Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Season?

• 06-05-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭

Season 4 for me

1. It wasn't dominated by a big bad plot arc. Dont' get me wrong, I liked all the bb plot arcs, but I found that this season gave more of a chance for the characters to breathe and also there were more humerous episodes.

2. I really like sci fi and fantasy horror, so the combination of both is a winner. I thought it was a really cool direction to take and would have preferred if the iniative were around longer after S4.

3. The big bad was a cyberdemon. As someone who played a lot of Doom I really enjoyed this. Also for a villain he was highly intelligent and actually not all that bad, I mean he did some very evil things but he just wanted to usher in a new era for his people. He always struck me as someone who should become a physics professor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Season 4 for me too but for none of the above reasons.

I think it's the series where it turned from being very good TV to being something a little bit more for me.

There were hints of it in previous seasons but season 4 took it to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd probably go with season 4 as well - think its the first season I saw in full, but character development wise, it was the best and Spike was drafted in as a season regular which can never be a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm surprised that season 4 is so popular. I thought it was one of the least popular seasons with the fandom due to boring Riley and stupidity of the inititiative. I do agree that adam was one of the better big bads. and i loved the episodes "hush" and "superstar"

Season 5 for me- much preferred Glory to Adam. Some standout episodes like "the body" and season finale. And spike was really great in this season with his conflicted feelings for Buffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't get the Riley hate, he was a stand up dude, Angel by contrast was the only boring extremely cliched character, the whole dark and brooding gothic romance novel action hero characterization thing was crap imo. I think it really peaked in season 5, all the threads of what it was were pulled together in that season. The first two seasons had powerful vampires, the third had a mayor looking for demigod status, the fourth again had a sort of demigod and the fifth had an actual badass god, who was seemingly invincible, all powerful and generally unstoppable. I think people diss season 6 so much because it couldn't live up to the cumulative awesomeness of the first 5 seasons, but it was still ok nonetheless. Season 7 for me was a bit meh because basically taking on the first evil is kind of like taking on the universe, if the first evil was the source of all evil then defeating it would negate the existence of evil. I preferred the idea that vampires and demons were like people but a seperate species who attacked people in the same way we hunt/farm animals for food. That added more complexity into the mix. Also the potentials idea was lame. However I thought Caleb was suitably odious villain, possibly one of the best because he was a disturbing character and not as comic book in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm surprised that season 4 is so popular. I thought it was one of the least popular seasons with the fandom due to boring Riley and stupidity of the inititiative.

Me too. I always thought S3 was the undisputed king. S4 and S5 were my least favourite seasons, yet they were both teaming with absolutely fantastic episodes, I just didn't like the overall narrative of either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Season 6 for me , Bad willow all the way !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seasons 2 and 3 are my favourite, followed by 4. I hate 5 because I hate both Dawn and Glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I love season 2, 3 and 4 the most - I love seeing Buffy and the gang grow up. I loved High school and college - Buffy's tortured romance with Angel and the episode where she told Giles about how she had to kill Angel to save the world. Prom. When Oz left. Adam. The Mayor. The big fight between Buffy and Faith. So good.

I hate Season 7 - normally I love Buffy's personality but she's really irritating at times in this one. The constant digs at Giles 'You can stay behind and be with the girls who still need a teacher' (mean!) and the way she listens to noone. I also didn't like the way she used Spike as an emotional crutch but would give him no indication of her feelings in return. I believe she told him he couldn't leave her house because 'she's not ready for him not to be there anymore'.

I also hated the way everyone ganged up on Buffy - even Dawn. I was proud of Spike when he gave out to them the next day and shamed them 'She died for you'. How dare they kick her out of her own house!

I fúckin HATE Kennedy and the whole thing with her and Willow make me angry and sad. She's nothing compared to Tara. When I heard that there was plans to bring Tara back in Season 7 (as part of an episode where Buffy's one wish was granted by the Powers that Be) I was so sad that they weren't able to make it work, it would have been so powerful.

It just feels like it could have been soooooooooo much better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd agree with a lot of the Kimia. I got very angry at a lot of points in Season 7.

SyFy is currently showing season 5 and it's reminded me of how much I dislike it. It's just boring IMO. I have such a strong hatred of Dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The one with the Mayor and Faith as the villains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yup, Season 3 that be. Best of the lot IMO. Great individual eps, best bad guy of the lot, and some brilliant episodes to boot. After that the seasons got weaker but there were still some brilliant episodes in amongst the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

I think season 2 & 3 were my favourites. Although I have been watching 5 again and I liked Glory but something confuses me about it. If someone could answer this then that would be good because it is really getting on my nerves:P

Why did the monks turn the key into a human and try and hide it from Glory? Initially it seems to prevent the different dimensions all coming together should she get the key, but in the final episode they say that once the blood of Dawn was spilled then the only way to prevent that from happening was for her to die. Then Glory would go back to her own dimension and the world would be fine. Hence the dilemma for Buffy, save the world or save Dawn.

