Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanard of security in Limerick station V Heustion

• 06-05-2011 7:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0506/1224296281386.html

I have said this many times,the security standard in Limerick station is so bad.They seem to hire the weakest and most unfit guards ever,they just stroll around txting on their phones..Often they are African/Aisan guards doing security up there with very poor english
    Even the Irish ones the odd time they are on dont seem to be alert

The company that do Heuston station STT there guards seem to be well able for the job
    Big tough lads,kitted out with proper uniforms&protection,stab vests
    Mainly Eastern European lads but very polite,good english and take no crap up there at all and are ultra alert

Ive have had expericences of waiting many times in both stations,and Heuston security staff win hands down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ah..But you see thats up in Dublin .With all sorts of undesireables hanging around the station up to no good! We really dont have that problem down here in limerick ,as even our undeisreables DONT want to hang around our railway station as it is a total kip!!!:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

In Colbert station there is no need for the uber tight security.
    I've never seen anything crazy happen up there anyway to warrant having a major security presence.

The article you have posted, I think it reflects more on the scumbag that did it rather than the security guards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Ha didn't even know they had security in there! instead of more security they could just clean the toilets hate going in there it's so disgusting!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Toilets in Colbert are the worst I've seen in any station in Ireland and I've been to plenty. A disgrace.

Yes STT are good but I've never seen any issues in Colbert. Doubt there is a need for them

I'm with sophie22, more cleaners before more security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Please, Limerick Station is the size of my shed, why'd you want security?

But, yeah, clean the shaggin' Jacks ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We should all be thankful we dont have the problems associated with bus and train stations in the US!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

hatz7 wrote: »
    In Colbert station there is no need for the uber tight security.
    I've never seen anything crazy happen up there anyway to warrant having a major security presence.
    there is definitely a need for it. I've worked in the area before and there does indeed be quite a few whinos/scumbags/coke-heads hanging around the station. More than you would think. A friend of mine does security there and he says he catches guys shooting up in the toilets there most days. Other times they get locked into the toilet and pass out. That's not a sight i would particularly like to see if i was passing through the station. You also get the odd scumbag snatching people's luggage and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

grenache wrote: »
    there is definitely a need for it. I've worked in the area before and there does indeed be quite a few whinos/scumbags/coke-heads hanging around the station. More than you would think. A friend of mine does security there and he says he catches guys shooting up in the toilets there most days. Other times they get locked into the toilet and pass out. That's not a sight i would particularly like to see if i was passing through the station. You also get the odd scumbag snatching people's luggage and stuff.

I agree with this (and with the point re the toilets but the ones in Pearse street in DUblin are nearly as bad!) I have had a couple of could-have-been-dodgy encounters with people before in the train station as I travel semi-regularly. Thankfully there were other passengers around at the time but if that station was quieter it could have turned a bit dodge, like a junkie started hassling me to buy her a ticket once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Please, Limerick Station is the size of my shed, why'd you want security?But, yeah, clean the shaggin' Jacks ffs.

Maybe to prevent things like the woman being kidnapped and robbed at knifepoint as happened maybe?

I bet that woman wishes there was a security element that deterred the scumbag from hanging around the station waiting for a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I've never really had any problems in Colbert station over the many years I have been using it regularly. I agree with the comments about the state of the toilets though. They are in very poor condition. It would be worth implementing a turnstile system where you pay 20 cent to get in. This will have the double effect of paying for the upkeep as well as keeping any scum out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is grand until you are the one with a junkie in your face demanding money so he can shoot up. It happened to me and I dread going anywhere near the place ever since. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is grand until you are the one with a junkie in your face demanding money so he can shoot up. It happened to me and I dread going anywhere near the place ever since. :mad:

I've had the same happen me at the station too. Scummer looking for a ciggarette. Although the security dude spotted it happening, came over, grabbed the gent by the scruff of the neck and dragged him down the steps. I gave the guard a ciggy instead. :pac:

Doesn't put me off going there though. In fairness, that carry-on can happen anywhere in Limerick really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Toilets in Colbert are the worst I've seen in any station in Ireland and I've been to plenty. A disgrace.

Ennis is as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

I actually had a very dodgy incident on the last train from Heuston to Limerick recently. Thankfully nothing 'really' happened (as in no physical harm, but we were threatened), but the guys in Colbert said that they have incidents all the time on the last train from Dublin.

The issue for us was that there was no security on the train from Limerick Junction to Limerick. I've felt safer on the Dart in Dublin, but they have security on from about 9pm.

We got off in Colbert Station and had a group of scumbags hanging around outside the station waiting for us for over half an hour. The lads in the station let us hang around til they were gone, but there is DEFINITELY a need for security imo. It shouldn't be up to the regular staff to deal with that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Janneke wrote: »
    there was no security on the train from Limerick Junction to Limerick.

There never has been on any Limerick - Dublin train I've ever gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Was down in Cork yesterday. The station there is so much nicer than Limerick. Didn't notice any scumbags hanging around either (I'm sure it happens though).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Colbert Station has been due an update for years. I remember the excitement on this place when the Limerick Post published mock-ups of the architects' plans a while back. I reckon it'll be a long time before anything is done there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ladies and Gents if you have a problem on any train or in any station you really need to send an email to Irish Rail Customer Care as this is the only way that trouble is hi lighted and acted on. Also if the security in Limerick station was stepped up and drug abusers were stopped entering the station the toilets would be kept alot cleaner But again this will no happen until people start and keep emailing Customer Care even for the little things because what could be a regular minor problem could turn into a major problem over night

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I use the station (bus side) on a weekly basis.....there are too many dody chaps hanging about imho.....

I think security should be stepped up and that the local lads should be phased out or replaced with guys who do inspire genuine fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

constantg wrote: »
    I use the station (bus side) on a weekly basis.....there are too many dody chaps hanging about imho.....

I think security should be stepped up and that the local lads should be phased out or replaced with guys who do inspire genuine fear.
    Send an email to Customer Care and hopefully they do something soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Bordering on Zombie Thread so im going to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement