Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Networked Dell Optiplex - Use as unnetworked PC, standalone

• 06-05-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I picked up a 6 year old Dell optiplex PC that was connected to a network. My problem is that I can't access it to do a reinstall. When I turn it on, the ctr, alt, del option comes up.

Any ideas on how to gain access and do a reinstall?

Thanks,

Finisklin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Are you saying that this was on a domain?
    What option do you get when you press ctrl-alt-del? If it asks for a username and pass there should also be a 3rd option with a drop down that you can change from the domain to the local computername - this will let you login locally to the computer without needing a networked server.
    You will need to know a user account on the computer. If you dont know you could try the administrator one, from the age of the pc it is prob Windows xp, therefore try administrator as the username, blank password. If that doesnt work you will have to get your hands on a password removal tool, there are many out there.
    Hope I understood your original post correctly, Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

If you want to reinstall the os, then you don't need to access the current installation.

Check the boot order in the bios to make sure the cd/DVD drive is before the hard drive, boot from the os installation cd and delete the existing partition and recreate it.

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Got a get my head around this......will revert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Tried the administrator route and that worked!

Loads the O/S however it has now split the gard disk into two. Can I delete the files etc. that is stored on the hard disk. I think I can do this through the control panel.

I hope to put a wireless card into it.

Not sure what the exact spec is on it but I am open to any suggestions on how to get more out of it.......

Advertisement