Was Glory intending to use it to open all the dimensions, because she only really talked about wanting to get home. If not then why not give her the key and let her get back to her own hell dimension as opposed to making the key human, risking the spilling of partial blood and opening all dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kmurr04

I think season 2 & 3 were my favourites. Although I have been watching 5 again and I liked Glory but something confuses me about it. If someone could answer this then that would be good because it is really getting on my nerves:P

Why did the monks turn the key into a human and try and hide it from Glory? Initially it seems to prevent the different dimensions all coming together should she get the key, but in the final episode they say that once the blood of Dawn was spilled then the only way to prevent that from happening was for her to die. Then Glory would go back to her own dimension and the world would be fine. Hence the dilemma for Buffy, save the world or save Dawn.

Was Glory intending to use it to open all the dimensions, because she only really talked about wanting to get home. If not then why not give her the key and let her get back to her own hell dimension as opposed to making the key human, risking the spilling of partial blood and opening all dimensions

season 5 was my favourite glory really made it! i think the monks made the key in human form to prevent glory from finding it, she couldn't sense the key in its human form and it give everyone a fighting chance

kmurr04 wrote: »
    season 5 was my favourite glory really made it! i think the monks made the key in human form to prevent glory from finding it, she couldn't sense the key in its human form and it give everyone a fighting chance

But if all the key did was send her back to her own hell dimension then why not let her have it. It was because they put it in human form that meant that if only partial blood was spilled then the dimensions would mix but if Dawn died then it would just send Glory back to her dimension. Buffy's attachment to Dawn meant she would never kill her to save the world.

This has been really bothering me since I re-watched it:p

But if all the key did was send her back to her own hell dimension then why not let her have it. It was because they put it in human form that meant that if only partial blood was spilled then the dimensions would mix but if Dawn died then it would just send Glory back to her dimension. Buffy's attachment to Dawn meant she would never kill her to save the world.

This has been really bothering me since I re-watched it:p

but if they just let her have the key then buffy would be finished and the earth would become hell! don't think the monks ever expected dawn or buffy to sacrifice themselves they never expected glory to find the key in the first place at least thats my take on it :D

but if they just let her have the key then buffy would be finished and the earth would become hell! don't think the monks ever expected dawn or buffy to sacrifice themselves they never expected glory to find the key in the first place at least thats my take on it :D

But she did find the key and as long as all the blood drained from Dawn then the world would be fine and Glory would return to her own dimension without the dimensions colliding. So why did the monks not just sacrifice Dawn/the key, and let Glory back to her own dimension. Unless perhaps they didn't know that.

But she did find the key and as long as all the blood drained from Dawn then the world would be fine and Glory would return to her own dimension without the dimensions colliding. So why did the monks not just sacrifice Dawn/the key, and let Glory back to her own dimension. Unless perhaps they didn't know that.

whether or not they give glory the key or not from the first few epsiodes i took it that glory was stuck on earth in bens body and she needed the key to return to her hell dimension so if they had not introduced dawn as the key and the monks just handed the key over the earth would be finished and it would be a very short season of buffy.

whether or not they give glory the key or not from the first few epsiodes i took it that glory was stuck on earth in bens body and she needed the key to return to her hell dimension so if they had not introduced dawn as the key and the monks just handed the key over the earth would be finished and it would be a very short season of buffy.

That is the bit that confuses me. In the final episodes we know that if all of the blood of Dawn is spilled then the world will not end. The dimensions opened with the spilling of her blood and closed when she died (all the blood spilled). Presumably the same would be the case if the key had stayed in its original form.

Although it definitely would have made it a very short season. Just one episode really:D

That is the bit that confuses me. In the final episodes we know that if all of the blood of Dawn is spilled then the world will not end. The dimensions opened with the spilling of her blood and closed when she died (all the blood spilled). Presumably the same would be the case if the key had stayed in its original form.

Although it definitely would have made it a very short season. Just one episode really:D

if the key was left in its original form though how would the dimensions close after glory got home?

if the key was left in its original form though how would the dimensions close after glory got home?

That is what I am wondering. How would they have opened too?
    But either way the monks could have made the key human, which they did, and then sacrifice Dawn to Glory and ensure all the blood was spilled. It would have killed Dawn who wasn't real anyway, and ensured that Glory was gone and the dimensions stayed closed. Unless perhaps they didn't know that it would stop once Dawn was killed. We only found that out in the later episodes (from the Watcher's Council I think? Not certain)

• Advertisement

That is what I am wondering. How would they have opened too?
    But either way the monks could have made the key human, which they did, and then sacrifice Dawn to Glory and ensure all the blood was spilled. It would have killed Dawn who wasn't real anyway, and ensured that Glory was gone and the dimensions stayed closed. Unless perhaps they didn't know that it would stop once Dawn was killed. We only found that out in the later episodes (from the Watcher's Council I think? Not certain)

hmm you've got me thinking must watch season 5 again although i really don't think it mentions a whole lot of information about the key other than what it does and the fact it is dawn. if the monks left the key in its original form would the key hole still be in the same place? if there was no blood how would the dimensions close again? did the monks not say though that the key couldn't be destroyed so there only hope was to hide it from glory and hope that buffy could stop her or at least hold her off!

Advertisement