Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a point promoting my band here??

• 06-05-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm not suggesting that this site is crap, at all!!! My problem is, I feel that people reading this particular page are here (like myself) to promote their music, and so have little interest in reading about other peoples music.

Like with MySpace. Everyone who's on my space is interested in promoting themselves, I know of very few people who go to my space seeking new music, most people listen to the radio for that, or chat with their friends on facebook, and share music that way.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and there is a point, but I feel it would be pointless.

If you are interested in hearing us, probably the best place is www.youtube.com/lamphmusic or www.myspace.com/lamphmusic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There's no point expecting other people to listen to your music if you don't listen to other people's music yourself. So I promote Peaks on here, and I check out as many of the other bands on here as I can. My favourite Boards band is 1808 - you should have a goo at their bandcamp page and give 'em a listen;
    http://1808.bandcamp.com/

I'm gonna click on your links after I post this, 'cause that's how I roll :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Yeah... That's the thing, I look like a selfish bitch!! I get the whole you scratch mine I scratch yours thing, and generally when I go onto music sites like myspace or unsigned band web, I do listen to others music and give feedback. But sometimes that's very time consuming!!! (Seriously... Not *actually* self-serving")!!! I'm chronically ****e at promotion anyway, Once a year I go mad and leave lots of posts and do lots of promotion work and then I get all depressed , lose hope and stop!! Thanks for the link by the way, I had a listen. Very nice. I wouldn't have normally checked them out cos I'm a real pop/dance head, so when I see "Indie and Irish" I usually don't bother cos a lot of the bands I've experienced are very U2 inspired and don't do much for me. But this crowd were great very dark and kate bushish. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Lamph wrote: »
    Yeah... That's the thing, I look like a selfish bitch!! I get the whole you scratch mine I scratch yours thing, and generally when I go onto music sites like myspace or unsigned band web, I do listen to others music and give feedback. But sometimes that's very time consuming!!! (Seriously... Not *actually* self-serving")!!! I'm chronically ****e at promotion anyway, Once a year I go mad and leave lots of posts and do lots of promotion work and then I get all depressed , lose hope and stop!! Thanks for the link by the way, I had a listen. Very nice. I wouldn't have normally checked them out cos I'm a real pop/dance head, so when I see "Indie and Irish" I usually don't bother cos a lot of the bands I've experienced are very U2 inspired and don't do much for me. But this crowd were great very dark and kate bushish. Thanks for that.

I don't even mean it in a "you scratch mine I scratch yours" way, I mean, if you're an artist you should constantly be taking in as much and as varied art from around you as possible, and if you're hoping to be an active artist in a particular locality, then you should know as much as you possibly can about everyone else in that locality. If you want to be an active musician on Boards, know all the other Boards musicians! I don't yet, but I'm working on it!

And yeah, there are lots of bands who don't interest me around the place too, but then it's art, if I'm not into something, lots of other people will be, and nobody cares anyway. Artists are always gonna make their art, no matter what, having people like that art is just a bonus at the end.

Make sure to check out Peaks too ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

Lamph wrote: »
    I'm chronically ****e at promotion anyway, Once a year I go mad and leave lots of posts and do lots of promotion work and then I get all depressed , lose hope and stop!!

Exactly how I feel! I'm listening to 'Roisin Dubh' right now, nice!!

Just sent you a (myspace) friend request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

I hope this doesn't sound flirty or anything, but you have a really infectious, sweet-sounding voice. :)

I'm getting freaked out by the intro to Waking Nightmare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 theZomboid

well if you don't promote yourself then people won't believe in you! promote yourself and that means you have confidence in what you do and that goes a long way. not my cup of tea to be honest but that's just one opinion in a million. doesn't mean it's not good mind ;) so keep on pluggin you'll get what you need from it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I reckon, and could also very much be wrong, that if you wanted to promote your band on this site you have a much better chance at doing so by actively participating in the site, posting regularly and getting to know some of the posters.

Otherwise you're just another nameless face jumping up and down saying "look at my band, look at my band!" Someone gets into an interesting debate with you, they'd be more likely to click on the link to your band in your signature (*cough* such as mine below down there, see? sure give it a click...). I very very rarely look at the pimp your band section on this site, but then again i'm up to my tits in college work and don't have time to promote a band or surfing through other bands at the moment. I have listened to a lot of bands due to soundcloud (and soundcloud in conjunction with facebook). It's a pity the ability to post songs from soundcloud here doesn't work, or didn't the last time I checked.

Anyway, back to the study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Every click counts, even if it is just one click, its all worth it. I enjoy coming hear to listen to bands even they are just a nameless face hopping up and down. So what? do they have to be ''one of the gang'' just to get a listen? They are coming hear to get a critique not to make friends. Good business sense if you ask me. But then again I dont speak for everyones motives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There's been times when i've seen band sigs from regular posters and clicked on them becaue i know them from around the site or if it seems like they are a smart poster!

I think a lot of people click on sigs of smart posters.... which is why nobody ever clicks on mine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Every click counts, even if it is just one click, its all worth it. I enjoy coming hear to listen to bands even they are just a nameless face hopping up and down. So what? do they have to be ''one of the gang'' just to get a listen? They are coming hear to get a critique not to make friends. Good business sense if you ask me. But then again I dont speak for everyones motives.

If that's in reply to my post, what i said was posting just the once here asking people to critique your band is probably less effective than participating in the forum which would probably gaurantee more hits. Think of it as marketing, which is good business sense. Nothing to do with being "one of the gang".

• Advertisement

If that's in reply to my post, what i said was posting just the once here asking people to critique your band is probably less effective than participating in the forum which would probably gaurantee more hits. Think of it as marketing, which is good business sense. Nothing to do with being "one of the gang".

I see where you are coming from now. I dont see how participating in this forum at any length of time is good business sense. What makes good business sense is to come in, make your pitch, leave and get on with gigging. I think that spending countless hours lounging around a forum just to have people every now and again click on our link is not going to do anything for us and only encourages laziness rather than getting out, gigging and making some music.

Each to his own way and it depends on what you want.

Jammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I see where you are coming from now. I dont see how participating in this forum at any length of time is good business sense. What makes good business sense is to come in, make your pitch, leave and get on with gigging. I think that spending countless hours lounging around a forum just to have people every now and again click on our link is not going to do anything for us and only encourages laziness rather than getting out, gigging and making some music.

Each to his own way and it depends on what you want.

Jammy

It's a bit crazy how you can say being on the site makes no sense, yet you wonder why people don't check out your music on the site?

Do we really have to explain this to you?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's a bit crazy how you can say being on the site makes no sense, yet you wonder why people don't check out your music on the site?

Do we really have to explain this to you?

I'm not saying being on the site makes no sense, its a great site. Just from a musical advantage I think there is a 6% out of a 100 chance of getting anywhere with ones music other than to come in and have a few people critique it which is fine.

I suppose it would work out better for those who ''sell'' their music online. Even one click is better than nothing in that regard. It depends. People have their various ways of promoting their music. This one of mine too, but not for any extended period of time in which I hang out here and become engrossed in it and lose all sense of doing other things that will push the music more such as gigs etc.

If you can change my perspective on that your more than welcome to explain more in depth on why you feel I'm wrong. It is afterall a discussion forum and I'm open to all ideas I feel make a good point.

Jammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I often come here and listen to music, so that if im looking for a gig to go to some night i might recognize some of the bands playing and it makes it more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

I hope this doesn't sound flirty or anything, but you have a really infectious, sweet-sounding voice. :)

I'm getting freaked out by the intro to Waking Nightmare...

You're fine :) Don't worry about it! Thanks for the kind words by the way , I'm used to people not being into our music, so that's cool to hear, not whinging.... I don't mind. Pop generally isn't revered anyway so I wouldn't wanna be sensitive :D This is the first time I've been back, so I've only seen your msgs now. I'll have a look at your my space tomorrow.

I suppose if you look at it this way.... If you spent say an hour a day chatting here, with the point of promoting/discovering (cos..... we all like music!!) then that wouldn't be too taxing!!!! I just hate promotion so much. Liked it when I was a teenager, but it was easier then cos people thought I was cute... Doesn't work in your early 30's tho!!!

What I'm also looking for (speaking of being all conscientious and getting involved) is any good trance/dance music that might be floating around here. I'm also a DJ and would love to hear some quality Irish trance!!

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 adamokeefe

I've heard quite a few decent bands on here:

1808 are really interesting, and Overhead, The Albatross I've actually ended up playing with twice.

This was a great resouce when I used to run quite a few shows around my local area, before how time consuming it was to do so forced me to pare it down. Now, as I'm close with some people who run a local arts centre (Creative Arts Centre Maynooth), I sometimes forward these bands onto them. Of course, I promote my own thing here also, but just as much I check out what folks are up to.

Just because there's not a lot of responses doesn't mean folks aren't listening. Remember, it's all well and good having a lot of views, but it means nothing really. In my iTunes, Overhead, The Albatross, 1808, Young Bee, Brian Sewell, Idle Generator, and various others all reside, and quite a few of them get frequent listens.

I've played and arranged shows with Brian Sewell, Young Bee, Overhead, and plan to play with (my personal favourite) Idle Generator this summer.

Admittedly, I have only recently been more active in attending shows and all that but I am one more person in the crowd now, generally one who's listening.

All this is due to this site So I'd say boards.ie is pretty useful. Depends on what you're up to.

Interesting stuff by the by. The first half of 'Róisín Dubh' is more my kind of bag than some of your more pop inspired stuff, but lovely voice. Good luck.

(Edited for spelling corrections, as I need a new keyboard)

Advertisement