Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

ISDW wrote: »
    PapaQuebec wrote: »

OK, officially why was he taken off the case?

For a start:

"FRAUD OR ABUSE OF TRUST?

During a more relaxed moment at one of these meetings, I come out with an ill-judged comment. Inopportune or undiplomatic, but this is my reasoning: thinking about the kinds of crime that may have been committed if the McCanns were involved in their daughter's disappearance, something occurs to me. If they were involved in one way or another, then a crime of fraud or abuse of trust is a possibility concerning the fund that was set up to finance the search for Madeleine. Donations have reached nearly 3 million Euros.

If such a crime exists, Portugal would not have jurisdiction to investigate and try it. The fund being legally registered in England, it would be our English colleagues who would deal with the case. Our English colleagues then realise a hard reality: the strong possibility that they would have a crime to investigate in their own country, with the McCAnn couple as the main suspects: a prospect that does not seem to appeal to them. I notice a sudden pallor in the faces of those British people present."

OK, officially why was he taken off the case?

Also:

On Monday August 1st, I go back to work at DIC in Portimão, where two pieces of news are waiting for me: officials at Buckingham Palace have received an email informing them that a little girl - Madeleine - has disappeared from a hotel complex situated....in Lisbon! The second was brought to us by an English tourist - Kate - on holiday in Praia da Luz: she allegedly saw a stranger hanging about near the Baptista supermarket in the vicinity of the Ocean Club.

This is where we're at: reduced to receiving that type of tip-off and chasing a phantom, that of the imaginary abductor. This Monday gets off to a bad start, with its load of irritation and preoccupations.

BAD RESPONSE TO A JOURNALIST

In the evening, while driving, I receive an unidentified phone call, the last straw...A journalist asks me if I want to comment on the subject of the email. Whether due to the difficult day, the raging storm or the fact of driving through rain...I lose my cool. I reply, irritably, without thinking, that the message is of no interest and that it would be better for the English police to occupy themselves with the Portuguese investigation.
    Even as I am hanging up, I realise that I have not only made a blunder, but I have been unfair towards the majority of the British police who have helped us throughout these difficult months. I drive on, certain that I have triggered a diplomatic incident with predictable consequences: as soon as these simple words are made public, I risk not being able to continue to direct the Portimão Department of Criminal Investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Pamela Fenn, who resides on the residential block's first floor, above the apartment that was occupied by the McCann family, clarified that on the 1st of May 2007, two days before her disappearance, at around 10.30 p.m., she heard a child crying, which from the sound would be MADELEINE and that she cried for an hour and fifteen minutes, until her parents arrived, at around 11.57 p.m.

This shows that the parents were not persistently worried about their children [and] that they didn't check on them like they afterwards declared they did, rather neglecting their duty to guard those same children, although not in a temerarious, or gross, manner.

So they had left her(crying) and the twins for at approx 1 1/2 hours on the 1st of May, mistake too huh? FFS.

Source: PJ Report

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

The parents of Madeline are guilty of one thing which they will spend their lives paying for - leaving their children unattended while going out for dinner. What parent doesn't know the difficulty of trying to enjoy an evening meal while supervising 3 young children. The children were left asleep in the hotel, the hotel was close to the restaurant and the children were checked at regular intervals by adults. In hindsight, they should maybe of gotten in a baby sitter. How many parents leave their children with baby sitters in hotels without inquiring as to the baby sitters have garda clearance, references etc. I know of one such hotel who did not require this information from the baby sitters they hired. The Mc Canns had nothing more to do with their daughters disappearance. What parent wouldn't want to know what happened to their child? How can people say such things about people who continue to search for a meaning as to what happened to their child. Let's hope they will find the answer to their questions soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And still more people come on to post that leaving three babies alone and out of sight and hearing for any reason is acceptable behaviour.

I'm gobsmacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

I'm sorry but there is something very uneasy about this whole thing. A book and then an exculsive with a rag like the sun newspaper.

bmarley wrote: »
    The parents of Madeline are guilty of one thing which they will spend their lives paying for - leaving their children unattended while going out for dinner. What parent doesn't know the difficulty of trying to enjoy an evening meal while supervising 3 young children. The children were left asleep in the hotel, the hotel was close to the restaurant and the children were checked at regular intervals by adults. In hindsight, they should maybe of gotten in a baby sitter. How many parents leave their children with baby sitters in hotels without inquiring as to the baby sitters have garda clearance, references etc. I know of one such hotel who did not require this information from the baby sitters they hired. The Mc Canns had nothing more to do with their daughters disappearance. What parent wouldn't want to know what happened to their child? How can people say such things about people who continue to search for a meaning as to what happened to their child. Let's hope they will find the answer to their questions soon.

Sadly, this is what you have been led to believe.

If you read the book you'll come to very different conclusion.

I posted in a similar thread on another forum where the majority of posters were pro-McCann, posting thoughts similar to yours.

