Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auntie Nellies Sweet Shop!

Options
  • 06-05-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭

This has just opened up in Cork City! Can't wait to go there tomorrow! They have all the sweets in big jars and they have lovely chocolate bars etc. Like the real old fashioned sweet shop! They also stock Hershey's kisses - must try some of them!

http://m.facebook.com/AuntyNellies?_rdr

Any sweet lovers here from Cork who have already gone there?:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is that the one on North Main Street? I can't wait to try it out when I have a bit of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LC_x

Just got one in my town too.
    Called 'Mr. Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe'
    Can't wait to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Faith wrote: »
    Is that the one on North Main Street? I can't wait to try it out when I have a bit of money!

Yup that's the one! Jeez between this now and the new cupcake place on Anglesea Street i'll be like an elephant in no time:D

leahyl wrote: »
    Yup that's the one! Jeez between this now and the new cupcake place on Anglesea Street i'll be like an elephant in no time:D

Cupcake place on Anglesea Street?!

Faith wrote: »
    Cupcake place on Anglesea Street?!

:D:pac: yup!! Next to lennoxs! Heading there tomorrow to pick up a batch! They are WOW!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    :D:pac: yup!! Next to lennoxs! Heading there tomorrow to pick up a batch! They are WOW!

I'm inherently jealous because I bake cupcakes myself, so I'm jealous of everyone else who does them too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

The Sweetshop stocks good stuff..nice range...

Only annoying thing is that you cant help yourself...thats half the fun of Pick n Mix...got annoying having to point out everything and saying.."No the other one" "Just the greens if possible" "Just 1 or 2 of them"...

But good addition to cork for jelly addict!!

Was just in town there and didn't actually get to the one in nrth main street but noticed that they are opening a new one on Oliver plunkett st across from penneys!! Which is a much better location! Or maybe worse if you don't want to be calling in too often:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nise

Yeah Aunties Nellies the IRISH owned and Locally supplied sweet shop on the North Main St. it's unreal!! The new one Mr.Sims on Oliver Plunkett st. is an English Franchise so we need to support our own and go to AUNTIE NELLIES for our fantastic sweet selection!!

nise wrote: »
    Yeah Aunties Nellies the IRISH owned and Locally supplied sweet shop on the North Main St. it's unreal!! The new one Mr.Sims on Oliver Plunkett st. is an English Franchise so we need to support our own and go to AUNTIE NELLIES for our fantastic sweet selection!!

While I appreciate your point, you very clearly work for this company. Don't post about them again, or you'll be banned.

• Advertisement

No I 110% DO NOT WORK for them or even the same industry...I read the papers, and saw the article on the Cork Independent about this shop and went to see it, its fab, then I saw the article in the Examiner about the other big franchise which opened 2 weeks later. I've always supported local business such as local markets and am glad places like Shandon sweets are still getting good business as its a bit of Cork History! I am allowed to SUPPORT local! AM I NOT?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

Thats very unfair Nise. Both sweet shops are run by Irish people and both are employing Irish people. I think we should be encouraging new businesses to open and supporting them every step of the way. You shouldn't try to discourage people from shopping there. There are various English/American/Eurpoean franchises all over the country being run by hard working Irish people who are just trying to make a living.

Point taken, we were just talking about it in our office last week about how large franchises are taking over local small business's when we read the article in the paper, but if it's irish owned then best of luck to both shops....I'm sure they'll both do very well with obesity and larger waist lines growing and growing in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The one on Oliver Plunkett St. does salt licorice!!!!
    Finally salt licorice in Ireland!!

I, too, would rather support a locally owned business rather than a overseas owned franchise. Not that I want the franchise to fail but if there is room for only one, then I'd prefer the local one to survive.

Now, must get Auntie Nellie's to stock the salt licorice.

I also hate the use of 'olde' and 'shoppe' in the name of the Oliver Plunkett St one.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭leheaven

There is an Auntie Nellies opening in Midleton soon! Can't wait until it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

They stock Reeses' Pieces :) yay

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unfortunately, still no salt licorice in Aunty Nellie's.
    I only asked this week.

Sweet shops really seem to be the new thing.
    Cafe Depeche on Mc Curtain St, Cork have opened up half the cafe as a sweet shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I reckon its a conspiracy by all the dentists who've lost so much business in the last few years to get us back in the dentist chairs again ;)
    Cafe Depeche on Mc Curtain St, Cork have opened up half the cafe as a sweet shop too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I cant wait ti go to aunty nellies, Im never goin in on a weekend though, I cant stand packed places

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

I think chocolate and candy sales rise in times of recession because it's a cheap way to raise your mood rather than buying clothes,cds etc
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/business/Candy-Sales-Sweeten-Recession-Woes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Nellies opened in Carrigaline too (beside Rosie's) - great selection (huge!) but very expensive - and I was a bit annoyed by the rather pushy sales assistant who kept trying to put more in the bag than I wanted. Also you can't pick your own - you have to ask for everything.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Nellies opened in Carrigaline too (beside Rosie's) - great selection (huge!) but very expensive - and I was a bit annoyed by the rather pushy sales assistant who kept trying to put more in the bag than I wanted. Also you can't pick your own - you have to ask for everything.

Yes that's the one downside about the place - you can't actually see what the sweets are cos they are behind the till so you have to come right up to the counter so you can see and also it's not like pick n mix like you said, they pick out the sweets for you - bit annoying. I'd prefer to be able to do it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

nise wrote: »
    Point taken, we were just talking about it in our office last week about how large franchises are taking over local small business's when we read the article in the paper, but if it's irish owned then best of luck to both shops....I'm sure they'll both do very well with obesity and larger waist lines growing and growing in this country!

wow your just full of positivity.
    i suppose we better shut down every fast food and sweet shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ecoco85

Went for an interview with auntie nellies the other day. The manager asked me was I married, which I replied no, and he then proceeded to make the following statement

" oh that's good because marriage brings children and that leads to trouble"

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not a completely illegal statement to make in an interview? I know they are promoting and making money from the whole "old school" era but this sexist 1940's statement is taking it a BIT far I reckon!

Ecoco85, this forum is for the discussion of Snacks and Sweets, not employment issues.

Thread closed because it's 2 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement