Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claregalway hotel - Galway city??

Options
  • 06-05-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭

Ok i have 2 nights b&b in a selection of hotels around Ireland to use up in next month or and thinking of maybe heading to this hotel.

So i have a few questions.

Whats the price of a return ticket from Dublin to Galway usually i have never gotten the train here before only ever headed down by car.

How far of a drive would it be from Galway city station in Eyre square to the Hotel itself??

Google maps says bout 15 minutes would this be right?? Im heading with me girlfriend so for example taxi from station to hotel would cost maybe bout 15 euro??

Im just looking for something that not gonna cost us an arm an leg cause where both not working at moment and really i just wanna have a laugh and nice break away from Dublin with out us needing a ton a money.

Any help and advice be great thanks!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I taxi will cost at a minimum 20. How long it will take depends completely on the time you head out as traffic can be bad. It's a fantastic hotel though for what you pay and fab food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks for the reply guess ill have to work this out and think bout it. Its the list of hotels i was given there all kinda on the outskirts of the city of the county there in. And i dont drive so ive no way around it.

Would cost fair bit if had to get couple taxis at min 20 euro a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

You could get a bus if you dont have much luggage.You're arriving into Ceannt which also the bus station for bus eireann.Services to Claregalway are fairly regular and les than half the price.Also Feda O Donnell and a few other operators go through there.Enjoy the trip and stay in Galway,I'm off to the same town for this weekend but I'll be in the other hotel.

There are nice B&Bs on College Road, a stroll away from the city centre.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There are nice B&Bs on College Road, a stroll away from the city centre.

I have to pick from option of a certain list of hotels in Ireland so this was only one around Galway that was anyway near to city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What other hotel's are on the list?

RubyGirl wrote: »
    What other hotel's are on the list?

http://irishcountryhotels.com/hotels/

Claregalway Hotel is the only one really so for Galway. I would e-mail the hotel and get a bus timetable from them. Explain to them that you will be coming by train. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel going into town so it's great for going into town Saturday.
    The hotel itself is great, it has music most weekends and the food is very good.
    I think a taxi would be expensive enough, maybe ring a hackney and ask how much it would cost before trip.
    Not sure on train prices but the bus would also save you money here!

Claregalway Hotel is the only one really so for Galway. I would e-mail the hotel and get a bus timetable from them. Explain to them that you will be coming by train. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel going into town so it's great for going into town Saturday.
    The hotel itself is great, it has music most weekends and the food is very good.
    I think a taxi would be expensive enough, maybe ring a hackney and ask how much it would cost before trip.
    Not sure on train prices but the bus would also save you money here!

I checked out citylink bus down to Galway from Dublin is 36 euro return for the two of us so perfect like and its only few minutes longer then a train.

Then theres the 47 bus i think is that goes from galway city to claregalway to so id just have to check where the bus station in claregalway is so i know how close to hotel would be.

I think they pull up on the main road where the hotel is.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think they pull up on the main road where the hotel is.

Deadly :) ill double check on google maps anyway.
    Thanks for all the replys hopefully can get all this sorted in next day or so then look forward to it!!

We had our wedding reception there, couldn't fault it. Hope ye have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

All bus eireann buses heading north from galway come through Claregalway,ones for Derry,Sligo,some Ballina and Castlebar services as well as local service that you mentioned.The bus stop is around 80 yards north of the Claregalway Hotel.

I checked out citylink bus down to Galway from Dublin is 36 euro return for the two of us so perfect like and its only few minutes longer then a train.

Then theres the 47 bus i think is that goes from galway city to claregalway to so id just have to check where the bus station in claregalway is so i know how close to hotel would be.[/QUOTE]

There would'nt be a bus station as such, the bus stops just past hughes shopping centre on your left as your gong into the village and it's just off the right of the hotel when your going back into town. Have a look at street maps on google earth and it will give you a view of the street.

Then theres the 47 bus i think is that goes from galway city to claregalway to so id just have to check where the bus station in claregalway is so i know how close to hotel would be.[/QUOTE]

There would'nt be a bus station as such, the bus stops just past hughes shopping centre on your left as your gong into the village and it's just off the right of the hotel when your going back into town. Have a look at street maps on google earth and it will give you a view of the street.

Ill have a look its the 417 bus that heads from Eyre square area.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1274366592-417.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

You could get Burke's bus too. €3 to Claregalway single, and you can just get off wherever you want.

elefant wrote: »
    You could get Burke's bus too. €3 to Claregalway single, and you can just get off wherever you want.

Where bouts do u get it from?? Just have be carefull with these buses never gotten a bus outside of Dublin in this Country and i aint been in Galway since was a kid so i dont have clue haha :P

It stops at the bus stop on prospect hill (half way down the hill)...not far from the train station.

edit: and if you get citylink or gobus from Dublin to Galway it's just across the road from the coach station in Galway.

Where does it stop then in related to the Claregalway hotel how close??

Sorry all questions just wanna make sure of where im going.

Where does it stop then in related to the Claregalway hotel how close??

Sorry all questions just wanna make sure of where im going.

Like I said, you can just ask the driver to stop wherever you want!

• Advertisement

Like I said, you can just ask the driver to stop wherever you want!

Ahhh ok lol good service by sounds of it. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It stops at the bus stop on prospect hill (half way down the hill)...not far from the train station.

edit: and if you get citylink or gobus from Dublin to Galway it's just across the road from the coach station in Galway.
    its bothar brendain ui eithir not Prospect Hill.
    Angerfist just type in 'gobus galway' on google maps and click option 'A' its right there outside gobus' office that Burkes Bus goes from. timetables below.
    http://www.burkesbus.com/

Jeez, I always assumed that hill was the hill in Prospect Hill... Learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A couple of useful maps for ya:

Claregalway neighbourhood map - shows where the Claregalway bus stop and other major features are.

Galway regional bus stops map - shows the major regional bus stops in Galway city

Forget the train: the non-stop buses (GoBus and half of the Citylinks) are quicker and cheaper.

One more thing: The nice folks in Burkes Buses run licenced buses, just like all the other bus companies. To get their route licences, they have to agree routes and bus-stops with the garda. Legally, they're no more allowed to let you off "wherever you want" than any other bus company is. It's possible that their customer-service orientation makes them more likely to do so. But when you ask them to let you off between stops, do remember they they're taking legal/insurance risks if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

The bus stop is at the claregalway hotel right across the road and its 3.50 one way its kinda every half or 45mins till around 6 afaik . I live in Claregalway myself its a lovely village, The hotel is a lovely hotel staff are friendly rooms are nice and there is a really good leisure centre with everything you would expect and a good gym .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Then theres the 47 bus i think is that goes from galway city to claregalway to so id just have to check where the bus station in claregalway is so i know how close to hotel would be.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

enjoy your time down the country

edit: seriously though galways fantastic

Advertisement