Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

An extraordinary case alright.
    Poor kid. It really shows what a weird world we all live in no matter what way you look at it.
    and i agree with you,shame the parents didnt hold thier hands
    up an said,we made a mistake.that to me is thier downfall
    an will always be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The only think the McCanns could be blamed for is for recklessly leaving their young children in an apartment unattended while they went out. Other than that, to suggest that they planned their child's abduction in some way is downright absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

deco nate wrote: »
    and i agree with you,shame the parents didnt hold thier hands
    up an said,we made a mistake.that to me is thier downfall
    an will always be.
    ah so,ninja edit...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Monfoolio wrote: »
    I never believed him to be honest, he comes across very "cold". That story always sticks in my mind, something else going on there

To be perfectly honest he comes across as a sociopath to me. She strikes me as being under his spell/afraid of him.

Again - does anyone have links tot he early appeal videos that they did. I've only been able to find ones a bit after the fact. I'd like to see them whe the whole thing had just happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The only think the McCanns could be blamed for is for recklessly leaving their young children in an apartment unattended while they went out. Other than that, to suggest that they planned their child's abduction in some way is downright absurd.

planned their childs abduction?

no, the suggestion is that they faked it.

absurd? do you think the world is all roses and rainbows? there are so many fuc*ed up people out there, whose actions are not understandable to the 'saner' 'normal' 'reasoned' people in the world.

have you read the links posted in the OP??

have you read the book by the former head of the case, the book the mccann's managed to block for a while. He concluded, translated:

"Conclusions
    "Madeleine died in the6 apartment 5 A on the 3rd of May of 2007
    A simulation of kidnapping took place
    Kate and Gerry are suspected of corpse's occultation [hiding the cadaver]
    The death might have happened as a result of an accident
    There are signs of negligence in the safe keeping and security of the children"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

laura. wrote: »
    I'd be the first to laugh if it was slightly funny bertser, it's the context in which it was said...Not Funny..

And i am very capable of taking a joke, thanks for your concern on my sense of humour

The word Dick, was capitalised, implying it is a name. If you thought it was something else, well......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irranek

I am pretty amazed by the huge inconsistencies in witness statements and the supposed order of events.

I am astounded by the evidence of the cadaver dogs considering these are highly trained animals with a high success rate in identifying actual human cadaver scents (and not rotting meat as claimed by the McCanns) and having identified scents in the apartment and their rental car?

It's just really fishy, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I'm far from mundane, but judge how you see fit.

Nobody said this 'type of parenting' was acceptable. However, you can't ascribe a 'type of parenting' to one incident alone. By all accounts, they were very good parents who, along with other parents that night, left their kids alone in a holiday apartment 120 yards from where they were having dinner, checking on them every 15 minutes, never imagining they would be abducted virtually from under their noses.

The piousness of people who claim never to have left their kids alone for any length of time whilst they had a few glasses of wine or ate dinner is beyond a joke. I gave examples earlier of other abduction cases, in which all cases involved the absence of a parental figure in some form, none of which people seem to comprehend.

I'll repeat that quoting Laura's posts over some other much more offensive posts is biased in the extreme.

ive never gone to dinner and left my kids on their own especially not when they were 3.your talking out through your arse.
    3 years of age on her own in an apartment.forget about abduction.look at all the possibilities.lets turn the bath on, she drowns.lets turn the oven on, she burns to death.lets walk outside and she gets hit by a car.you dont leave a 3 yr old on their own like that END OF

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

crazygeryy wrote: »
    ive never gone to dinner and left my kids on their own especially not when they were 3.your talking out through your arse.
    3 years of age on her own in an apartment.forget about abduction.look at all the possibilities.lets turn the bath on, she drowns.lets turn the oven on, she burns to death.lets walk outside and she gets hit by a car.you dont leave a 3 yr old on their own like that END OF

I see your point and would never do what they did. But, to this day when I arrive at an airport for my summer hols I see the vast majority of Irish families with smallies, waiting for their buggies while some of the other nationalities carry/lift their tired kids.
    When I'm at the apartment complex I notice families at the restaurant in the evening time. Some of the families have their smallies with them ( asleep in the buggies ) - mostly Irish to be honest - I've often wondered where the smallies of the other families were. They were at the pool by day! It is still 'normal practise' for some, to leave the 'calpol' kids asleep in their beds and check on them from time to time, it still happens.

Some people leave their common sense at home when they go on holidays and some people should not have any kids! Unfortunately, sometines, both of these apply to the same people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Don't know how old everyone is on here, but did anybody ever go to holiday camps when they were kids? Parents would go off out to the nights entertainment and leave the children alone in the chalets. An employee would walk around the chalets, and if a child was crying, a sign would flash up in the entertainment section "child crying in chalet 16" or whatever. I know that times have changed, but children have been abducted from the beginning of time, so keeping children safe surely has always been the same?

