Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Okay, last post was a bit off (personal, and trying to be funny. FAIL).

What conclusions ? you mean, the conclusion that there is no evidence to charge the parents, and the case should be closed... right ?

No, I meant that they had arrived at a point where there was insufficient evidence to bring it to the DPP. I would explain the difference, only I would be accused of being offensive...right? Or ...wrong? Or do you know ..... the difference?

Great to have your expertise on this. :rolleyes:

what do you mean, do gloves leave marks ?

Yes, gloves do, but more importantly, in this case they distort fingerprints.So i will dispense with the roll-eyes emoticon.

How much of what "they" think do you know ? How did you get to know it ? How much of Leicestershire police's "opinion" do we know ? Can I have a link to Leicestershire Police's conclusions please ?

I thought they were freely available. They came to the conclusion that Madeleine died in the apartment, and the cadaver was disposed of. The Portuguese police came to the same conclusion. I am not saying they are right, but are you now actually disputing what they said?!

That's a cheap and easy dig.

Just like I, for example, suspect corruption and possible planting of evidence by PJ in this case, you choose to ignore that Goncalo Amaral has been convicted of tampering with evidence previously, and accept his word as Gospel.

His conviction is not rumour, it's official. For falsifying reports/evidence.
    Surely any impartial observer would take that into account.

I would most certainly take that into account. I would view his personal testimony with the same scepticism as I would view the McCanns' testimony.

What has that got to do with the dogs' evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I think the scent of death was picked up on the cuddlecat toy, wasn't it? This is despite Kate washing it? Sounds to me like Kate initially kept the toy with Madeleine's body and then washed it after panicking that the scent may be on it. Does anyone actually believe that kate took her child's stuffed toy to work with her and had it around dead bodies? :rolleyes:

Do we know what clothes of kate's the dogs picked the cadavar scent up on? Were they clothes she was wearing on May 2/3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I believe that madeleine died in the apartment, I believe her body was kept in the apartment until a point when it could be removed (hence the cadavar smell). I think it was Gerry that disposed of her little body (am not too familiar with talk of a missing sports bag, but if that is the case then I belive that is how she was moved).

I think that Madeleine was disposed of at sea. There was some comment years ago of (I think) Gerry saying find the body and prove we did it. He knows a body will never be found.

I believe Kate screaming 'they've taken her' was a botched job that was pre-planned to get the abduction snowball rolling. Why would anyone start ringing home etc when the initial reaction would be she has just wandered out of the apartment after waking up? Why would they not check that she hadn't wandered into a neighbour's place for comfort on not finding her parents there when she woke up.

This to me is by far the most plausible scenario.

But can I prove it? No more than anyone can prove a boogie man kidnapped her.

Just my thoughts...
    But you omit to explain the most troubling part of this scenario. That is that the McCanns were capable of sitting through a social evening and completely disguising their anguish at the death of their daughter. That for me is an absolutely enormous ask. If you were to allege that they were both psychopaths and deliberately murdered their daughter (and that’s a fairly big ask too!) then I might believe that they could show the astonishing coolness (and coldness) that they would have shown. As it is, this ludicrous idea is only being peddled to allow one version of how the McCanns might have been involved to work.
    It is far more preposterous than the intruder through the window scenario (though neither are impossible). Surely when any theory of how something might have happened involves a serious implausibility, then a sensible course of action it to modify the scenario or even offer a different one?
    TheZohan wrote: »
    As it stands the accidental death story is more credible than the abduction theory.

Obviously that is a matter of opinion. Whatever scenario happened to be true requires some curious things to be explained. And nobody siding against the McCanns can offer a credible account of how the McCanns were able to (temporally!) assume the persona of the coldness of cold psychopaths.

Why did the Police not want a televised reconstruction? Surely the whole point of a reconstruction is to find any potential new witnesses?

I would agree with this. If there are reasons why the re-construction can't be done publicly (which I am sure there are, legal (might damage the case against the McCanns), logistical (makes it less honest a reconstruction), etc.).

