Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant won't pay, won't leave either

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Slatemen wrote: »
    Yes. She got the letter and moved out a few days later, so I guess the system works. Of course, we are out EUR10,000 is back rent plus another EUR5,500 in damages to the house and garden.

She claimed she got a Council House, but we called the local housing officer and were informed that her name was not on the list. Seeing as how she has a job, I think she's just renting someplace. I'm going to try to find out where to warn the next landlord.

Also, since she has a job (she left all of her payslips behind), we are going to see about legal action to try to recoup some lost rent.

Didn't she play the system nicely in her favour, a years free rent and no record or conviction for her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bigus wrote: »
    Didn't she play the system nicely in her favour, a years free rent and no record or conviction for her.

Yes, she certainly did.
    She is giving legitimate tenants, and people who rely on RA etc, a bad name.
    If I were the OP- I would seriously chase her, out of principle more than anything else- its because of folk like her, that legitimate people who genuinely need assistance, get nada......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Slatemen wrote: »
    Yes. She got the letter and moved out a few days later, so I guess the system works. Of course, we are out EUR10,000 is back rent plus another EUR5,500 in damages to the house and garden.

She claimed she got a Council House, but we called the local housing officer and were informed that her name was not on the list. Seeing as how she has a job, I think she's just renting someplace. I'm going to try to find out where to warn the next landlord.

Also, since she has a job (she left all of her payslips behind), we are going to see about legal action to try to recoup some lost rent.
    Definitely chase her legally. I don't think there is anything illegal about contacting her work and explaining why you need to get in touch to her boss.

Warning the new landlord would be a nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

^^^
    It's well worth pursuing this legally. You may not get much money back but at the very least you will make life a little more difficult for this ex-tenant.

I feel bad for you OP. This was a really nasty thing to have happen. If you go through the courts, I wish you luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Definitely chase her legally. I don't think there is anything illegal about contacting her work and explaining why you need to get in touch to her boss.
    I'd call that harassment. Also, if she has a job, she can pay a fine. No job, no money to pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

Warning the new landlord would be a nice thing to do.

i would definitely tell the new landlord poor sod although maybe she took the p!ss so much because she knew you weren't in the country, if hes in ireland she might be better behaved. i can imagine the damage she and her brats caused, these skanks are just infuriating.

Ok guys- I get it, you're outraged, but lets tone it down a bit please.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd call that harassment. Also, if she has a job, she can pay a fine. No job, no money to pay the fine.
    One phone call wouldn't be harassment and as it a legitimate reason you wouldn't be going above a reasonable level if Judge Judy is anything to go by:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Slatemen

It is therapeutic to hear everyone's comments.

Some updates for those of you following the thread:

I've learned the tenant works for her sister, so something tells me that going after her boss or contacting her boss will be unhelpful. I don’t want to ID the tenant by naming the company (I’d get in trouble for that, I suspect), but I was shocked to learn she works in childcare.

I've also been advised by 2 honest solicitors not to go after her in the courts to recoup losses. It would likely cost more than we'd get back - so neither solicitor would be willing to take the case on that basis (having done so before). I was nice to talk to an honest lawyer though.

Lastly, I've learned from the PRTB that the tenant never received the Determination order (it hasn't been sent yet - was due to go out this week), so something else persuaded her to leave. I'm guessing it's the dozen (or more) rats who were living with her and her family in house and garden. They were feasting on the food in 50-60 rubbish bags she had been throwing into the garden over a period of 2 or 3 months (or longer).

It must have been like paradise for the rats out there.

Rentokil is trying to evict the rats now. They have more effective tools at their disposal.

One phone call wouldn't be harassment and as it a legitimate reason you wouldn't be going above a reasonable level if Judge Judy is anything to go by:)

Unfortunately Judge Judy can only practice law in the States of New York and Florida :)

Even a single phone call could legitimately be considered harrassment- however given that the OP has said she works for her sister- its a lost cause phoning her.

Follow up with a PRTB case- it doesn't cost anything- and the PRTB are the first port of call (and you don't need to get solicitors etc involved at this stage). At the end of the day- if it goes legal (other than the PRTB) its a civil action by you against her- providing its well documented, there is no need for unnecessary costs to be incurred by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This is the problem with the current system. The fine for illegal conviction is reduced by getting a tenant in quickly. So it may be a cheaper route, than waiting for the legal route. Though if the LL is a complete nut, the court might put the tenant back in. Though I don't see how they could if its been rented already.

If the legal route worked quickly and there was some method of getting money back, from a bad tenant, then LL would be encourage to go that route. But it doesn't.

Advertisement