Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of footwear?

• 06-05-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Ive recently started the couch to 5k programme, into week 4 now and Im starting to get sore shins/calves. Ive been stretching like a lunatic but am now thinking I need to get a Gait Analysis.

Ive been told to get Vibram Fivefingers by somebody who likes there running but would like to know what is best?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi Folks,

Ive recently started the couch to 5k programme, into week 4 now and Im starting to get sore shins/calves. Ive been stretching like a lunatic but am now thinking I need to get a Gait Analysis.

Ive been told to get Vibram Fivefingers by somebody who likes there running but would like to know what is best?

That is some really bad advice for someone starting out who has sore shins. Try amphibian king for analysis and a decent range of shoes. You'll likely need something with a bit of cushioning, eg Nike Lunarglide/pegasus, asics nimbus or mizuno wave rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

If you're in the area, Asics are doing foot mapping and gait analysis in Elvery's on Suffolk St tomorrow from 4-8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I could be wrong but I think these are effectively barefoot running shoes which have little or no support or cushioning. It's unlikely you would be able to do any distance at all in them for quite a while. I think they're basically like a rubber glove for your foot and aren't much thicker.

Google them to see what they look like, you might get a shock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

i picked up a pair of zoot running shoes a few days ago, they have made a big difference as i was sufferin with splints as well..would recommend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hi Folks,

I recently had to get new running shoes because my old ones lead to sore shins if I went 4/5 times in a week. Went to Elverys and ran on the treadmill so they told me I over-prolongated or something like that. Got a pair with extra padding on the inner foot side. Now I am running 5/6 times per week and absolutely no bother to my shins; if anything it feels like a cushion on my foot! They showed me what runners would be good for me and I picked these http://www.puma.com/running/products/complete-itana not that your problem will be the same as mine but apparently it's the most common problem for people who run. My distance to run is 7-10k and it's all on concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

I used reebok and ASIC running shoes when trainng for ang running a maathon and found both very good. Bit mord support in reeboks, asics were a bit more flexible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

from here
    Don't buy some runners because a friend wears them and says they're good. There is no right pair of runners for everyone. The right pair for you depends on
    - the shape of your foot
    - your gait
    - the amount of miles you intend to run in them
    - your weight
    - the conditions you'll run in

Go to a shop where you can get expert advice, not some random tracksuits-and-runners shop. Gait analysis is a useful tool, but the main thing is that the staff in the shop know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Right so folks thanks for all the advice, went to amphibian king in ballymount. Great setup/service, tried on 4 or 5 diff pairs of runners after the gait analysis and finally settle in a pair if Brooks. They show you how u run in each pair and also get ur feedback on how they feel. I've a shocking run but the diff the pair they sold me made to my run last nite was immense!! Can't recommend this place enough, the dude said if they don't fix/help the problem bring em back and we'll try again!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nice, good result

Advertisement