Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Legend vs Orange San Fran

Options
  • 06-05-2011 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Right so can get preowned phones of both for about the same price, but which is the better one to choose? The specs seem pretty alike on both. I like the sound of the aluminium on the legend but the OSF is meant to have a great screen. Note im completely new to android, have used iphones many times before though.

Which is better for me? ALso what should I look out for/test when checking out a preowned HTC legend? Anything that I should do to make sure its good and working ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Assuming they're both in perfect working order, there's no contest here. Grab the Legend without a second thought.

The San Fran is a low end budget android. It gets great reviews and plenty on here recommend it but they do so as a cheap alternative to some of the mid-range droids like HTC Wildfire or Samsung Apollo. Is it a resistive screen on the San Fran?

The Legend was top-end when launched, the only handset to surpass it at the time was the Desire - and that's still one of the best droids available. If it had the 1ghz processor I would have got one instead of my Desire, it's a much nicer looking phone (although it appears to be a job and a half to root, if that's what you're into).

My advice on what to look for as possible faults - check the black plastic "heel" of the phone. This is the battery cover and also contains the phone's aerial. There should be 2 small metal pieces in the back of this that slot into the handset when clipping it on. Once this clips on snuggly and securely and the phone is showing a strong signal, you should be good.

Edit - also there should be a small plastic hinge thingy that holds the battery in place - i've seen 1 or 2 of these broken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

theteal wrote: »
    Assuming they're both in perfect working order, there's no contest here. Grab the Legend without a second thought.

The San Fran is a low end budget android. It gets great reviews and plenty on here recommend it but they do so as a cheap alternative to some of the mid-range droids like HTC Wildfire or Samsung Apollo. Is it a resistive screen on the San Fran?

The San Francisco is at least equal to the HTC Legend or if not better IMO.
    The SF has far better screen resolution and its bigger. Its also capacitive not resistive.
    SF screen is 3.5" 800x480, Legend is 3.2" 480x320.
    SF has same CPU and RAM as the Legend.
    The Legend has better camera at 5MP versus 3.2MP in Orange SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Personally I would go with the Legend. IMHO it is one of the best looking android handsets. End of. I really, really wanted this handset, but it was unavailable on my network. Got the Desire instead, which is butt ugly, IMHO.

If you have never had a droid before then the Legend is probably a better choice, as you can run with it from the get go. While the SF is a good handset, it is full of Orange bloatware, a custom ROM is a necessity. Maybe not something you want to have to deal with immediately.

The fandroids here sometimes forget that some of us like to open the box and have a decent phone from the get-go. I would say custom ROMs are nice to be able to do, but HTC Sense is one of the best out there anyway, IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

ongarite wrote: »
    The San Francisco is at least equal to the HTC Legend or if not better IMO.
    The SF has far better screen resolution and its bigger. Its also capacitive not resistive.
    SF screen is 3.5" 800x480, Legend is 3.2" 480x320.
    SF has same CPU and RAM as the Legend.
    The Legend has better camera at 5MP versus 3.2MP in Orange SF.
    Well the orange I could be getting is the TFT screen model, but the HTC legend is capacitive also isn't it?

Advertisement