Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC build - general tasks and light gaming

Options
  • 06-05-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Hey

My 10 year old desktop has finally given up on me and it's time to build a new PC for light gaming and general day to day stuff.. it's mainly going to be for general work but will be used for gaming from time to time.. being able to play crysis at max resoultion isn't a priority - i'll be happy if i can just play crysis.. I'm not mad into max resoultion gaming but want the build to be able to cope with games 5-10 years from now even if I only play them at low settings

I'm looking at something like 4gb ram, 1gb graphics memory (i'll live with 512mb but I just want to future proof it), an intel i5 (once again I'd look at AMD if there's something compartable for the same price but I just trust intel and have always used them so I'd just like to stay with them) and 1tb storage.

after that I don't know anything about motherboards, psus or optical drives...

I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS sorted so any help in choosing

I have 400-500 to spend but if you can do it for less all the better

this is my first build but I've been thinking of doing it myself for a long time but I'm afraid if I try to choose parts myself I'll go over budget and end up going overkill altogether...

thanks guys :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72038305&postcount=1037

Pick whichever one you want, the €400/€500/€600. The €500 one will pretty much run everything you want, but if you can afford to splash out the extra €100 for the i5 its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I've come up with something like this

any opinions on it and is there something obvious that I'm missing or will any parts be incompatible

7F5F126D2F274D15BE3983B1FA40E054-0000335471-0002307659-00800L-5F5A7229E5A64FAAA405FA33746D68B2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I've come up with something like this

any opinions on it and is there something obvious that I'm missing or will any parts be incompatible

7F5F126D2F274D15BE3983B1FA40E054-0000335471-0002307659-00800L-5F5A7229E5A64FAAA405FA33746D68B2.jpg

You've chosen a cheapie PSU

Would suggest not risking it and spending a little more on the super flower 80+

The quad core AMD 955 is a bit better
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=143

Nice price on that 460 GTX though

does anyone have any opinions on whether I should dig into the pockets a little deeper and cash out for an i5 instead of the i3

I'll change the PSU as well - don't know much about them but I'll take johny7's advice and switch to the super flower 80+

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

does anyone have any opinions on whether I should dig into the pockets a little deeper and cash out for an i5 instead of the i3

I'll change the PSU as well - don't know much about them but I'll take johny7's advice and switch to the super flower 80+

As one of your stated goals was for this to be playing games years from now, then a quad core really is a must. There are already a number of games that dual cores struggle with, and this is only going to increase in the coming years.

The SF PSU is a great choice as well.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    As one of your stated goals was for this to be playing games years from now, then a quad core really is a must. There are already a number of games that dual cores struggle with, and this is only going to increase in the coming years.

The SF PSU is a great choice as well.

Intel Core i5-750 for 170 euro ?? would this be a good option or have ye any other suggestions within the 160-170 euro price range...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Intel Core i5-750 for 170 euro ?? would this be a good option or have ye any other suggestions within the 160-170 euro price range...

The i5-750 is not very tempting for 170 bucks. Although a better performer and a good overclocker the price / performance against the 955 BE does not justify an extra 70 odd euro IMO.

If sticking in the 100 euro price range then it is the AMD 955 over the i3 all the way. If going into the 160-170 price range then it you should be looking at the i5-2500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 2500K is €171 on hardwareversand.

marco_polo wrote: »
    The i5-750 is not very tempting for 170 bucks. Although a better performer and a good overclocker the price / performance against the 955 BE does not justify an extra 70 odd euro IMO.

If sticking in the 100 euro price range then it is the AMD 955 over the i3 all the way. If going into the 160-170 price range then it you should be looking at the i5-2500k.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 170 price range... having a look at the 2500K now and will probably go for it...

just a quick question about hadwareversand - how long will I be wating for the parts to come

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 170 price range... having a look at the 2500K now and will probably go for it...

just a quick question about hadwareversand - how long will I be wating for the parts to come

All going well about a week or so by all account (Once everything you order is on a green stock level )

• Advertisement

7954691C68F24D25BC756B46E5399671-0000335471-0002308603-00800L-DCB06E0DA5454C9896136575E6223AFA.png

ok refined the build here - deciding to go with the AMD x4 955 - I know it's not as good as the 2500k but this build stays in budget so I'm gonna stick with it... any thought on it before I make the dive and go for it...

just another though - is 450w enough for psu - I haven't a clue at all so... and if I don't intend to overclock I shouldn't need any extra fans no?? just don't want to build it all up and it either not switch on or worse again melt after a few hours

cheers for all the help and advice guys

ok refined the build here - deciding to go with the AMD x4 955 - I know it's not as good as the 2500k but this build stays in budget so I'm gonna stick with it... any thought on it before I make the dive and go for it...

just another though - is 450w enough for psu - I haven't a clue at all so... and if I don't intend to overclock I shouldn't need any extra fans no?? just don't want to build it all up and it either not switch on or worse again melt after a few hours

cheers for all the help and advice guys

All looks good to me, 450W is plenty of juice for that build. Shouldn't need any extra caser fans or anything like that , and if you happen to find the stock CPU cooler a little loud you can always get a third party one at a later date (I have a 965BE and did find the stock cooler a little noisey under load, but then perception of noise levels are always highly subjective ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Looks good man, one thing though, beige DVD drive ? :o:p

Seriously though, that'll be a fine build :)

ok question here - how do i actually pay for this :confused:

I chose the cash on prepayment option and then clicked order - nothing seems to have happened... do I get an email from them or a letter or what??? I'm under the understanding that I have to use a bank transfer to pay for it... Just wondering where do I get the details or whatever that I have to pay for...

EDIT - just got email there - do I just print that out and go into the bank and ask them to sort it out for me basically..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

ok question here - how do i actually pay for this :confused:

I chose the cash on prepayment option and then clicked order - nothing seems to have happened... do I get an email from them or a letter or what??? I'm under the understanding that I have to use a bank transfer to pay for it... Just wondering where do I get the details or whatever that I have to pay for...

EDIT - just got email there - do I just print that out and go into the bank and ask them to sort it out for me basically..

You can do it online if you have internet banking too.

Advertisement