Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurpoa League Final Thread - Braga -v- Porto 18th May Aviva Stadium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I am going, looking forward to it to be honest. As a Pool fan a little disappointed but so what!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is the trophy still on display?

Might pop down for a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

pithater1 wrote: »
    Is the trophy still on display?

Might pop down for a gander.

Today is the last day it's on display IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Today is the last day it's on display IIRC

Good stuff, it's on display in Dublin Castle isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

pithater1 wrote: »
    Good stuff, it's on display in Dublin Castle isn't it?
    I thought it was the Dublin Library in the Ilac Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

The trophy will be in the main Ilac Shopping Centre tomorrow - Saturday.
    You can't hold it or anything though its in a glass cabinet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its on in the Aviva Stadium? Bah don't you mean the "Dublin Arena"?! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

I am looking forward to watching the match, but I don't see how this event is going to be a huge boost to the economy. The Portuguese don't strike me as big spenders. I wouldn't be surprised if some pubs forget to put the match on if no one asks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I am looking forward to watching the match, but I don't see how this event is going to be a huge boost to the economy. The Portuguese don't strike me as big spenders. I wouldn't be surprised if some pubs forget to put the match on if no one asks for it.

Well Portuguese wouldn't be big spenders as they earn less than hour the Irish wage and will have to pay for our inflated prices over here after forking out a crazy sum of money on tickets and flights.

You're probably right about the pubs showing it, if it was some British team in it though it would be front page news in the papers in the days leading up and the days following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Its on in the Aviva Stadium? Bah don't you mean the "Dublin Arena"?! :p

Nope, Lansdowne Road. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just checked the Aer Lingus site to see how much the Portuguese might be paying. Return flights were €670! We really know how to stiff them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Just checked the Aer Lingus site to see how much the Portuguese might be paying. Return flights were €670! We really know how to stiff them.

thats the usual ****e with airlines.

I colud of got tickets to see chelsea play in the champions league semi in barcelona at cost price a few years back.Cheapest direct flight i could get was 800 odd euro.the dearest was with lufhansa at 1500 and that involved a 4 hour wait in frankfurt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    thats the usual ****e with airlines.

I colud of got tickets to see chelsea play in the champions league semi in barcelona at cost price a few years back.Cheapest direct flight i could get was 800 odd euro.the dearest was with lufhansa at 1500 and that involved a 4 hour wait in frankfurt!!

Train might have been an idea. Or a ferry and a train.

Anyways going to this. Got tickets up in the crow's nest for €50. Anyone painting themselves green in honour of Hulk coming to town?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nope, Lansdowne Road. :cool:
    I believe it's been renamed the Dublin Bedpan for the event. ;)

7,000 tickets have been sent back by Brega, and chances are high that tickets will be available on the day of the game. Porto have taken their full allocation, so they should create a great atmosphere in the ground, especially as they're coming with a "sound group".Overrall, it should be a great event for the city, and the idea of having fan centres in the point village and rds were a neat touch.

I just hope that none of the Irish fans attending the ground attempt to make statements about the Queen's visit. I think it would overshadow what should be a positive show for Ireland in Europe, especially considering our somewhat tarnished reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Redlion wrote: »
    I believe it's been renamed the Dublin Bedpan for the event. ;)

7,000 tickets have been sent back by Brega, and chances are high that tickets will be available on the day of the game. Porto have taken their full allocation, so they should create a great atmosphere in the ground, especially as they're coming with a "sound group".Overrall, it should be a great event for the city, and the idea of having fan centres in the point village and rds were a neat touch.

I just hope that none of the Irish fans attending the ground attempt to make statements about the Queen's visit. I think it would overshadow what should be a positive show for Ireland in Europe, especially considering our somewhat tarnished reputation.

OMG, bend over why dont ya

Anyways, looking forward to the match, lot of Irish be at it so the pubs wont be down that much cash. Anyone know, are the bars open for this at the Aviva? Porto ftw too, Falcao 1st scorer at 9-2

Warper wrote: »
    OMG, bend over why dont ya

Anyways, looking forward to the match, lot of Irish be at it so the pubs wont be down that much cash. Anyone know, are the bars open for this at the Aviva? Porto ftw too, Falcao 1st scorer at 9-2
    After that comment, I feel like I should be the one to break it to you. THE PUBS ARE CLOSED IN THE AVIVA. :pac:

Porto have taken their full allocation, so they should create a great atmosphere in the ground, especially as they're coming with a "sound group".

