Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to transpose music to score can you help?

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm lookin for someone to transpose my guitar songs to score? let me know your price and pm me or post back here if you wish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Onesimus wrote: »
    Hi. I'm lookin for someone to transpose my guitar songs to score? let me know your price and pm me or post back here if you wish.
    Are you talking about converting guitar tab to music notation? If so, Guitar Pro will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Malice wrote: »
    Are you talking about converting guitar tab to music notation? If so, Guitar Pro will do that for you.

How does that work? do you just upload your song in mp3 format and it puts it into score automantically? or do you have to tab out your song for it and work it that way yourself?

Onesimus

Onesimus wrote: »
    How does that work? do you just upload your song in mp3 format and it puts it into score automantically? or do you have to tab out your song for it and work it that way yourself?
    The easiest thing to do is probably just to download the demo and play with it :). It can import a few different formats but I've only ever imported MIDI. Generally when I'm using it to compose, I'll write out the tab myself as that's what I understand. Guitar Pro generates the music notation at the same time. You can export to PDF (amongst other formats) to hand it to a cello player then for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

How can you convert tab to notation?

Surely it would be just an approximation...which would be not really any use as I imagine the OP wants it in notation form so other people can play/evaluate it?

OP this would be a very difficult task depending on the music obviously; possibly put an add up in the music colleges as any professional would charge a fortune for accurate transcriptions.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    How can you convert tab to notation?

Surely it would be just an approximation...which would be not really any use as I imagine the OP wants it in notation form so other people can play/evaluate it?
    I'm in work at the moment but I'll post up something generated by Guitar Pro later on and you can see if what it produces meets your standards. I have handed generated scores to piano and cello players in the past and they haven't complained. As in, I've written some music in Guitar Pro using the tab notation that I'm familiar with and handed them the accompanying music notation.

• Advertisement

I'm in work at the moment but I'll post up something generated by Guitar Pro later on and you can see if what it produces meets your standards. I have handed generated scores to piano and cello players in the past and they haven't complained. As in, I've written some music in Guitar Pro using the tab notation that I'm familiar with and handed them the accompanying music notation.

Perhaps TAB is far more sophisticated than I thought...I had no idea.
    I knew you could do basic stuff like pull ons/offs etc. but how do you show things like key signatures, timings, note measures, fingering....

Perhaps TAB is far more sophisticated than I thought...I had no idea.
    I knew you could do basic stuff like pull ons/offs etc. but how do you show things like key signatures, timings, note measures, fingering....
    You're absolutely right that tab itself isn't going to show key signatures, time signatures, note measures or fingering but the OP isn't looking to produce tab, he's looking to produce music notation which does show that.

Here's a part of a song I was working on. You get a gold star if you can figure out the computer game that it's from :).
    I've taken the lead guitar track from the Guitar Pro file, rendered it to PDF, the image that you see below and you can also hear the guitar line (with the other instruments) on the attached MP3. Guitar Pro doesn't export directly to MP3, only WAV so I just used Audacity to convert it. The MP3 and the PDF are in the attached zip file.

So you can see in the image below it covers the tempo, tuning, key signature and time signature. The note measures are obvious from the music notation and the tab lines up underneath. I've put fingering in for the first bar only as it's quite awkward with the software interface. You can see the suggested fingering on the music notation.
    song_example.png

You're absolutely right that tab itself isn't going to show key signatures, time signatures, note measures or fingering but the OP isn't looking to produce tab, he's looking to produce music notation which does show that.

Understood that! I was wondering how the tab to notation process could produce key signatures, note measures etc?
    Surely you would need to indicate that somehow in the tab for the software to be able to output that in notation?

Here's a part of a song I was working on. You get a gold star if you can figure out the computer game that it's from :).
    I've taken the lead guitar track from the Guitar Pro file, rendered it to PDF, the image that you see below and you can also hear the guitar line (with the other instruments) on the attached MP3. Guitar Pro doesn't export directly to MP3, only WAV so I just used Audacity to convert it. The MP3 and the PDF are in the attached zip file.

Very cool software - I must try it out
    is it intutuitive enoguh for getting started - took me ages to get the hang on Sony Vegas, soundforge was easier though.

So you can see in the image below it covers the tempo, tuning, key signature and time signature. The note measures are obvious from the music notation and the tab lines up underneath.

This is the part I'm not quite getting...maybe I'm missing something
    seems you are indicating note measures in the tab...but i imagine this could get trick/messy..?

Understood that! I was wondering how the tab to notation process could produce key signatures, note measures etc?
    Surely you would need to indicate that somehow in the tab for the software to be able to output that in notation?
    Within Guitar Pro you can select the note length and define the key signature. It's outside of the tab itself but the notes will line up. There is also an indicator that'll tell you whether you've exceeded the number of beats in the bar which is very useful.
    stevejazzx wrote:
    is it intutuitive enoguh for getting started
    To be honest it did take me a while to get used to it. Some things are a little unintuitive. The most recent version has drastically changed how percussion is input and I don't like it at all. I do find it very useful for writing though now that I know my way around it.
    stevejazzx wrote:
    This is the part I'm not quite getting...maybe I'm missing something
    seems you are indicating note measures in the tab...but i imagine this could get trick/messy..?
    I never said the note measures were indicated in the tab, they're given in the notation above the tab and the tab lines up with that. The notes are displayed per the standard note values. For example the first bar consists of 7 sixteenth-notes, 2 eigth-notes, a sixteenth-note and a quarter-note. That gives us 7/16 + 4/16 + 1/16 + 4/16 = 16/16 or one full bar of 8/8 time. I've glossed over the fraction calculations but I'm sure you understand those :).

Within Guitar Pro you can select the note length and define the key signature. It's outside of the tab itself but the notes will line up. There is also an indicator that'll tell you whether you've exceeded the number of beats in the bar which is very useful.

To be honest it did take me a while to get used to it. Some things are a little unintuitive. The most recent version has drastically changed how percussion is input and I don't like it at all. I do find it very useful for writing though now that I know my way around it.

I never said the note measures were indicated in the tab, they're given in the notation above the tab and the tab lines up with that. The notes are displayed per the standard note values. For example the first bar consists of 7 sixteenth-notes, 2 eigth-notes, a sixteenth-note and a quarter-note. That gives us 7/16 + 4/16 + 1/16 + 4/16 = 16/16 or one full bar of 8/8 time. I've glossed over the fraction calculations but I'm sure you understand those :).

yeah was looking more closely at your example v cool I must say
    the only odd thing is that the notation is indicating trills? at those points the notes are just sustained?

i was looking for a program just like this and i had written guiatr pro off...can't wait to try it now

steve

• Advertisement

yeah was looking more closely at your example v cool I must say
    the only odd thing is that the notation is indicating trills? at those points the notes are just sustained?
    It's suppose to be vibrato rather than a trill and I really just threw it in to embellish the sound a bit but yeah, the notes are being held for the indicated length of time.
    stevejazzx wrote:
    i was looking for a program just like this and i had written guiatr pro off...can't wait to try it now
    I would definitely recommend giving it a go. Apart from it's use as a writing tool, I also use it for jamming along to backing tracks, scales, tuning, and for building up speed as you can slow down/speed up sections of songs without affecting the pitch.

Advertisement