Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for C section mommys

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

My little one is almost 4 weeks old. Had a long, traumatic birth that resulted in a section. Im still sore so have been relatively housebound (well started going out this week) and cant do too much around the house.

Just wondering for those who had a section when did you start to feel normal again?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It took a good 2 months for me. I was advised to walk as much as possible to promote the muscles stitching together. I did have a little pain around the scar for nearly a year, but it wasn't debilitating by any standard.

You will get back to yourself though, 15 months since mine and it's like I was never pregnant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

As Das Kitty said about 2 -3 months, but my skin was sensitive for a year or so after. You wouldn't even know i had a c-section now, my scar is more or less non-existent. It does get better so hang on in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Two months for me to, but every day I started to get better after the four weeks! Make sure to stay on top of your painkillers, because it makes such a difference, I stopped taking mine I was such a martyr and ended up at the doctor because I thought I had done myself an injury the pain was so horrible, it took me 6 weeks to be able to sit up normally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

About two months - the walking really helped though. The wee man is 11 months now and I completely forget I had it....other than when I look in the mirror and see the slightly higher knickers, the fading scar and the overhang:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Gosh I think two years but that has to do more with sleep deprivation than the section.

I gained a lot of liquid weight from the induction and the drugs which made it much harder to move around for a while. I was even heavier AFTER the baby was born because of those fluids. I think it took about 6 weeks to 'rid' of these fluids and get to a weight where I could move a bit better. Pain wasnt really a problem after a couple of weeks, more a mobility problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Having had 2 emergency sections.

After the first it took ages to recover, but I put a lot of it down to being slightly shell shocked at having a baby.

Second section, recovery was a lot quicker. My advice is take it easy, and if its your first try get out to meet other moms in your area, (baby massage) if you are breast feeding try the local HSE clinic they sometimes have BF support groups, it does get better

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks everyone for your replies, its really helpful.

Ocy Im going to join the local bf group this week. Going to look for a massage course too as baby is a VERY windy and need all the help I can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

I gained a lot of liquid weight from the induction and the drugs which made it much harder to move around for a while. I was even heavier AFTER the baby was born because of those fluids. I think it took about 6 weeks to 'rid' of these fluids and get to a weight where I could move a bit better. Pain wasnt really a problem after a couple of weeks, more a mobility problem.

Did you find you got a lot of night sweats - your body trying to get rid of these fluids?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies, its really helpful.

Ocy Im going to join the local bf group this week. Going to look for a massage course too as baby is a VERY windy and need all the help I can get!

For colic / wind, not really sure what worked but I tried all the same time and it did improve
    limit caffine i drank fennel tea instead
    limit chocolate
    limit green veg
    infacol

something worked it didn't go away but improved dramatically. On my first I tried baby massage, found it very social and great way to meet moms with babies of similiar ages, any from it i progressed to baby yoga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

mrsberries wrote: »
    Did you find you got a lot of night sweats - your body trying to get rid of these fluids?

I had a lot of sweating anyway, my son was born in the summertime in NYC and it is HOT.

I swelled up during the labour from the 23 hours of pitocin, glucose, anti biotics, and something else, I looked like a strapped down marrionett but a lot fatter and couldnt move my legs off the bed for a while because they were too heavy. I had to lift them using my arms and hands and eventually made a home made lever. It was ridiculous. Even the nurses were shocked looking at me. My body just couldnt process all those fluids.

I eventually took some amino acid pills, I dont know if it was co incidence or if they had an effect, but very soon after that, my body started flushing it out far more efficiently and in big gushes of pee. Sorry if tmi. And at about 6 weeks I started getting to a normal weight. By 8 weeks someone said to me 'you really dont look like a woman who just had a baby.'

Im not a big woman to start with, about 120 lbs, whatever that is in stone, and I was 206 lbs after the induction/section.

If you are getting night sweats, check your temp for a fever just to make sure your body isnt burning off an infection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement