Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise baby gerbil.

• 06-05-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

So the long and short of it is that the two male gerbils that I got from the pet shop have somehow managed to produce a single pup! At first the way they were carrying onI thought they were just a bit gay;)

I was about to clean out the cage today and found the little chap tucked away in the nest, he is 1-4 days old I think.

Question is how do I take care of the pup, and the parents at this time? I have absolutely no idea! Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Go back to the pet shop and tell them not that they will care but they should be given a bollickin anyway.

You need to take the dad out of the cage straight away unless you want even more babies, these gerbils are most likely related to each other as well so you don't want any inbreeding.

Once the baby is old enough to sex easier (ask a vet of experienced gerbil owner to help..do not ask the pet shop you got them from) if the baby is female it can stay with mum, if male the dad should accept him once he's old enough to leave mum.

Mum might already be preg. again btw.

I can't remember weaning age etc. it's been a while since I've had gerbils but someone else on here will fill you in on what age to seperate the baby etc.

I think there's still a gerbil society uk webpage that might be working googling for more info. as well. Think it's mongolian gerbil society or something like that.

Advertisement