Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take That...

Options
  • 06-05-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Are better with Robbie Williams.

Discuss:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

First of all we have to clarify that they're shíte ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

FearDark wrote: »

Not much clarification needed, tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

No we need to clarify your bashing.
    nummnutts wrote: »
    Not much clarification needed, tbf.

No clarification this thread is not for argument sake. Its for discussion on whether TT were better as a four-piece or five-piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

it went without saying.

for the record. 4 piece. heard a few songs off each of the 3 albums since they reunited. the first two seemed better by a distance. 8 words is a rip off of ultavox's vienna

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

32_4_1 wrote: »
    it went without saying.

for the record. 4 piece. heard a few songs off each of the 3 albums since they reunited. the first two seemed better by a distance. 8 words is a rip off of ultavox's vienna

Agree regarding the first two albums, Patience, Rule the World, Greatest day are great pop tunes imo. Progress has been a huge let down, Gary Barlow really needs to get back to the piano and do what he does best, and not worry about accommodating everyone, the song he wrote for Dame Shirely Bassey recently is really what he does best, beautiful melody/song.

Regarding Eight Letters, Vienna was something that Gary really wanted to use for some time, think you will find that Gary went to Midge Ure and they are credited and as you can see Midge even appeared at Gary's recent concert, oh and Girls please stop screaming at concerts :(

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Agree regarding the first two albums, Patience, Rule the World, Greatest day are great pop tunes imo. Progress has been a huge let down, Gary Barlow really needs to get back to the piano and do what he does best, and not worry about accommodating everyone, the song he wrote for Dame Shirely Bassey recently is really what he does best, beautiful melody/song.

Regarding Eight Letters, Vienna was something that Gary really wanted to use for some time, think you will find that Gary went to Midge Ure and they are credited and as you can see Midge even appeared at Gary's recent concert, oh and Girls please stop screaming at concerts :(

Firstly thanks to the above posters who brought this thread back-on-topic.
    I understand some people have been disappointed by Progress that is understandable. I myself have mixed feelings about Progress.

Beautiful World - 8/10 : Great reunion album from a band who were ready to show they were more than just a boyband. Gary's melody shows best wth "Patience" and "I'd Wait For Life" and of course "Rule The World" is the best power ballad ever written by TT. Mark also breaks out with "Shine", the song that ignited a new future for TT as the live performers we know now

The Circus - 9.8/10 : I totally agree with those who believe TT came back with an even-better post-reunion album. This record is nearly perfect. The ballads are even greater with better meaning in "Greatest Day", "The Circus" and "Said It All". "Hold Up A Light" also reveals the height at which TT can bring up their lively tunes. "Hello" also shows Mark's love for being centre-stage, which is why we love him all he same.

Progress - 7/10 : While this album could've had a higher rating, this is not bad for TT. I've heard much more disappointing albums but I feel it was best that with this record they tried something different. But what I like about Progress is its deeper, some more mature stuff in there too. Some songs had potential but were not made strong enough (Eg Underground Machine). That song could have used a bit more work but otherwise it was still a decent recording. Gary showed that he still has potential with "Eight Letters". Sure this song sounds similar to Ultravox but most people take influences to that level some time or another. No band is totally original. Overall "The Flood" was the best tune on this CD, it represents a new beginning for Gary and Robbie. It buries the hatchet reflected upon by "Shame".

In summary I believe Progress was a turn in the right direction but it could have been given more time. Some songs aren't strong enough but at least TT showed diversity in the music they make. We will see how the tour goes when all 5 of them promote a few songs from Progress and perform all their greatest hits together for the first time since 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

the flood or wooden boat are the best songs ive heard from them. their second reunion album seems the best overall from what ive heard. i hope the get rid of robbie for the next album. they work better as a 4 piece in my opinion.

barlow made williams. he thought he was too good and left them. when his career went down the shítter in the uk he came crawling back. it was pathetic. i cant believe they let him back in. i would have told him where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 86,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I prefer them without Robbie tbh

Apparently the next album will be just the four of them but Gary has said on many occasions Robbie is welcome to come back and join them anytime he likes.

I reckon their next album as a five-piece will not be the next album but the one after that.

Robbie's new solo album is due to be released in the autumn of next year, which will more than likely be the same time the new Take That album will be.

So I reckon 2013 will see them tour separately but then it will be the five of them again and maybe vice-versa for the album and tour after that.

Might be better that way as there are some fans who would prefer to see them live without Robbie and likewise Robbie on his own.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently the next album will be just the four of them but Gary has said on many occasions Robbie is welcome to come back and join them anytime he likes.

I reckon their next album as a five-piece will not be the next album but the one after that.

Robbie's new solo album is due to be released in the autumn of next year, which will more than likely be the same time the new Take That album will be.

So I reckon 2013 will see them tour separately but then it will be the five of them again and maybe vice-versa for the album and tour after that.

Might be better that way as there are some fans who would prefer to see them live without Robbie and likewise Robbie on his own.

Jason has left now

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jason has left now

Yeah I heard. I could see them split again, assuming sales of the next album and possible tour are disappointing.

Part of the reason I think establishing themselves as a four-piece was easy is because people were bored of Robbie Williams solo material in 2006 but because Take That enjoyed so many years as a four-piece I don't think a trio incarnation would feel as new and exciting especially as there's no Orange solo work to compare it to.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Yeah I heard. I could see them split again, assuming sales of the next album and possible tour are disappointing.

Part of the reason I think establishing themselves as a four-piece was easy is because people were bored of Robbie Williams solo material in 2006 but because Take That enjoyed so many years as a four-piece I don't think a trio incarnation would feel as new and exciting especially as there's no Orange solo work to compare it to.

Barlow has done well this time around as a solo artist he might prefer to stay on his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Take That And Party (1992) sold very poorly on vinyl.

Advertisement