Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurpoa League Final Thread - Braga -v- Porto 18th May Aviva Stadium

Options
  • 06-05-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Let's see how this goes, the Final of the Europa League is taking place in Dublin on May 18th, for those who don't know much about football, it's Europe's "second" competition.

Two teams from Portugal are in this year's final

Here's a story from UEFA about the match.

Can we keep all discussion about the event to this thread please

If you wish to discuss the actual football, go to the Soccer Forum, but for anything else related to the event itself, you can talk about it here.

We'll see how it goes anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well you could start by getting the date right. It's on Wednesday 18th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

oooops, fixed :o

Des wrote: »
    oooops, fixed :o

It's still wrong in the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will there be any aggro??

> any tickets left?

fryup wrote: »
    will there be any aggro??
    Doubt it
    fryup wrote: »
    > any tickets left?

Maybe around town on the day of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Probably not the best draw in terms of getting the tourist moolah in the tills.

Do you reckon many will be making the trip up from Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Portgal people will be broke ... I can't see many travel. there country is as ****ed as ours. There will be loads of tickets available on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I doubt any of the touted tickets on the day will be cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So what exactly is this thread about?

I mean are they building a new city to hold the spectators or what?

If the match hasnt started how can you discuss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

stovelid wrote: »
    I doubt any of the touted tickets on the day will be cheap.

Well this is Dublin so I'd totally expect to pay an absolute ridiculous price for a seat with a crap view.
    Btw it's a pity Benfica didn't get into the final because of their fierce rivalry with Porto would have made this a better show-piece IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

i have a ticket and need one more? anyone out there help a brother out? thanks lads.

great thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Luck of the Irish alright!

Brutal draw for the final. Nobody will give a ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Long story short there will be loads of tickets floating around (there already are) for sale at face value which ranges from €50-€170 roughly.

Braga can't fill their home games so are unlikely to take their 12,000 distribution. I've heard (massively unofficially of course!) they are likely to return at least half. I've no idea how they get re-distributed but I'd imagine some would go for sale in Ireland????

As for the event as a whole its great to have a major final here but it's nothing like the cash cow we were promised. The ridiculous amounts of money that the city would earn, according to politicians and media stooges, through tourist/fan cash isn't going to materialise (I remember €500 million being quoted at one stage). 30,000 portugese on day trip isn't going to pump an extra €100-200-300 million into the economy.

There's part of me that thinks that powers that be assumed Liverpool, Celtic, Man City or whoever, would get into the final and we'd have the Irish-English/Scottish football fans from here going to the game and making an event out of it. And with the added actual English/Scottish fans coming to it they'd make a killing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Got 2 tickets yesterday @ 80 each on Ticketmaster. They go on general sale again tomorrow @ 9.00 if anyone is interested. Vary from 50-170. Great having a European final in Ireland and should be a great night. Porto are one of the best teams in Europe this year and play great stuff. People should get along to it as its very rare to have a European Final in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was in the city last week and got interviewed by a foreign news crew about this game,I am 90% certain it was aljazeera.Out of the 5 min interview I would say they could use 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 parkhead

Anyone know if any fan zones will be open round the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

parkhead wrote: »
    Anyone know if any fan zones will be open round the city?

Given the teams involved I'd highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

DWCommuter wrote: »

Luck of the Irish???

Braga and Porto fans will give a ****e, shouldn't really matter who else does tbh.

Can't see this selling out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Come on Braga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

DWCommuter wrote: »

Yeah. Couldn't you imagine how different things would have been if Liverpool had made the Final. I'm not a Liverpool fan but it's a pity for all concerned as it's not exactly an attractive draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Personally, I dont care that there are no English teams in the Final. We get to see enough of them on a daily basis. It is typical that people would sell-out the Aviva for a meaningless friendly between a Man Utd reserve team and a LOI X1 before going to see a top European final. A lot of Irish people are more interested in brands rather than the actual sport. Still I predict that the Aviva will be more or less sold out for this as there are a lot of people who recognise the importance of the event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Delighted that the Brits didnt qualify, picked up a ticket for 40 quid off a "Liverpool fan" who has never been to the city of Liverpool in my local.

Looking forward to it now, would have preferred if Benfica had got into the final though.

Theres the "Dublin Super Cup" coming up for people looking to have their once yearly live football fix. Inter, Manchester City and Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Anyone gone to see the trophy yet?I assume you're not allowed to pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone know if its sold out? Wondering how the atmosphere will be, not great I'd say with so many neutral fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I went to the CL final between Porto and Monaco in Germany some years ago.

Found the Porto fans very subdued and even after lifting the cup they didn't really go out and party.

Monaco fans were great fun and partied into the early hours.

Again, that's just my opinion, I may have just been in the wrong places etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone know if its sold out? Wondering how the atmosphere will be, not great I'd say with so many neutral fans.

It's not sold out. I'd say the atmosphere depends on how many of the Super Dragoes travel over (Portos main Ultra group), they bring some great noise and club to their matches but how many will be able to afford to travel to Dublin is a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Braga returned about half their tickets, some of which are now on sale here. Porto have taken their full allocation (12.000 I think) so they should make a racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grantiemcfc

hey everyone i have 2 cat 1 tickets for sale at face value if anyone is interested
    Half way line and about 20 rows back

• Advertisement

hey everyone i have 2 cat 1 tickets for sale at face value if anyone is interested
    Half way line and about 20 rows back

Go here please

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=896

No more tickets to be offered for sale on this thread

Advertisement