I don't know what happened to Madelaine, just as I don't know what happened to Ben Needham, another little blonde child that was lost on holiday. The McCanns were very, very wrong to go out and leave their children unattended, but they weren't the first, and unfortunately they most certainly won't be the last to do it.

That video of the cadaver dog, why has it got The Sun's logo on it? I'm guessing this isn't an official police dog thats being used? It is a video shot by a tabloid newspaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

The one part i find very strange or hard to understand is that Kate discovered Madeleine gone...(I re-read her account this morning to make sure), looked all over the apartment and realised she had been abducted. So she returned to the restaurant to alert her husband and friends..she did admit she was in a panic (obviously)
    But what i don't understand is that if she was so sure Madeleine had been kidnapped why on earth would she leave her other 2 children alone? Wouldnt it just be your instinct to protect those two if you thought there was a man/men (woman who knows) in the apartment. :confused:

They were 1 at the time so im sure any mother of twins would be able to carry them especially in such an emergency.

I just find that part a bit strange.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

All the publicity seems to have bitten the McCanns in the ass, according to this thread.

Whereas before, people may have been sympathetic, it now seems more and more people are starting to seriously believe they themselves had something to do with her disappearance.

It's a real shame that perhaps the more they promote this book, the less empathy they will envoke from a previously sympathetic public.

I hope there is a conclusion to this sad story at some stage in the future and that Madeline is found. Until then, it seems, more and more people will unfortunately start to point the accusatory finger at the family themselves.
    I can't imagine how painful it must be to have to prove your innocence to others when you know you're innocent, yet everyone else believes you're guilty (such as with the Chamberlains). That must be an extra piece of hell to have to deal with.

Sorry, but I do feel incredibly sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I have always felt sorry for the McCanns, but having read a lot on the internet this morning, there certainly do seem to be a lot of unanswered questions out there.

http://www.madeleinefoundation.org.uk/163%20Questions%20that%20the%20McCanns%20should%20answer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

why have the social services and the the police not take action on the Mr and Mrs Mc Cann on child abandonment, negelect on their own behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

C81 wrote: »
    why have the social services and the the police not take action on the Mr and Mrs Mc Cann on child abandonment, negelect on their own behalf?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6740315.stm

Wishy washy reasons from social services for not investigating them. As has been said earlier in the thread if they were a pair of wino's or junkies they'd be crucified by the press. But they're white upper middle class doctors, so for some reason officialdom is unwilling to apply the same standards to them.

Animord wrote: »
    I have always felt sorry for the McCanns, but having read a lot on the internet this morning, there certainly do seem to be a lot of unanswered questions out there.

http://www.madeleinefoundation.org.uk/163%20Questions%20that%20the%20McCanns%20should%20answer.html

Honestly - most of those questions are pretty pointless in the scheme of things. People do and say things that aren't always entirely consistent whilst in a state of shock.
    Teddy bears? Pronunciation of a name? Giving Calpol to a 3 year old at home or not?? Allowing friends to enter your apartment to comfort you after such a horriffic incident, instead of preserving the scene?? None of this mundane silliness should lead anyone to believe the worst of someone.

Also, different people will have different takes on what happened during any incident. It's called the 'Roshomon effect'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon_effect

I'd be way more suspicious if they all had the same story down pat, tbh.

I see absolutely no reason why the McCanns would continue to keep up the very public pretence of searching for their daughter and keeping themselves in the limelight, if they were guilty of their daughter's murder.
    Surely, they would be relieved to have been cleared of any wrongdoing and go quietly to get on with their lives and raise their children out of the spotlight?

Sorry, I just don't buy it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well oj kept in the publice eye in america after being found innocent then wrote several books on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

How did they smuggle a dead child out of the apartment in a holiday destination? Throw the body into a black sack and into the boot? How did anyone not see them?

Man carries suitcase in holiday resort SHOCKER!! :D

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well oj kept in the publice eye in america after being found innocent then wrote several books on the subject.

O.J was tried and cleared for murder in a criminal court by a jury of his peers. The Double Jeopardy law meant he could effectively shout his guilt from the rooftops if he so wished, without fear of being prosecuted for it.

The McCanns are innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. If indeed they are guilty of murder, they are playing a very stupid and dangerous game. It would also make them sociopaths of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If indeed they are guilty of murder, they are playing a very stupid and dangerous game. It would also make them sociopaths of the highest order.

I have to agree with this. If they caused or allowed some harm to come to her, why would they still be at this public charade 4 years later? It's strange. And indeed would mean that they are monsters.
    It's not impossible though. I'm conflicted because there is little evidence of a break in, little physical evidence anyhow. I don't think we'll ever find out what actually happened to Madeline. I just hope the poor thing didn't suffer too much.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. If they caused or allowed some harm to come to her, why would they still be at this public charade 4 years later? It's strange. And indeed would mean that they are monsters.
    It's not impossible though. I'm conflicted because there is little evidence of a break in, little physical evidence anyhow. I don't think we'll ever find out what actually happened to Madeline. I just hope the poor thing didn't suffer too much.

At least we can agree on that much.

Whatever the faults of the parents (I do believe they are innocent of murder or collusion), I suspect we will never know what happened to that poor little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

O.J was tried and cleared for murder in a criminal court by a jury of his peers. The Double Jeopardy law meant he could effectively shout his guilt from the rooftops if he so wished, without fear of being prosecuted for it.

The McCanns are innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. If indeed they are guilty of murder, they are playing a very stupid and dangerous game. It would also make them sociopaths of the highest order.

True it would but that doesnt mean it isnt trueand they arent sociaopaths we dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How many people on holiday in a foreign country (don't know how often they'd been there before) would know where to take a body to dispose of it so completely that it has never been found?

If (and that is a big if) the child had died in an accident the day before, they really would be the coldest, most sociopathic people in the world if they could keep their cool and find somewhere to bury her in a place that they didn't know that well. Four years later, her body hasn't been found, with an area the size that they could have got to in the time frame, how is that possible?

I fostered children in London for 10 years, for social services to take a child into care, even from junkies or alcoholics, takes a lot, you would not believe the things that children have to go through before anyone acts. There were also some children from middle class families in care:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

ISDW wrote: »
    How many people on holiday in a foreign country (don't know how often they'd been there before) would know where to take a body to dispose of it so completely that it has never been found?

If (and that is a big if) the child had died in an accident the day before, they really would be the coldest, most sociopathic people in the world if they could keep their cool and find somewhere to bury her in a place that they didn't know that well. Four years later, her body hasn't been found, with an area the size that they could have got to in the time frame, how is that possible?

I fostered children in London for 10 years, for social services to take a child into care, even from junkies or alcoholics, takes a lot, you would not believe the things that children have to go through before anyone acts. There were also some children from middle class families in care:eek:
    They ate the child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

I'm getting tired of repeating my points, but I'll do it one more time.....

Linbergh baby - abducted from his cot whilst his parents slept.

Azaria Chamberlain - taken from a tent whilst her parents were yards away eating barbeque

Jamie Bulger - abducted from outside the butchers shop where his mum was buying dinner

Sarah Payne - abducted from the field next to her grandparents house

So, yes, being near/ keeping an eye on your kids doesn't stop them from being abducted is exactly what I'm saying.

Get it now?

Hi DC,

I suggest you have a look at the statements of the former friends of the McCanns:

http://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net/t8884-the-gaspar-statements-re-david-payne

and here: http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.com/

where Inspector Tavares Almeida states:
    "Kate McCann and Gerald McCann are involved in the concealment of the cadaver of their daughter, Madeleine McCann"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I wish gerry & kate would fkin disappear sick of hearing about this god dam thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Thats acutally one of the most absurb things ive heard from someone all year! :rolleyes: Get a grip mate!

From someone who posts the sort of sentiment you do, I will take that as an absurb compliment.
    !MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Would they just stop annoying the general consensus of Europe about their sob story

Link please to your assertion that they are annoying the general consensus (whatever that is) of Europe about their sob story and not just some of the AH population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

CK2010 wrote: »
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    You're attempting to absolve them of blame, when in this case they deserve no such absolution.

barr a couple, most of the posts on here are because people have more respect for the child than the parents seemed to have when they left her alone to enjoy a night out drinking.

They left Madeleine and her twin siblings (under 2 years old) ALONE, EVERY night of the holiday. A neighbour in the above apartment, a Mrs. Fenn said in her statement to the police that she heard Madeleine crying on the Tuesday night from 10.30pm until 11.45pm. The McCanns themselves admitted this when the police statement was leaked in 2008. Yet they still left the 3 toddlers alone on the nights of May 2nd and May 3rd.

http://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net/t13654-the-crying-heard-by-mrs-fenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Where did they leave the twins when they met the Pope?! In the same town that their daughter was 'kidnapped' from, they figured the twins would be safe enough...I dunno but if I had a daughter and she was kidnapped I certainly wouldn't leave my other two children in a town with a kidnapper on the loose...very strange if you ask me.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

From day one I believed they were 100% responsible for her disappearance, though the longer they go on about I am less convinced. I could fully understand them coming out and being public at the start as a great way to "hide in plain sight" or deflect attention. I never thought the crime was committed in order to make money, even now I still don't think it is an effort to cash in (though I'm sure it isn't hurting). What did irk me was the body language during interviews, the little bits of information that were coming out (blood) and their acts after the initial few weeks (swanning around without their kids). To think they are guilty because they act "cold" or because people think they shouldn't of had the capacity to act rational (not breaking down in tears) is a bit silly, but when you put everything together is doesn't half look dodgy. There was a bit on a Charlie Brooker's Wipe programme where he talked about this 3 British guys who were guilty of big fraud in America and they were looking to extradite them. The 3 guys hired a PR firm and they span the media that these poor guys were being victimised by big bad America. In the end they were made to look like heroes. While I was watching it I felt this has shades of the McCann's all over this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement