Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed use red biros in exams?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

i think there has to be some common sense in this...i use red biro for titles in essays and for number of bullet points...hardly going to put out the corrector too much. Writing your whole exam in red biro would just silly..common sense will tell you that its the correcting colour, plus a whole essay in red biro would be extreme irritating to read.

ive an exam friday and ill find out whats the story with it if no-one has anything before that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure why this is even an issue at third level in this country.
    Red or green biro should not be used in the Junior or Leaving Cert. exams as they are the colours the Assistant examiners and Supervising examiners use.

Would love to know what schools told people otherwise.

Don't see why it'd be an issue either way; couldn't an examiner just correct in black/blue to achieve the same effect?

That's just a theoretical p.o.v. btw, I wouldn't advocate people writing a whole exam paper in red or green but using red or green for highlighting, numbering or emphasis is perfectly ok imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 optimised

I've also been using red pen..hmmm I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

sceptre wrote: »
    Someone must have an exam left and can check. Isn't it written in the directions on the front of the exam answer book? Something to do with using black or blue pen?

Aside, on the "moderators having a go" (I'm not in the habit of "having a go" btw, I tend to just tell people to knock it off) thing, an on-thread warning is pretty much the most relaxed form of "stop acting the plonker and learn politeness" warning I can give, well under a yellow card, red card, profile infraction, temp ban, perm ban or site ban. Politeness is cheap. Card might have been easier tbh. The procedure for objecting to any of these is to send the moderator(s) in question a PM rather than objecting on-thread and throwing it off-topic. That's what's done on the entire site, including this small part of it.
    When the invigulator said it, the first thing i did was check the directions on the exam, there was no mention of it, I then questioned the invigulator about it, I had thought she meant that we couldn't fill in our name and I.D number on the front of our answer book in red. She said that we couldn't use red biro anywhere on the answer book.

Anyway, I have an exam tomorrow so i will see if we can use red biro. Put the issue to bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Ok so i sat an exam earlier and we were allowed use red biro:rolleyes: Don't know what the story was with not been able to use them in my other exams. They were both chemistry exams so maybe that had something to do with it, I just don't know, doesn't make any sense to be honest :rolleyes: Hope I have given some bit of a conclusion to what I started :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ok so i sat an exam earlier and we were allowed use red biro:rolleyes: Don't know what the story was with not been able to use them in my other exams. They were both chemistry exams so maybe that had something to do with it, I just don't know, doesn't make any sense to be honest :rolleyes: Hope I have given some bit of a conclusion to what I started :D

Well, the CES Department aren't exactly..... *stops before a huge rant ensues*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

i'd maths tuesday and another written exam today and not once did someone mention not to use a red biro nor was it written anywhere.
    its been beaten into us since secondary school to use red for labeling the question or a title. it makes stuff look more clear. actually thinking back in primary school in 5th and 6th class we had to write ANS=70707 in maths in red biro.

Advertisement