There is no valid reason IMO why the PJ can't explain publicly why it has to be done privately.

Just my opinion.

I have now managed to alienate every poster in this thread, which takes some doing, in a thread with 3,500 posts.

Wouldn't it be great though if she just showed up, no worse for wear, having been looked after by someone who just wanted a child of their own. And just headed off.

I know I'm a hopeless optimist, but stranger things have happened.

Don't make me link to a gingerbread house where the owner wasn't wicked.

I know it sounds weird, but we had a family pet whose owner we couldn't trace, so he just stayed with us.

Please don't kick me senseless for comparing a little girl to a pup, I was just trying to put a possible upspin on it. Maybe she's alive and loved.

I know it's highly unlikely, but I believe in Jesus Christ and that's highly unlikely too.

Choco

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

IWouldn't it be great though if she just showed up, no worse for wear, having been looked after by someone who just wanted a child of their own. And just headed off.

I know I'm a hopeless optimist, but stranger things have happened.

Don't make me link to a gingerbread house where the owner wasn't wicked.

I know it sounds weird, but we had a family pet whose owner we couldn't trace, so he just stayed with us.

Please don't kick me senseless for comparing a little girl to a pup, I was just trying to put a possible upspin on it. Maybe she's alive and loved.

I know it's highly unlikely, but I believe in Jesus Christ and that's highly unlikely too.

Choco
    Is not beyond the realms of credibility ,It happened here in Dublin in 1950

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/features/the-dublin-child-taken-by-belfast-baby-snatcher-14838578.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Wow - that's an incredible story!

Wow - that's an incredible story!
    I remember seeing a documentary on the story ,the little girl was rescued from a fairly well to do family in Belfast and went back to( I think) Ballyfermot to a working class area .She found it incredibly difficult , the accents , the area , the family , the culture was alien to the little child . I think she struggled for a very long time .Bless her .

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be fair, very few said the McCanns killed their child. My own take, as I have said a number of times, is that if there was not an abduction then the child may have died in some kind of freak accident and the parent's in a state of panic did something stupid and have been covering that up ever since.

The friends may not be in on the accident, if there was one, and may just be guilty of making statements based on what the McCann claimed happened.

This theory is certainly more plausible than the the overdose scenario to me.

I certainly don't think any group of people (such as the McCann's friends)would willingly cover up a child's death knowingly and put themselves in the firing line (not to mention the utter immorality of it) if they themselves had no hand or part in that child's death.

As a parent, the biggest obstacle for me in believeing in the McCanns guilt is their manner and demeanour during a time after which they supposedly found their daughter dead.
    Which sane parent, in their right minds, would discover their child's dead body and instead of calling for an ambulance, concoct such a cold and calculating false scenario and then just somehow dispose of her little body as if it were yesterday's rubbish, without anyone discovering it in the meantime? Would any parent in such a state of shock and grief be able to do such a thing?
    If she died accidentally, they would have been much less culpable for that, than the crime they then supposedly proceeded with?

Why continue keeping the case in the headlines? Why not just go home and be relieved you got away with it?

Sorry for all the questions :o but these are the same questions which really lead me to the belief that they are more likely to be innocent than guilty in this case. The thought that any parent could conceivably do this to their child and simply carry on regardless, just beggars belief.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I remember seeing a documentary on the story ,the little girl was rescued from a fairly well to do family in Belfast and went back to( I think) Ballyfermot to a working class area .She found it incredibly difficult , the accents , the area , the family , the culture was alien to the little child . I think she struggled for a very long time .Bless her .

Poor little thing. :(

I remember watching The Changeling there a while back about Christine Collins and the search for her son (talk about a police cover up there..!!) and one of the missing boys did eventually turn up a few years later after escaping from his abductor. A terribly sad story.

Also, look at the Kasey Lee Dugard story.

There are some very bad people in the world....

ISDW wrote: »
    Can I ask what people think the point of a reconstruction is?

I would see it as a way of jogging people's memories that were in the vicinity on the night in question, I think thats usually why they are done.

It helps the police to form an opinion of what went on. It saves them from having to marry nine disparate statements, from nine people in nine different scenarios. It helps the police to get an idea of what went/ was going on.

It's not rocket science. The Question is, "Would you be interested in helping us to try to locate that lost child? If we could ascertain where everybody was at every moment, it would give us a clearer picture.
    Would anyone be interested in helping us in that way?"

"Anyone ?, A child's life is at stake. Not one out of the nine of ye?"

"We have a pact of silence"

There are only nine people who can answer those simple questions.

I presume that is why you hire top legal advice, top PR advice, and sh1t detectives.

"Prove that we killed her"

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be fair, very few said the McCanns killed their child. My own take, as I have said a number of times, is that if there was not an abduction then the child may have died in some kind of freak accident and the parent's in a state of panic did something stupid and have been covering that up ever since.
    The friends may not be in on the accident, if there was one, and may just be guilty of making statements based on what the McCann claimed happened.
    I think if there was an accident then it possibly happened with Madeleine wandered out of the apartment and with the McCanns or their friends subsequently discovering and concealing the body after raising the alarm.
    I still think this is less plausible than an abduction, but it at least gets around some of the bigger problems with the more favoured scenario.

It doesn’t require that daft suggestion that the McCanns partied despite their daughter being dead. It could also give a better explanation as to why the friends might have agreed to a cover up (they may only have had seconds rather than minutes or hours to make such a decision) and the lack of time would also account for them being unable to contrive any kind of consistent story.

lugha wrote: »
    But you omit to explain the most troubling part of this scenario. That is that the McCanns were capable of sitting through a social evening and completely disguising their anguish at the death of their daughter. That for me is an absolutely enormous ask. If you were to allege that they were both psychopaths and deliberately murdered their daughter (and that’s a fairly big ask too!) then I might believe that they could show the astonishing coolness (and coldness) that they would have shown. As it is, this ludicrous idea is only being peddled to allow one version of how the McCanns might have been involved to work.
    It is far more preposterous than the intruder through the window scenario (though neither are impossible). Surely when any theory of how something might have happened involves a serious implausibility, then a sensible course of action it to modify the scenario or even offer a different one?

Obviously that is a matter of opinion. Whatever scenario happened to be true requires some curious things to be explained. And nobody siding against the McCanns can offer a credible account of how the McCanns were able to (temporally!) assume the persona of the coldness of cold psychopaths.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said they were psychopaths and I never said they murdered their daughter.

As was explained many many pages ago, people ARE capable of hiding anguish/grief under the most awful circumstances. Think of the stories of people that murder their spouses and then go on TV appealing for help to find some 'intruder' that never existed.

If madeleine had an accident as a result of an overdose or as a result of being left on her own and the parents believed they could well be held culpable (imagine the headlines 'Child chokes as parents wine and dine') can you not see why the parents may fabricate a story to save their own necks? After all, whatever they do they are not going to bring their little girl back to life. They face possible prison, being away from their other two children (and even if they did not get a jail sentence, would they be deemed unfit to look after the twins?), not to mention absolute outrage from parents the world over.

So they have a choice - hold it together for a couple of hours and raise the abduction alarm; or face up to what had actually happened and come clean.

You yourself have made many, many comments along the lines of 'we don't know how we would react in the situation' with regards to kate's washing the toy etc etc, so I don't see how you can claim that she and her husband did not fabricate a story and act OK to save their own necks.

It makes total sense to me that this is what could have happened and also explains why kate was so quick to jump to the abduction conclusion before even asking neighbours if she was there or presuming she was walking around the complex looking for her.

I believe it was totally staged for her to discover Madeleine missing and presumed abducted before any other scenarios could even get a look in.

ETA: I also find it all incredibly suss the way the McCanns refused to accept any theory other than the abduction theory. They did not even consider that Madeleine walked off - oh no, it was an intruder. You'd think they would have been open to ANY scenario. All they cared about is putting the blame on someone else and away from themselves.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said they were psychopaths and I never said they murdered their daughter.
    You might want to read my post again.
    As was explained many many pages ago, people ARE capable of hiding anguish/grief under the most awful circumstances. Think of the stories of people that murder their spouses and then go on TV appealing for help to find some 'intruder' that never existed.
    Yes they are capable of feigning anguish / grief. This is easy to do and what everybody is giving examples of. Feigning carefree happiness when your child is lying dead (and as you say, they are NOT murderers or psychopaths or whatever) is as close to impossible as makes no difference.

I find it very difficult to believe that anybody looking at this with anything close to an open mind would not immediately dismiss this suggestion as nonsense.

I will only consider that that might have happened when all the less implausible explanations have been ruled out. And TBH, alien abduction is probably a better bet that this. :)

ETA: I also find it all incredibly suss the way the McCanns refused to accept any theory other than the abduction theory.
    Why so? The only serious alternative to abduction is that they were involved. Is it really that incredible that they insist that they were not involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think it has been several pages since there was any discussion at all about the wrongs of the McCanns leaving their children alone. That aspect of the debate is not active. IMO, they, or a baby sitter, should have been close enough to hear their children if the woke from their sleep. So they were irresponsible, but personally I don’t agree with the mass view that this constituted gross negligence.

As to the facts, well perhaps those on the anti-McCann side could do what a prosecutor would do if a case ever actually came to trial, build an actual case. Not say things like, “there are over 100 pieces of evidence” or “the whole think stinks” or “this or that is very suspicious”. Actually offer a scenario of how the whole thing went down and cite what evidence supported that scenario. It need not (nor could not) be completely detailed, but even a broad outline would be a start.

The difficulty is that the most popular scenario requires that we invest in the McCanns the truly extraordinary capacity to exhibit the exceedingly rare in one, let alone two people, ultra psychopathic behaviour which would allow them to behave normally despite their daughter being dead. It is utterly implausible and anyone who isn’t completely biased should see that that quite simply is not what happened. It is far more implausible than the intruder though the window scenario and indeed, it is even less credible that the scenario that they actually ARE psychopaths who willingly murdered their daughter.

If we are going to permit that individuals be allowed extraordinary characteristics in order to make our preferred scenario work then can we not assume the intruder(s) through the window has some bizarre OCD based reason for taking the trouble to avoid leaving physical evidence? Or similarly with any police officer or journalist or witness who was close to the case.

Utterly daft of course and that is the stuff of conspiracy theories. Much more sensible to say that that scenario is simply not what happened and look for a better one.

I do concede that it is very possible, but IMO improbable, that the McCanns were involved (I notice in a post above once again, this silly suggestion that they might be innocent but not completely innocent!) but I would say, with almost total certainly, that it did not happen the way many people are saying.

PS Amusing that the TheZohan thanked this post, almost immediately after he throw out the silly “Team McCann” slur again. :pac:

:D

Nah, I just see the slur has gone from McCann haters to Conspiracy theorists.

As for covering it up, most people even posters who think they are completely innocent seem to think they did cover up the times on checking the children.

Thread is a bit silly at this stage, obviously there isn't enough evidence but as posters have continuously said the PJ and English police think the evidence suggests the McCann's as most likely, unpalatable and unimaginable as that is.

Again the big hole is where did they hide the body for 3 weeks with extensive searches and sniffer dog searches in that time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If you want to close your mind to the thoughts the McCanns had dinner while their daughter had died then fine. Your peregotive. I didn't get the impression they were partying either. They were eating dinner and drinking wine - it makes total sense they did this to protect their own negligent *rses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

I think if there was an accident then it possibly happened with Madeleine wandered out of the apartment and with the McCanns or their friends subsequently discovering and concealing the body after raising the alarm.
    I still think this is less plausible than an abduction, but it at least gets around some of the bigger problems with the more favoured scenario.

It doesn’t require that daft suggestion that the McCanns partied despite their daughter being dead. It could also give a better explanation as to why the friends might have agreed to a cover up (they may only have had seconds rather than minutes or hours to make such a decision) and the lack of time would also account for them being unable to contrive any kind of consistent story.

Things that to me suggest an abduction is the most implausible explanation:

The dogs. Yes, we have argued about dogs as evidence in a trial scenario, but the fact is they signalled a dead body in the apartment several times. Odds of all the filmed indications by the dogs being mistaken/contrived are astronomical.

Jane. What can we say about Invisible Jane. Not only invisible, but with colour night vision and a deep seated moral aversion to telling the parents of a missing child that they saw her been taken away in a certain direction just minutes before.
    The description of how 'he' held the child, is ludicrous. Try holding a live four year old that way yourself, how do you support the head? How do you hold that weight with your arms extended? You need the child's arm around your neck, and the child would therefore be awake and screaming.
    An abductor would use a car parked outside the window and not walk right past three witnesses in the direction of town.

The window. No reasonable explanation for the window and noisy shutters being opened when doors were unlocked. No marks on window sill or glove marks, only Kate's fingerprints.

The statements: Kate's words 'they've taken her', telling social worker Yvonne Martin 'a couple took her', Matt saying at the Tapas 'I'll check Maddie for you' not 'I'll check the kids', Gerry walking past the open back door to open the front door with a key, nobody checked their kids on any other night, the McCanns never checked anyone else's children ever, Pamela Fenn hears Madeleine crying for an hour and a half on a previous night, Gerry telling someone on the phone that night that 'Pedophiles took her', the 'smashed' and 'jemmied up' shutters, going against police strong cautions against disclosing her eye defect, David Payne telling social worker to get lost, mobile phone records being deleted, credit card details being withheld, I could go on.

All more consistent with staging than abduction.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2007/10/18/mccanns-evidence-doesn-t-add-up-115875-19969064/

K-9 wrote: »
    As for covering it up, most people even posters who think they are completely innocent seem to think they did cover up the times on checking the children.
    Fine. But this is unrelated to the big question. Were the involved in Madeleine's disappearance? (It is of course relevant to answering this question, but that is a different matter)
    Thread is a bit silly at this stage, obviously there isn't enough evidence but as posters have continuously said the PJ and English police think the evidence suggests the McCann's as most likely, unpalatable and unimaginable as that is.
    I'd settle for a plausible account of how accidental death might have happened. The account favoured by most simply does not fit well enough for me.
    And have the police offered an explanation of how the McCanns pulled of their astonishing temporary psycho trick? I suspect not. I would think it is the role of a court and jury to do this. But if they have offered an explanation I would love to hear it.

DexyDrain wrote: »

The dogs. Yes, we have argued about dogs as evidence in a trial scenario, but the fact is they signalled a dead body in the apartment several times. Odds of all the filmed indications by the dogs being mistaken/contrived are astronomical.

Jane. What can we say about Invisible Jane. Not only invisible, but with colour night vision and a deep seated moral aversion to telling the parents of a missing child that they saw her been taken away in a certain direction just minutes before.
    The description of how 'he' held the child, is ludicrous. Try holding a live four year old that way yourself, how do you support the head? How do you hold that weight with your arms extended? You need the child's arm around your neck, and the child would therefore be awake and screaming.
    An abductor would use a car parked outside the window and not walk right past three witnesses in the direction of town.

The window. No reasonable explanation for the window and noisy shutters being opened when doors were unlocked. No marks on window sill or glove marks, only Kate's fingerprints.

The statements: Kate's words 'they've taken her', telling social worker Yvonne Martin 'a couple took her', Matt saying at the Tapas 'I'll check Maddie for you' not 'I'll check the kids', Gerry walking past the open back door to open the front door with a key, nobody checked their kids on any other night, the McCanns never checked anyone else's children ever, Pamela Fenn hears Madeleine crying for an hour and a half on a previous night, Gerry telling someone on the phone that night that 'Pedophiles took her', the 'smashed' and 'jemmied up' shutters, going against police strong cautions against disclosing her eye defect, David Payne telling social worker to get lost, mobile phone records being deleted, credit card details being withheld, I could go on.

All more consistent with staging than abduction.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2007/10/18/mccanns-evidence-doesn-t-add-up-115875-19969064/

But yet, an alien abduction makes more sense.:rolleyes: Ridiculous.

Fine. But this is unrelated to the big question. Were the involved in Madeleine's disappearance? (It is of course relevant to answering this question, but that is a different matter)

I'd settle for a plausible account of how accidental death might have happened. The account favoured by most simply does not fit well enough for me.
    And have the police offered an explanation of how the McCanns pulled of their astonishing temporary psycho trick? I suspect not. I would think it is the role of a court and jury to do this. But if they have offered an explanation I would love to hear it.

Three children alone in a holiday apartment - choking, burning, falling off a sofa/bed and breaking neck. All VERY plausible scenarios for a three-year-old left on her own.

DexyDrain wrote: »
    What you have listed there are what you believe to be grounds for making a case against the McCanns.

I have argued before that much of what you have listed there doesn't really amount to anything (e.g. the "eye" defect for example) but lets leave that aside.

But why don't you do the next step and make the case against them? Not prove it, just state how it might have happened? The versions been offered so far have elements that any reasonable person could not accept (it is interesting that you, quite reasonably, dismiss the intruder through the window scenario on precisely these grounds). If you have a version that "works" then lets hear it.

• Advertisement

How is it unrelated? If the vast majority of posters accept that the Tapas 9 covered up and synchronised checking times it certainly isn't unrelated to suggest they may have covered up an accidental death to me.

The toddlers were home alone, doors were open, they had free run in the apartment. Do you know what toddlers are like and how accident prone they can be? It's very possible she fell of the couch, the PJ report did cover this. They also covered a likely scenario at the end so at this stage this has all been covered and posted and no harm to you, I'm not wasting my time looking for it again to post to be ignored.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:D

Nah, I just see the slur has gone from McCann haters to Conspiracy theorists.

Again the big hole is where did they hide the body for 3 weeks with extensive searches and sniffer dog searches in that time.

I don't think that hiding a body in a huge area where there are many nearby spots with little or no population numbers is that hard to be honest.

Take wherever you are right now on a map for example. Get a compass and place the point of the compass on where you are on that map. Then place the pencil/pen end five miles away and draw that circle. You now have a huge area in which to hide a body which will no doubt contain little stream or rivers where a body could be weighed down, and if you moved the body by car then there is no ground trace for a dog to follow.

Now do the same thing but incease the distance to ten miles and draw that circle. You now have a needle in a haystack scenario to find anything.

I chose five and ten miles as they are distances that could be covered pretty quickly in a car.

Another place where a body could have been hidden is in the church that they had keys to. Members of the public had no access to that church whilst the McCanns had the priest's keys and it was their own private sanctuary for that time. The priest being a Catholic priest would be unable to repeat what he was told if it was said during a formal religious confession, even if what is heard involves the death, accidental or deliberate. The Code of Canon Law prevents a priest from repeating anything heard in confession including anything of a criminal nature regardless of severity. All a priest can do is advise people to admit their actions to the authorities.

Now I am only using this answer as a response to your question about how a body could have been potentially hidden, but the dogs again surface with this answer as they signalled a scent at that very church and also on the rental car that the McCanns got after the child was reported missing, the very same car that was used at times to get to and from that church. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lets say that she had an accident and died (which is what I really hope happened, as I've said previously, as it means she's not suffering somewhere), it had to be on the night she disappeared as she was in the creche that day. They would have had to have hidden her body somewhere until they disposed of it, is that the general consensus?

Did the PJ search the apartment that night at any point?

ETA: Sorry, posted at the same time as Kess73 previous post.

Not to mention the vast ocean practically on the doorstep.

How is it unrelated? If the vast majority of posters accept that the Tapas 9 covered up and synchronised checking times it certainly isn't unrelated to suggest they may have covered up an accidental death to me.
    This is why I say it is relevant to answering the big question. I distinguish between the truth and what it relevant to establishing the truth. But this is not worth getting bogged down in.
    The toddlers were home alone, doors were open, they had free run in the apartment. Do you know what toddlers are like and how accident prone they can be? It's very possible she fell of the couch, the PJ report did cover this. They also covered a likely scenario at the end so at this stage this has all been covered and posted and no harm to you, I'm not wasting my time looking for it again to post to be ignored.
    That is not what I asked. I asked for an explanation as to how two parents could behave perfectly normally when they knew their child was lying dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This theory is certainly more plausible than the the overdose scenario to me.

I certainly don't think any group of people (such as the McCann's friends)would willingly cover up a child's death knowingly and put themselves in the firing line (not to mention the utter immorality of it) if they themselves had no hand or part in that child's death.

As a parent, the biggest obstacle for me in believeing in the McCanns guilt is their manner and demeanour during a time after which they supposedly found their daughter dead.
    Which sane parent, in their right minds, would discover their child's dead body and instead of calling for an ambulance, concoct such a cold and calculating false scenario and then just somehow dispose of her little body as if it were yesterday's rubbish, without anyone discovering it in the meantime? Would any parent in such a state of shock and grief be able to do such a thing?
    If she died accidentally, they would have been much less culpable for that, than the crime they then supposedly proceeded with?

Why continue keeping the case in the headlines? Why not just go home and be relieved you got away with it?

Sorry for all the questions :o but these are the same questions which really lead me to the belief that they are more likely to be innocent than guilty in this case. The thought that any parent could conceivably do this to their child and simply carry on regardless, just beggars belief.

Maybe they did not discover the body. Maybe it was a freak accident as in one of the parents playing with the child and the child fell from the grasp of the parent and hit her head on a radiator and died almost instantly. Pure panic may set in on the part of that parent and by the time they regained some compusure the poor child was dead.

Maybe at that point a bad decision was made to cover it up as they feared that one of them may be charged and imprisoned for something that was tragic accident. Maybe one feared that their family would be broken up by this by the law, and the kind of bad logic that only severve pressure can nurture came to the fore. A story was created and it just went from there.

As for why continue the campaign etc through the media and what not. Well I guess something like that wopuld snowball pretty quickly and in order to maintain an appearance of total innocence, a story/campaign would have to be presented over and over again.

As always that is just speculation on my behalf, but it is the best I can think of straight away in order to answer your questions if the earlier scenario had happened.

This is why I say it is relevant to answering the big question. I distinguish between the truth and what it relevant to establishing the truth. But this is not worth getting bogged down in.

That is not what I asked. I asked for an explanation as to how two parents could behave perfectly normally when they knew their child was lying dead.

How can we possibly know? Who here has been faced with this situation?

We do know that despite Kate claiming she thought all three children had been 'sedated' she didn't try and wake them or get them to hospital to see if they were harmed in anyway. We do know though that they didn't physically search for their child. We do know that they were out jogging, we do know that as soon as they were suspects they left the country that their child was supposedly abducted from.

All those other things scream INSANE to me. So why not the first one?

It's completely impossible and has never happened like that, ever. That okay?

Three children alone in a holiday apartment - choking, burning, falling off a sofa/bed and breaking neck. All VERY plausible scenarios for a three-year-old left on her own.
    A seizure ,febrile convulsion , playing with a plastic bag/knife /lighter .Falling down a set of steep concrete steps . etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

The fact that Madeline was in a bed as opposed to in a cot lends more credence to the fact that she got out of bed herself and possibly had an accident.The twins being in travel cots would have been confined there.for the abduction theory,the question is why Madeline and not one of the twins
    The smith sighting is very significant as it is impartial.If the sighting was an innocent one,why didn't some one come forward.
    So the probability is that it could have been the guilty party,either the abductor or Gerry.But isn't there's alibis for him in the tapas bar at tat time?
    A big hole in the case against them me thinks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement