Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REALLY NEED HELP WINDOWS MEDIA THANKS

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi I really need help with my windows media player. I have video files on a usb and when I try to play them it plays the sound and not the video just the windows thing as if it was playing a song. At first I thought it was just the files then a tried a few others and the exact same happens. I am running windows vista. Any help would be much appreciated please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What file types are you trying to play?
    Try using vlc player
    www.videolan.org

Also check for windows updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What file types are you trying to play?
    Try using vlc player
    www.videolan.org

Also check for windows updates.

Thanks for some reason they are AVI but on my friends computer they play perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

and what version of windows media player/windows operating system are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's probably an issue with compression/decompression algorithms .. known as codecs... Gspot (dont laugh) will let you find out what codecs you need to be able to view and hear the files...

Or if you just download Divx there will be a fair chance it will run.. (without having to think about it .. lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi I really need help with my windows media player. I have video files on a usb and when I try to play them it plays the sound and not the video just the windows thing as if it was playing a song. At first I thought it was just the files then a tried a few others and the exact same happens. I am running windows vista. Any help would be much appreciated please :)

You problem is being caused by a missing codec.

You need to download and install the Xvid codec and that will give you picture too.

Get it HERE:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

download CCCP which will give you all the codecs you'll ever need
    http://www.cccp-project.net/
    or as cookie says use VLC

Advertisement