Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha Drag Star 650

• 06-05-2011 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Will hopefully be buying one of these in the next month.

However my budget will probably only go as far as a 1998-2001 model. How do others here rate them? I am really keen on them but also wary of buying such an old bike (even if it has low miles as many do) as it may become tricky to get parts. Once had to wait 6 weeks for a headlight for an Aprilia to arrive from Italy and I dont wanna be going down that road again.

Also I dont have anywhere to garage it. Would leavng such a bike out in all weather at night & day do some damege to all the metal work, exhaust, etc? Not 100% sure if it is chrome or not but does rain damage this metal over time?

And are they considered (in general) reliable? That is my main concern...

Have also considered a Honda Shadow and Suzuki Maurader but neither appeal more than the Drag Star. However I am open to other suggestions as Im not an expert on bikes and the many different models.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Hi having owned a few bikes now (currently have a zx6r and a shadow 750) one of them also before was a dragstar 650 (2000) model.
    well what can i say it is reliable, good looking not too heavy and good on fuel consumption but one of my complaints is that it is just underpowered esp on motorways and when you have a pillion. i traded in that dragstar and got myself a shadow 750 which has way more power and go and i find the sitting position much comfy.
    anyways thats just me what important is sit on it and take it for a test drive and do a motorcheck on it, regarding parts there is always secondhand ones in breakers and ebay of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Howdy RATM,Cant really comment on the Dragstar,but would imagine by their popularity that parts should be easy enough come by. The age of a bike shouldnt be a deterrent either.An old bike well minded will stand you in better stead than a newer,abused one. I have a 97 Fazer with 55k km on the clock.It was and is well minded and runs like a clock.Also,I dont have a garage either-bike is out all the time but i have a decent cover for it that keeps it protected from the elements

I had one for five years. It never broke down and always started first time. No problems with it at all.
    Yamaha sold loads of them so parts will not be hard to get, there's tons of aftermarket options anyway.
    They are solid dependable bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the advice lads- its good to hear they are reliable and tough. I won't be carrying any pillions as Im still a learner (test coming in July or August) so will need to get it restricted I think ?

Glad to hear its a good bike after the Aprilia I just owned previously. It once tool Aprilia 6 weeks to send out a new headlight bulb from Italy- atrocious service and I'd never buy one again as a result of it.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between the Drag Star and the XVS Im seeing a few of. The look a bit the same but was wondering whats different between them?

There are two versions, both called xvs. One is the classic with bigger mudgaurds and the other is a more stripped down version. Pretty much the same bikes beside a few cosmetic differences. I don't think it needs to be restricted. I didn't restrict mine when I had it, passed my test on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

agree with nial here im not really sure but there are loads of arguments on this that with the power to weight ratio this bike doesnt need restricting.

post up some pics if you do get one good luck!

Great thanks lads. Just one more question- I cannot garage this bike, it will be outdoors 24/7. Would I be damaging the chrome (?) on the bike if its sitting in prolonged Irish rain? If so is there an easy fix? I'm just worried about buying it and then it looking like crap a year later. I notice many motorbike ads state that the bike has been garaged so presuming this is seen as an advantage over one that hasn't ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

RATM wrote: »
    Great thanks lads. Just one more question- I cannot garage this bike, it will be outdoors 24/7. Would I be damaging the chrome (?) on the bike if its sitting in prolonged Irish rain? If so is there an easy fix? I'm just worried about buying it and then it looking like crap a year later. I notice many motorbike ads state that the bike has been garaged so presuming this is seen as an advantage over one that hasn't ?

Some of the oil pipes around the engine are prone to rusting. Just give them a wipe with wd40 every couple of weeks. The chrome will be fine as long as you clean and polish the bike regularly.
    This is what mine looked like when I traded it in after five years. It was kept outside at all times, just a cover thrown over it when not in use:
    My Old Bike.jpg

Thanks for that Nialler24- the pic of the bike looks superb and you've put my mind at rest :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement