Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 MP5

Options
  • 06-05-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering what are the odds of seeing this on sale in Ireland?

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=mp5-a5

Its comes with 10 round mags but would the fact it has a retractable stock make it hard to licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ketron wrote: »

Its comes with 10 round mags but would the fact it has a retractable stock make it hard to licence?

One very like that for sale in a dealers in Kilmacow @€;500

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Hmm interesting, i'm getting bored with my ruger!

clivej wrote: »

Hey Clive, I noticed a few years back you were trying to licence a 223 in kilkenny, did you have any joy?

I've had a 22 for the last ten years and I'm looking for something with a bit more range, I'd go for a hornet but the ammo for a 223 is far cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

......................204.....................204.......................:D

......................204.....................204.......................:D

I noticed a lot of people suggesting the 204...what are the advantages of it? I presume it has a far flatter trajectory over a 223, its a little more pricey on the ammo front though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I thought the "I-don't-like-the-look-of-that-one-lads" clause would prevent something like that being licensed.

I thought the "I-don't-like-the-look-of-that-one-lads" clause would prevent something like that being licensed.

Yeah thats my feeling! Was just curious about it, think I'm better of getting a hornet or 223 if I can get a licence for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

If you have a ruger 10/22 changing to another semi auto .22 would only be an amendment to your licence and generally no questions asked as your swapping like for like.

GH

If you have a ruger 10/22 changing to another semi auto .22 would only be an amendment to your licence and generally no questions asked as your swapping like for like.

GH

No quite true now is it :eek:

It is if his Super/Chief Super agrees and he/she knows what the new rifle looks like and has no problem with how it looks ;)

Might be a different story if you do change and subsequent to that the Super/Chief Super sees what you have or you get a new Super/Chief Super for your renewal and he/she doesn't approve :eek:

GH firearms licencing is not black & white out there at all just because you currently can licence what you do :)

Cheers for the info lads, been out of the shooting scene for awhile, new years resolution finally kicking in and im going to get back into it! Hopefully do a few competitions during the summer!
    Probably be wasting my time going for something like that, I've heard the super in kilkenny can be a wee bit strict? I'd love to pimp out my 10/22 but im finding it hard to source custom parts here and the difference in prices between the uk and usa is unreal!
    At the moment I'd like to get a stock that is comfortable using a scope with, I have the carbine model and I find anything but the iron sights awkward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I live about 10mins to Kilmacow and i new there was a dealer there or is he a dealer? Where precisely is he in Kilmacow and what do they sell?
    cheers clive.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

when i bought my cz just over a year and a half ago from red mills he had a ruger semi auto not sure if it was a 22 or a 17 but it had a pistol grip and a folding stock it got sold no bother don't know how. If you look on youtube there is a chap firing one full auto using tracers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCsv30xysHA&feature=fvsrhere found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Can't see any use for it but plinking to be honest with you. Those sliding stocks on them are way too loose for formal target shooting and a protruding magazine the size of the ones on an mp5 is a major pain in the backside for hunting.

Hey Clive, I noticed a few years back you were trying to licence a 223 in kilkenny, did you have any joy?

I've had a 22 for the last ten years and I'm looking for something with a bit more range, I'd go for a hornet but the ammo for a 223 is far cheaper.
    No problem now If you have good reason to own.

lee70 wrote: »
    I live about 10mins to Kilmacow and i new there was a dealer there or is he a dealer? Where precisely is he in Kilmacow and what do they sell?
    cheers clive.

In the centre of the village across from the church, they sell ammo, shotguns, and rifles

I can't see why you can't buy any of these rifles with a pistol grip. Only a pistol grip on a shotgun needs a restricted license.

Cheers for the info lads, been out of the shooting scene for awhile, new years resolution finally kicking in and im going to get back into it! Hopefully do a few competitions during the summer!
    Probably be wasting my time going for something like that, I've heard the super in kilkenny can be a wee bit strict? I'd love to pimp out my 10/22 but im finding it hard to source custom parts here and the difference in prices between the uk and usa is unreal!
    At the moment I'd like to get a stock that is comfortable using a scope with, I have the carbine model and I find anything but the iron sights awkward!
    Can't see any use for it but plinking to be honest with you. Those sliding stocks on them are way too loose for formal target shooting and a protruding magazine the size of the ones on an mp5 is a major pain in the backside for hunting.

As clive has said its only a pistol grip on a shotgun that makes a shotgun restricted. Should your super have an issue about the rifle explain that you are swapping like for like, should have a problem with that, argue with him/her because in the long run you are right. The time for "I dont like that attitude" has to go and the more people are perpared to argue for what there legally allowed to have the more likely you will be to get it.

OP, Ive fired 1 a few years ago and could say that I know a little about HKs :) (there not made by HK). Firstly they are purely a pinker of a gun. They arent as accurate as a 10/22 nor ever will be able because it doesnt have the after market parts to tune it. Airsoft parts will fit (some stock manufacturers/handguards fit) so they can get gotten cheaply. It can be suppressed if that is what your into but again it will be for suppressed shooting cans off a wall as it unfortunatly wont win any competitions.

In all there a great fun gun and if you go for it then I wish you luck :)

GH

Kilkenny Super is fair and will look at every application with open eyes, not like a previous Super that I think you may be thinking of.

I have been searching long and hard for a custom 10/22 to do the Gallery competition shooting with. Thanks to some of the members here who gave me many different places to view. I found many places for info about the Ruger and what to do to make them better shooters.
    Try Rude Fat Dog in the UK for parts and custom builds.

You can compete with the Ruger you have. I was at the Harbour House club over the weekend and got to see many 10/22's there and not one Ruger part on some of the rifles. Try to get to a gallery competition to see them shoot.
    And it will depend how much you have to spend on one. A new Ruger tactical will cost €650 ish and shoot OK.

I had a couple of custom Rugers offered to me over the last couple of weeks and I'm buying this one, just did the deal over the weekend, in the UK

From this thread

It's looks like I'm sorted for a Ruger 10/22 Gallery rifle. I'm getting this in from the UK (hopefully it will all go well), was only talking to the seller on Sunday night. Getting the import/export sorted out now.

"High specification .22lr Ruger, cost about £1050 to build, for sale.
    Fully suppressed target rifle, volquartson 20 inch target barrel with a built in moderator (new £600). KIDD target trigger (new £275). Boyds Evolution ambidex stock (new £175 approx)".

NV scope not included.

Ruger2010_2220a.jpg

Ruger2010_222003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

going to be a fun gun for bunnies now Clive. Looking forward to seeing it in action there.

Cheers for the advice lads!! Its much appriciated!

From what I've been reading online and from what ye have told me, I'd be far better off customising my 10/22 than purchasing a gun purely for plinking, its about time! I've been meaning to do something with the stock trigger for years!!

I'll email Rude Fat Dog and see what they will quote me on a Volquartsen trigger and a decent stock. I've deceded I'll gradually customise the ruger for a nice rimfire target rifle and get a sererate hunting rifle (.223) as the funds allow. Clive that is one fine 10/22, just gets me thinking what I could do with mine! I might as well apply for a mod permit while I'm at it, it surely shouldnt matter if I actually end getting one or not? Just be nice to have the option and I presume it doesnt cost anything? Just a nicely worded letter :)

Speaking of gallery competitions, where is the closest place to kilkenny that runs them? The last time I was shooting was up in the midlands and that is a bit of a trek! I've nver shot 22 competively and the last time I was in a competion was about five years ago!

Thanks for all your help again lads, boards is a great way to to find out this info!

I'm a member of the Midlands range and was shooting at the Harbour House club just the Dublin side of Athy.
    Ketron you do say what part of the country your in, is it KK??, but I think you'll find that there's comps on in difference parts throughout the summer.

If its KK i'll be happy to meet up with ya sometime.

I'm a member of the Midlands range and was shooting at the Harbour House club just the Dublin side of Athy.
    Ketron you do say what part of the country your in, is it KK??, but I think you'll find that there's comps on in difference parts throughout the summer.

If its KK i'll be happy to meet up with ya sometime.
    Yeah Clive I'm in Kilkenny, that would be great!! Thanks, its been ages since I've been shooting, just getting back into the last month or so, be nice to go to a competition even just to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

You can compete with the Ruger you have. I was at the Harbour House club over the weekend and got to see many 10/22's there and not one Ruger part on some of the rifles. Try to get to a gallery competition to see them shoot.
    And it will depend how much you have to spend on one. A new Ruger tactical will cost €650 ish and shoot OK.

I had a couple of custom Rugers offered to me over the last couple of weeks and I'm buying this one, just did the deal over the weekend, in the UK

I thought the tacti-cool 10/22 would be ristricted under the "it looks like an assault rifle if you squint from a distance" law

kieranfitz wrote: »
    I thought the tacti-cool 10/22 would be ristricted under the "it looks like an assault rifle if you squint from a distance" law

IMO
    NOT SO ......as said before only shotguns with a pistol grip are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you want to make your 10 22 look more like one of these tacticool 22s I have a synthetic stock with a regular grip and full length picatinny rails on the sides and top. It would allow you to mount a light or anything else that takes your fancy.
    I don't use it anymore and can sell it to you if you want to go down that road.

This has been covered almost to death :P so have a read of this ....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71548242

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Ah that kind of tacti-cool, sorry i was thinking of something more ar-ish

like this
    ruger_banner..jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

A friend of mine in LA makes and sells these kits:

img_8082fixed.jpg

military.jpg

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I'll be coming back to Ireland wednesday for 10 days
    would it be legal to bring a few?

Ah that kind of tacti-cool, sorry i was thinking of something more ar-ish

like this
    ruger_banner..jpg

Irrespective of whether it looks like either AR/AK/HK/MKE/FN.... (you get the pic.... The point is that internally it will not look anything remotely like an assault rifle. If you take the rifle as a complete internal and external review you are looking at chalk and cheese. Such is the extent of there differences its like trying to compare a beetle to a porshe.... sure on an external view they look simular......

If a tricked out 10/22 is what you wanna use for shootin targets or bunnies then go for it (although the flasthider in the attached pic is a little overkill :P). So long as your magazines dont go past 10 rounds to turn it from not restricted to restricted.... you will be fine.
    harmoniums wrote: »
    A friend of mine in LA makes and sells these kits:

img_8082fixed.jpg

military.jpg

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I'll be coming back to Ireland wednesday for 10 days
    would it be legal to bring a few?

To start.... You would need an export licence from the US as you are exporting gunparts worth over €100.

Legalities over here... Im sure there are LOADS lol.... but the biggest problem would be getting someone to buy them off ya !

With those 50 round promags id love to see how the standard barrel would handle the heat :)

GH

GH I reckon you could split a hair into loads of pieces :p

OP, easy solution, get a photo of what you want and show it to your Firearms Officer and ask if they will licence it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

If you take the rifle as a complete internal and external review you are looking at chalk and cheese. Such is the extent of there differences its like trying to compare a beetle to a porshe.... sure on an external view they look simular......

Surely, everyone one knows the difference between a beetle and a porsche?

Beetle:
    beetle.jpg

Porsche:
    Porch.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

It's the look of that gun you might have a problem with,,rifles that resemble assault or military rifles!!!

Advertisement