staying put at the current rent. Tell them you will appeal the rent decision to the tenancy board.

Maybe they will decide its less hassle to keep you rather than lose you. Landlord probably wants you to pay for the recent 0.25% increase in his investment mortgage-But thats his problem.

MrBlack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

mrblack wrote: »
    Landlord probably wants you to pay for the recent 0.25% increase in his investment mortgage-But thats his problem.

MrBlack

And he might keep coming for the future predicted interest rate increases too if you don't play hardball now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

I'm amazed at how blinding could greed be... To loose a tenant in such times is so stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP - like has already been mentioned .... search around and you'll probably find a similar place in your area at the same rent or even cheaper than you are paying now (rents in most places have dropped significantly in the last 12months)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

tell them you will not accept an increase and are happy to continue at current rates, before the agent has time to open his mouth say if the landlord does not agree by the end of the day you are leaving.

Good tennants are a valuable commodity these days and if your landlord doesnt think the same let him find out the hard way.

I pay 450 a month for a 4 bed house, next door looking for 850 at the moment.

We have been easy pickings for letting agents for too long dudes.

Viva la rentalution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Tell him you just can't afford that and give him written notice.

If he isn't as stupid as he sounds he probably will relent.

However he could be deliberately pushing the rent up knowing you can't afford it in order to get you out. Are you paying around the market rate for your area? Is there any reason he/she might want you to leave?

Advertisement