Ye no doubt the Super Dragoes of Porto will be over, decent Ultra group who always bring colour and noise with them.

On your second point, I'd say they might be a good few Man Utd, Liverpool and Celtic jerseys at it to welcome here!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I just hope that none of the Irish fans attending the ground attempt to make statements about the Queen's visit.

whats the word on the street? are the shinners going to stir things up? (ala love ulster parade)

i'm taking my 8yr old nephew to this and i wanna be sure they'll be no aggro

fryup wrote: »
    whats the word on the street? are the shinners going to stir things up? (ala love ulster parade)

i'm taking my 8yr old nephew to this and i wanna be sure they'll be no aggro

From working there, I meant it as people unfurling offensive banners, shouting abuse and attempting to get on the pitch, not really people getting aggressive with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

After that comment, I feel like I should be the one to break it to you. THE PUBS ARE CLOSED IN THE AVIVA. :pac:
    Seriously?

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Any football game played in the Aviva under UEFA will not allow drink to be served in the main public areas of the ground.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE STORY WITH NO BEING ABLE TO DRINK AT THE MATCH.

Sorry about that but I am outraged.

I am 32 and am heading up from Waterford, taking two days of work, to have a session and maybe remember the match. I am not told I can't even have a drink!

What a sh**hole country we live in....

(naggin of vodka and coke refills called for so) - suppose you cant get coke in their either, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do you reckon many will be making the trip up from Portugal?

According to here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263564 there are 100 charters (aprx 25000 people) landing in Dublin Airport on Wednesday and mostly all gone home by sunrise Thursday :eek:

No drink in the Dublin Arena ?:eek::eek::eek:

Will they have food there even?

mozattack wrote: »

Sorry about that but I am outraged.

I am 32 and am heading up from Waterford, taking two days of work, to have a session and maybe remember the match. I am not told I can't even have a drink!

What a sh**hole country we live in....

(naggin of vodka and coke refills called for so) - suppose you cant get coke in their either, no?

It's UEFA that do this not Ireland!:confused: Can you not go 90 mins without alcohol?

You obviously don't go to very many football matches no? You can't buy drink in the RSC when Waterford Utd play, get all moody over that ye? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Alkers

vicwatson wrote: »

No drink in the Dublin Arena ?:eek::eek::eek:

Will they have food there even?

As mentioned it's UEFA's rule, nothing to do with Ireland. Drink is served at all the rugby matches and concerts. Its only available on the premium level for any UEFA games, don't ask me why its allowed there and nowhere else though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mozattack wrote: »
    Are you new? You cannot drink at any UEFA competition game, either European club or International

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I understand why they cant call it the Aviva (due to sponsorship/corporate reasons), but why are they calling it the Dublin Arena. Whats wrong with its proper name, Lansdowne Road.

I'd say if people asked for directions, the Dublin Arena would get a blank stare from many or they would maybe get directed to the Point.

At least most have heard of the Aviva/Lansdowne Road.

It's UEFA that do this not Ireland!:confused: Can you not go 90 mins without alcohol?

You obviously don't go to very many football matches no? You can't buy drink in the RSC when Waterford Utd play, get all moody over that ye? :rolleyes:

Why does how many football matches I go to have anything to do with giving out about this - for your information any game I went to before in Dublin was a commute so drink wasn't on the agenda and I dont bother drinking for games in Liverpool cos I've had enough drink over the weekend there.

RSC is a dump, wouldn't go there to see the Champions League Final!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are you new? You cannot drink at any UEFA competition game, either European club or International

New to what? I was born a long time ago so hardly new.

No wonder no one goes to the Irish games given that you cannot drink... nothing to take away the pain so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

CiaranC wrote: »

Nonscense. All the beer you wanted at Irelands UEFA qualifier in Slovakia last year.
    And there was beer at this final in 2001.

Advertisement