Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

That's one way of putting it. The truth is that, at least on the basis of the police report, she would not agree to such an interview.

You clearly think there are no unanswered questions about the case, and are probably the Late Late Show's target audience.

I don't watch The Late Late Show, actually. Have seen it about half a dozen times in my entire life.

Of course, there are unanswered questions relating to the case, seeing as it remains unsolved and all.
    I just don't think being grilled about her possible involvement in the disappearance of her daughter on a prime time chat show is appropriate.

She has been investigated by the police and they can't find any evidence on which to charge her, so how do you think Ryan Tubridy would do any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mconigol wrote: »
    "Madeleine's mother, who was legally represented in the interview, stayed silent as police threw a series of loaded questions at her that made clear they thought she was involved in her daughter's disappearance."

What would you do if you were being questioned in such a manner. Try to answer a load of questions when the intention of the interviewer is to tie you up in knots. She could have just as easily not been answering the questions in order to try prevent the focus of the investigation turning on her rather than the real abductor.

I and most people would answer any questions that were put to me, a child's life was at stake. If you've nothing to hide you won't get tied up in knots. The questions can't be loaded if you're innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

She has been investigated by the police and they can't find any evidence on which to charge her, so how do you think Ryan Tubridy would do any better?

He wouldn't, because he is totally incapable of interviewing anyone.

I agree that trial by media is not a good thing, but the point here is that people outside the mainstream media are raising questions that have not been addressed by the McCanns.

"What do you say to people who wonder about x, y, and z?" can and should be part of a fair interview.

I've an open mind about the whole thing and it will remain that way until I see some concrete evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I didn't know that cadaver dogs found a scent on the McCann's car, that's pretty fúcking damning tbh!!

It's hard not to think the worst just based on that one fact alone.

I agree that trial by media is not a good thing, but the point here is that people outside the mainstream media are raising questions that have not been addressed by the McCanns.

"What do you say to people who wonder about x, y, and z?" can and should be part of a fair interview.

Even if she did answer those type of questions on national television, you would still have people believing she was guilty.

She probably knows very well that line of questioning does nothing to help Madeline's cause, so why would she be interested in answering those questions on TV? She is there to raise awareness, not vindicate herself.

I honestly don't think there are any answers she could give to appease those who believe she killed her own daughter. People will believe what they like, regardless of anything she may or may not say on a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I honestly don't think there are any answers she could give to appease those who believe she killed her own daughter. People will believe what they like, regardless of anything she may or may not say on a TV show.
    Yeah, some people want her to be guilty - they're that in need of drama. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to question some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I didn't know that cadaver dogs found a scent on the McCann's car, that's pretty fúcking damning tbh!!

It's hard not to think the worst just based on that one fact alone.

The McCann's hire car, that had been used by how many other people I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ISDW wrote: »
    The McCann's hire car, that had been used by how many other people I wonder?
    You're right, people always transport dead bodies in cars in Portugal. It's just a massive coincidence that there was a dead body in a car hired out by a couple who's child had mysteriously gone missing without a trace.

Even if she did answer those type of questions on national television, you would still have people believing she was guilty.

She probably knows very well that line of questioning does nothing to help Madeline's cause, so why would she be interested in answering those questions on TV? She is there to raise awareness, not vindicate herself.

Up to a point, DC.

A frank interview would be of interest to those of us that are after the truth, rather than the line of hired PR executives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

If the parents actually had something to do with it, surely they would not be still promoting it every chance they got.

I imagine having to live with the guilt of not knowing what happened to your own child because of your own blatant negligence is punishment enough.

Anything could have happened/still be happening to that poor little girl - and they have to live with that forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I cannot for the life of me understand why rte agreed to this. There are thousands of children that go missing everyday and get no exposure whatsoever.

I wish these people would stop wasting time promoting books and spend more time actually looking for Madelene.

I cannot for the life of me understand why rte agreed to this. There are thousands of children that go missing everyday and get no exposure whatsoever.
    Yeah, but their families don't have the means to highlight it, the McCanns do - I'm not saying that's fair or right, it isn't by a long shot, but I don't think that's reason enough for the McCanns not to do it, or for media outlets not to agree to act as platforms for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The only thing I can think of to say is there must be a lot of perfect parents who have never made a mistake on Boards at the moment.

The McCanns have been through every parent's worst nightmare and I'm sure they've spent the last four years blaming themselves . They don't all the self righteous know-it-all bull that's been levelled at them from day one.

Show me any parent who gets right 100% of the time and I'll show you a liar. Even the best parents make mistakes, they're only human after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, some people want her to be guilty - they're that in need of drama.

I know this will sound strange, but would it not be better for them to have murdered her than some random crazy person, in some way? Think about it, they are highly unlikey to do it again (if they did do it), whereas some loon could be still out there ready to strike again.

Up to a point, DC.

A frank interview would be of interest to those of us that are after the truth, rather than the line of hired PR executives.

She has told the truth - what else would you like her to answer?

If you suspect she is lying about her involvement in madeline's disappearance, I don't think any information she would impart on a TV show, would convince you otherwise, in fairness.

I'm sure they've spent the last four years blaming themselves.

From the interviews I've seen, they have done no such thing - but happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Even the best parents make mistakes, they're only human after all.

There is a difference between making a mistake and doing something boarderline criminal. If they left a loaded gun lying around would that count as a "mistake" in your eyes too?

If you suspect she is lying about her involvement in madeline's disappearance, I don't think any information she would impart on a TV show, would convince you otherwise, in fairness.

As I say, I have an open mind, and it's a bit unfair of you to insinuate otherwise.

There are indeed questions I would like to put to her & Gerry, but let's not go into that. My gripe is really with the media.

The only thing I can think of to say is there must be a lot of perfect parents who have never made a mistake on Boards at the moment.

Show me any parent who gets right 100% of the time and I'll show you a liar. Even the best parents make mistakes, they're only human after all.
    I fully agree - plenty of the know-alls on Boards re parenting aren't even parents. But I don't think there's anything wrong with being critical of the McCanns not hiring a babysitter - that's much more than a mistake or accident which of course befalls every parent from time to time. It's impossible for it not to. But the McCanns made a risky decision - one that could have had a number of consequences. Not even something as serious as what happened, but e.g. one of the children being ill, having an accident, crying hysterically for their parents. Of course the McCanns are paying for it disproportionately now though, and people are being despicable re them, but that doesn't minimise how irresponsible they were - even if Madeleine hadn't disappeared.

And if the McCanns were uneducated, not earning much and living in a council estate, they would be crucified for not arranging supervision for the children. Even if they came across as good people, they'd still be deemed scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Even the best parents make mistakes, they're only human after all.

And so are their children....

• Advertisement

From the interviews I've seen, they have done no such thing - but happy to be corrected.

Unless you can read Gerry and Kate's minds you nor I have no idea what they're thinking for sure but everytime I look at Kate my first thought is that poor woman looks like she's been through hell and she has imo.

If it were me I'd never forgive myself.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    There is a difference between making a mistake and doing something boarderline criminal. If they left a loaded gun lying around would that count as a "mistake" in your eyes too?

True but having a few drinks with friends whilst regularly checking on your children hardly seems criminal or even neglectful to me tbh.
    Dudess wrote: »
    I fully agree - plenty of the know-alls re parenting on Boards aren't even parents. But I don't think there's anything wrong with being critical of the McCanns not hiring a babysitter - that's much more than a mistake or accident which of course befalls every parent from time to time. It's impossible for it not to. But the McCanns made a risky decision. Of course they're paying for it disproportionately now though, and people are being despicable re them, but it doesn't minimise how irresponsible they were - even if Madeleine didn't disappear.

Why not? I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my kids with a total stranger in a foreign country myself. And whats to say the babysitter could have stopped it either? The kidnapper(s) could have subdued him/her in some way could they not? Maybe hit them over the head with something?

Folks their little girl has been taken from them, they are being punished enough. You all need to lay off them. It's cruel and needless.

mikom wrote: »
    And so are their children....

And so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You're right, people always transport dead bodies in cars in Portugal. It's just a massive coincidence that there was a dead body in a car hired out by a couple who's child had mysteriously gone missing without a trace.

I didn't watch all of that video, I turned it off after a short while, what with The Sun's logo in the corner, and the guy's English accent, and talking to camera, I'm not sure how much relevance it has. If this was a video of the Portugese police doing a search, then fair enough, but what exactly does it show? Who is the person with the dog? Who is filming it? The Sun would never lie would it, no chance at all that it would set something up is there? Bastion of truth and respectability.

Where did that video come from?

I thought that the implication was that the body had been transported in the boot, if thats the case, why did the dog go to the driver's door?

Unless you can read Gerry and Kate's minds you nor I have no idea what they're thinking for sure...

True. But we can read their statements to the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And so?

And so many parents are more careful of their Iphone or Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses than their children.
    I've seen many parents check their phone more often than their children.
    I wonder how many times the MCcanns checked their phones that night.

And so many parents are more careful of their Iphone or Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses than their children.

I don't know about phones but I do they checked their children every thirty minutes that night.

What evidence do you have that the McCanns didn't love and adore their children, they wouldn't have done everything they could to protect them if they thought they were in danger?

Their child was stolen from them - do you not think that family have paid enough of a price for their error in judgement that night?

Sticking the knife in really doesn't achieve much, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 msdemena

When this story first hit the headlines I had nothing but sympathy for the McCanns but as the story unfolded I couldn't understand how two supposedly inteligent educated people could come to a decision to leave three small kids unattended while they wined and dined on a nightly basis so anyone watching them would have known the kids were alone. The place where they were staying had a babysitting service which they could well afford to pay for, why did one of them not insist on getting a sitter? I really believe if it had of been somebody from a disadvantaged background who maybe would not have known any better and couldn't really afford to pay for a sitter would of been crucified.
    And when I seen the McCanns being interviewed and being asked if it was a bad decision leaving the kids alone he said very emphatically NO.
    If my partner suggested leaving small children unsupervised I wouldn't let it happen and I'm an uneducated gob****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

ISDW wrote: »
    I didn't watch all of that video, I turned it off after a short while, what with The Sun's logo in the corner, and the guy's English accent, and talking to camera, I'm not sure how much relevance it has. If this was a video of the Portugese police doing a search, then fair enough, but what exactly does it show? Who is the person with the dog? Who is filming it? The Sun would never lie would it, no chance at all that it would set something up is there? Bastion of truth and respectability.

Where did that video come from?

I thought that the implication was that the body had been transported in the boot, if thats the case, why did the dog go to the driver's door?

The person in the video is someone called Martin Grime, an English Dog handler who the Portuguese police called in on the advice of the British police. (apparently)

• Advertisement

I don't know about phones but I do they checked their children every thirty minutes that night.

According to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement