Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox720!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Have to completely agree here, there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to NOT release a new console and still have the 360 on the market. I think a lot of the thought behind a new MS console meaning the end of the 360 is based on how quickly the original black box was pulled after the 360 was released.

But remember, in the above instance, MS were determined to not only beat Sony to the proverbial punch in terms of releasing a next-gen console, but also determined to install a user base as quickly as possible. Given how well the PS2 was doing, not to mention the upcoming PS3, it made sense to install one product under the MS brand at the time, and concentrate on that, to guarantee a good lead and a sizable user base, before the release of the PS3.

With that in mind, however, you only have to look at the life cycle of other Microsoft products to see that if there is a large enough user base to make it profitable, while sitting beside a newer product, then MS will continue support for it. (see XP & Vista/7) IMO, in the instance of the original xbox and the 360, it wasn't financially viable to support two consoles at the same time.

While i don't think we will se any major announcements at this years E3, i wouldn't be at all surprised come 2013 to see a new console announced for the following holiday period.

Apologies for the length of the above.....

Comparing PC timeframes for operating systems to games consoles. Yeah, that makes sense.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

amacachi wrote: »
    Is the PS2 still in its lifecycle? Been looking for over a year for a new console and it's "out of stock" everywhere. PS2 has been out of it for a good 18 months if not 2 years. You're right in the general thrust of your point but you fall into complete bullshit in the specifics.
    Games are still being released for it, ergo its still in its life cycle

Plenty of ps2s in gamestop over here last time i was in btw. Could be excess stock but its still there, and there are still games coming out for it. If that qualifies it as a dead system in your book, fair play to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Comparing PC timeframes for operating systems to games consoles. Yeah, that makes sense.:rolleyes:

Well i'm certainly not claiming them to be the same thing, it was more an example of justifying support for two similiar systems as oppossed to scrapping one to concentrate on another. My point, which seems to have been missed, is that it is more than likely financially viable to support a new console aswell as the current gen, given the direction the current gen is taking. And irrespective of how good any new MS console is, there will always be an established user base that warrants support, which is something that was lacking with the original xbox IMO.

Helix wrote: »

Plenty of ps2s in gamestop over here last time i was in btw. Could be excess stock but its still there, and there are still games coming out for it. If that qualifies it as a dead system in your book, fair play to you

Which Gamestop is that? I was asking all around Dublin in September and Game, Gamestop and HMV said they were all out in every shop.

Which Gamestop is that? I was asking all around Dublin in September and Game, Gamestop and HMV said they were all out in every shop.

Im in Toronto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/06/a-brand-new-dreamcast-game-from-german-developers/

No offense but I consider the Dreamcasts lifecycle to have ended around 2002 despite the fact that games are still released (albeit in minute quantaties).

Vyse wrote: »
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/06/a-brand-new-dreamcast-game-from-german-developers/

No offense but I consider the Dreamcasts lifecycle to have ended around 2002 despite the fact that games are still released (albeit in minute quantaties).

one game in 2006 for a console that ended production in 2001 does not mean its in its life cycle ffs

stop taking things to their extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Next Gen Consoles won't be here until 2014.

Project Café will steal E3. No way Microsoft will rush out console specifics now just to out-perform Nintendo pushing through a "Next-Gen" console.

At E3, expect some announcement with Skype, new Kinect games and maybe they have something else up their sleeve.

720 sounds lame anyway!

Le King wrote: »
    Next Gen Consoles won't be here until 2014.

Project Café will steal E3. No way Microsoft will rush out console specifics now just to out-perform Nintendo pushing through a "Next-Gen" console.

At E3, expect some announcement with Skype, new Kinect games and maybe they have something else up their sleeve.

720 sounds lame anyway!

i dont think there'll be any rushing. its already been confirmed that ms are hiring staff for the console, and square enix have a new toronto studio opening soon specifically for next gen development. the next generation is no more than a couple of years away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I dont give a ****e when a new xbox is released just as long as my gamerscore is carried over, if i put all those hours, days, weeks, months and years into it and it's all for nothing then id call it a day gaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

luckyfrank wrote: »
    I dont give a ****e when a new xbox is released just as long as my gamerscore is carried over, if i put all those hours, days, weeks, months and years into it and it's all for nothing then id call it a day gaming

eh, did you not enjoy playing the games? Or do you only play games to increase the size of your virtual penis (Gamerscore) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Korvanica wrote: »
    eh, did you not enjoy playing the games? Or do you only play games to increase the size of your virtual penis (Gamerscore) :rolleyes:

All to do with the virtual peins almost as big as the real one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Picked a PS2 console up from the one in Blanchardstown SC there a few months ago. In there two weeks ago and they are still selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

one game in 2006 for a console that ended production in 2001 does not mean its in its life cycle ffs

stop taking things to their extreme

I think you'll find the game I alluded to is due for release in 2011. Plus there has been far more than one game released on the DC since it ended production. I'm only going by what you stated:

"Games are still being released for it, ergo its still in its life cycle". Seems pretty straight forward to me.

And before you ask, no I don't think the DC is still within it's lifecycle and I'm pretty sure the majority of people over here will say the same for the PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

luckyfrank wrote: »
    All to do with the virtual peins almost as big as the real one ;)

Or maybe even as small as the real one?? ;)

Taltos wrote: »
    Picked a PS2 console up from the one in Blanchardstown SC there a few months ago. In there two weeks ago and they are still selling them.

Not now they're not. Not new ones at least. Though if 2nd hand consoles count I don't think anything is out of its lifecycle.

Advertisement