Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox720!

• 06-05-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

Apparently EA already have the dev kits!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/06/rumor-new-microsoft-console-dev-kits-at-ea/
    According to an unnamed source speaking to Develop, development kits for a new Microsoft console are in the offices of one of EA's studios. The source, which does not work for either EA or Microsoft, had no specific information about the hardware except that it came in a PC shell and was shipped to EA last month.

That little information is actually enough to rule out the updated Xbox 360 dev kits revealed last month, since those come in Xbox-shaped cases. The source believes ("but did not have certain information," Develop disclaims) the new console will launch at the end of 2012, which would put it in direct competition with the Wii successor, and, if true, would make an E3 reveal seem likely (again, to compete with the new Nintendo console).

However, a Eurogamer source responded to this Develop article to note that a new Microsoft console probably won't be revealed at E3.

Personally i would have preferred another year or two of current gen tbh! Ah well!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

We wont be seeing a new xbox or playstation for another 2 or 3 years.
    The lifespan of the consoles has been put to 2014-2015 area by the manufacturers.
    Theres going to be a new well overdue nintendo console alright but thats about it for now
    Its going to be comparable to the ps3 and 360 hardware wise so no reason for microsoft or sony to update their consoles.
    These stories come along every so often and have no weight behind them at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The lifespan of the consoles has been put to 2014-2015 area by the manufacturers.
    Theres going to be a new well overdue nintendo console alright but thats about it for now
    Its going to be comparable to the ps3 and 360 hardware wise so no reason for microsoft or sony to update their consoles.

Well this rumour is been taking pretty seriously by many major gaming websites and neogaf, i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lifespan of the current machines doesn't preclude a successor coming out. How long was the ps2 on sale after the ps3 debuted?

I'd put more weight on this article http://www.xbox-experts.co.uk/news/no-xbox-720-and-ps4-in-the-next-3-years/
    It makes more business sense no point releasing new hardware for the sake of it when the current hardware is very profitable and there is still room to max out the hardware.

Lifespan of the current machines doesn't preclude a successor coming out. How long was the ps2 on sale after the ps3 debuted?
    Thats different the ps2 had a absolutely massive install base
    The 360 or the ps3 have nothing like it

• Advertisement

Thats different the ps2 had a absolutely massive install base
    The 360 or the ps3 have nothing like it

58 million 360s sold is a fantastic number. They could continue to sell kinect 360s to the "casual" market while having a new machine to attract the so called hardcore gamer.

58 million 360s sold is a fantastic number. They could continue to sell kinect 360s to the "casual" market while having a new machine to attract the so called hardcore gamer.
    Compared to the 150 million ps2 consoles sold :rolleyes:.
    To be honest im happy enough with my 360 atm and would be dissapointed if a new xbox was made (only bought it last year).
    Dosent make business sense to release a new console atm anyway for m$ or sony

To be honest im happy enough with my 360 atm and would be dissapointed if a new xbox was made (only bought it last year).

Thinking that the 360 or PS3 could get anywhere near 150million is absurd. The saturation point this gen is ALOT lower than that, i'd guesstimate 70-80mil.

Thinking that the 360 or PS3 could get anywhere near 150million is absurd. The saturation point this gen is ALOT lower than that, i'd guesstimate 70-80mil.
    I never said they would go anywhere near that read my post.
    The other poster brang up the ps2 and I pointed out why the ps2 was different

What's with the roll eyes. Are you suggesting that 58 million isn't a good number?

• Advertisement

I just thought the roll eyes suited the post :p lol
    Nothing wrong with 58 million But for most of that 58 million the 360 was being sold at a loss the 360 hardware has only been profitable for m$ in the last 2 years approx. http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/06/microsofts-xbox-360-to-finally-become-profitable-in-2008/

I just thought the roll eyes suited the post :p lol
    Nothing wrong with 58 million But for most of that 58 million the 360 was being sold at a loss the 360 hardware has only been profitable for m$ in the last 2 years approx.

150 million Ps2s is the lifetime sales of the machine, not the install base at release of ps3. 360 was profitable within a year and a half of going on sale. The machine was designed to become as profitable as soon as possible and some of the shortcuts lead into the RROD disaster. Edit wiki says xbox360 sales are 52.7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah just saw this....

http://kotaku.com/#!5799446/report-next+gen-xbox-already-at-ea-ea-thats-a-total-fabrication
    Michael McWhertor — Now that Nintendo has revealed its plans to jump into the next-generation with a successor to the Wii, will Microsoft and Sony follow suit? A report earlier today from Develop says that not only is Microsoft working on the next Xbox console, it's already in the hands of developer Electronic Arts.

The hitch? EA says that's not true at all.

Develop's report cited a "senior, trusted, well-placed source" who claimed that the successor to the Xbox 360 is real and sitting on the desks of an "unnamed Electronic Arts studio" in its non-finalized hardware form. Speculation by that source pointed to a "late 2012" launch for Microsoft's next-gen console.

Reached for comment on that rumor and speculation, EA categorically denied the report.

"This story is a total fabrication – 100 percent not true," said EA VP of communications Jeff Brown in a statement to Kotaku.

Kotaku has heard from its own sources that Microsoft and Sony are looking further into the future for the next Xbox and PlayStation 4, possibly as late as 2014.

Develop source: New Xbox console on desks at EA [Develop]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mo way they are making new one. They will still milk this cow for long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I doubt they would call it 720 either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's a good idea to start planning ahead for the next generation of consoles now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the future.

This generation already supports HD gaming and in recent months, 3D gaming so it'll be interesting to see what the next development will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I don't know about 3D gaming I mean I go cross-eyed playing the Nintendo 3DS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

justryan wrote: »
    I don't know about 3D gaming I mean I go cross-eyed playing the Nintendo 3DS

Thats how the 3DS does 3D do. It tricks your brain kind of like a cross eyed effect.

If it feels like your cross eyed, it means its most likely misconfigured. Play with the slider some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Gotta be bull****. Sure they only started advertising for people to work on new hardware recently and 360 has at least another couple of years left in it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

the xbox 720 was rumored since 2007 ffs lol

and thats what the guys selling rumors called it too.

i know there is a new console upcoming for ms but it will be 2 to 3 years till release i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i bought the 250gb slim model a few months ago, it was more of an investment because i knew my 60gb xbox would brick sometime and get rrod so i said id get it when i had the money.

honestly if i knew an xbox 720 would be out by next year i wouldnt of bothered, im kind of pisse* at this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i bought the 250gb slim model a few months ago, it was more of an investment because i knew my 60gb xbox would brick sometime and get rrod so i said id get it when i had the money.

honestly if i knew an xbox 720 would be out by next year i wouldnt of bothered, im kind of pisse* at this.

I can't see any reason you have to be pissed.

There is no official word on when the new console will be made could be anywhere from 1-3 years or so from now, and it's certainly not Microsoft's or anyone elses fault that you bought an xbox like what? 6/7 years into it's life cycle.

While the rumour is pretty much false (If you believe EA), i find it hard to believe that the new xbox isn't in the final stages of development at this stage. A new nintendo console being announced this year and the PS3 is already outselling it weekly worldwide and is set to have a larger install base this time next year.

While the rumour is pretty much false (If you believe EA), i find it hard to believe that the new xbox isn't in the final stages of development at this stage. A new nintendo console being announced this year and the PS3 is already outselling it weekly worldwide and is set to have a larger install base this time next year.

Err, not in the UK and US it isn't :S

Also let me see if I can find the story about MS hiring for work on a new console.

Yes here it is:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-seeking-staff-for-next-gen-xbox

That was in March.

phant0m wrote: »
    Err, not in the UK and US it isn't :S

Also let me see if I can find the story about MS hiring for work on a new console.

Yes here it is:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-seeking-staff-for-next-gen-xbox

That was in March.

That's why i said "worldwide" ;)

That's why i said "worldwide" ;)

Ah so you actually meant Japan and mainland Europe.

Ok got ya then so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

The lifespan of the consoles has been put to 2014-2015 area by the manufacturers.l

it frustrates me that nobody seems to understand what lifecycle means in relation to consoles

it doesnt mean the time between release and the release of the next console, it means the entire time it's being manufactured. the PS2 is still in its lifecycle btw, and the ps3 has been out for almost 5 years

we WILL see a new ps and new xbox within the next 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Helix wrote: »
    it frustrates me that nobody seems to understand what lifecycle means in relation to consoles

it doesnt mean the time between release and the release of the next console, it means the entire time it's being manufactured. the PS2 is still in its lifecycle btw, and the ps3 has been out for almost 5 years

Have to completely agree here, there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to NOT release a new console and still have the 360 on the market. I think a lot of the thought behind a new MS console meaning the end of the 360 is based on how quickly the original black box was pulled after the 360 was released.

But remember, in the above instance, MS were determined to not only beat Sony to the proverbial punch in terms of releasing a next-gen console, but also determined to install a user base as quickly as possible. Given how well the PS2 was doing, not to mention the upcoming PS3, it made sense to install one product under the MS brand at the time, and concentrate on that, to guarantee a good lead and a sizable user base, before the release of the PS3.

With that in mind, however, you only have to look at the life cycle of other Microsoft products to see that if there is a large enough user base to make it profitable, while sitting beside a newer product, then MS will continue support for it. (see XP & Vista/7) IMO, in the instance of the original xbox and the 360, it wasn't financially viable to support two consoles at the same time.

While i don't think we will se any major announcements at this years E3, i wouldn't be at all surprised come 2013 to see a new console announced for the following holiday period.

Apologies for the length of the above.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Helix wrote: »

Is the PS2 still in its lifecycle? Been looking for over a year for a new console and it's "out of stock" everywhere. PS2 has been out of it for a good 18 months if not 2 years. You're right in the general thrust of your point but you fall into complete bullshit in the specifics.

Advertisement