I offered to email the book to anyone who PM'd me (on the other forum) and received only one request!

Maybe there are some who are happy to have "good" thoughts about this case and dont want to face the awful truth that they might have been conned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i have asked myself what is the point in a book too?
    it wont have police reports - just their side of things. my own folks said itd be far too painful for them to do it if it were them. id be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

What parent doesn't know the difficulty of trying to enjoy an evening meal while supervising 3 young children. The children were left asleep in the hotel, the hotel was close to the restaurant and the children were checked at regular intervals by adults. In hindsight, they should maybe of gotten in a baby sitter.

i as a parent know the difficulty of trying to do many things while supervising my child, but i still do it, i dont just say 'oh id rather not supervise her tonight, its a bit too awkward, il just supervise her every half an hour or so, thats good enough'. parenting is difficult but it doesnt give you the right to take a break from your duties when you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

The Mc Canns had nothing more to do with their daughters disappearance

how do you know?

you might think that, and hope that, but you cannot state it definitively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

gambiaman wrote: »
    And still more people come on to post that leaving three babies alone and out of sight and hearing for any reason is acceptable behaviour.

I'm gobsmacked.

I'm obviously missing all of these posts, as I'm seeing people saying that was wrong, but it doesn't mean that they murdered their daughter, can you please put these posts up.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm obviously missing all of these posts, as I'm seeing people saying that was wrong, but it doesn't mean that they murdered their daughter, can you please put these posts up.

Thanks.

I have never said it means they murdered their daughter - there are plenty of posts for you to read which say it was 'a mistake', 'an error', or 'who's never done<...> blahblah' which is excusing to some degree the McCann's absolute disregard and negligence of their children.

Use your back button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

TheZohan wrote: »
    I and most people would answer any questions that were put to me, a child's life was at stake. If you've nothing to hide you won't get tied up in knots. The questions can't be loaded if you're innocent.

See the Youtube video I posted in #324

If somebody is asking loaded questions and they clearly think you are guilty then they can twist any responses to make whatever is said reflect negatively on you. We see this everyday on boards when posters misconstrue and twist each others posts to give them a different meaning to what was originally intended. This happens in real life too believe it or not.

It's also perfectly reasonable to think that she was advised by her legal advisors not to answer questions since if she was somehow tripped up in her answers by an over zealous interviewer the focus of the investigation would completely move onto her and away from the real perpetrators which would ultimately be equally as bad for the child.

Its too simplistic a view to conclude that refusal to answer questions implies guilt. You're reading between the lines and fabricating a story yourself without any input from her at all. Imagine what police investigators who believed her to be the criminal could/would do if that's the conclusion you and so may others seem to have come to with this scant piece of so called "evidence".

Sadly, this is what you have been led to believe.

If you read the book you'll come to very different conclusion.

I posted in a similar thread on another forum where the majority of posters were pro-McCann, posting thoughts similar to yours.

I offered to email the book to anyone who PM'd me (on the other forum) and received only one request!

Maybe there are some who are happy to have "good" thoughts about this case and dont want to face the awful truth that they might have been conned!

Do you not see the irony in that your basing your belief on a book? i.e. you've been lead to believe by that book that the Mc Canns were somehow involved...A book is just the authors opinions, one persons opinion. Hardly something that makes you any better informed than the next person.

mconigol wrote: »
    You're reading between the lines and fabricating a story yourself without any input from her at all.

What story am I fabricating? Enlighten me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

Do you not see the irony in that your basing your belief on a book? i.e. you've been lead to believe by that book that the Mc Canns were somehow involved...A book is just the authors opinions, one persons opinion. Hardly something that makes you any better informed than the next person.

The author of the book is the person who was in charge of the investigation. His conclusion was that the McCanns are responsible for the disappearance of their daughter, as was the opinion of the Inspector of the PJ

Intercalary Report: Chief Inspector Tavares Almeida
    "Kate McCann and Gerald McCann are involved in the concealment of the cadaver of their daughter, Madeleine McCann"

http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

maebee wrote: »
    The author of the book is the person who was in charge of the investigation. His conclusion was that the McCanns are responsible for the disappearance of their daughter, as was the opinion of the Inspector of the PJ

Ha, just spent the last 2hours reading that, just finished it now. Very interesting read.

What story am I fabricating? Enlighten me...

You said that if she'd nothing to hide then she wouldn't get tied up in knots. Implying that she had in fact something to hide by not answering the questions.

Although I didn't actually mean you specifically were fabricating a story, I meant supporters of this theory in general were reading too much into it. Got caught up in the writing flow....

...which actually reinforces my point though. Poorly phrased sentence from me being used against me! What happens in a criminal investigation where every word/action is under scrutiny? Again I'd recommend looking at the video I posted. While it relates to the states I think it provides food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Could never understand their total lack of duty to their Babies
    I know for a fact if my Mam and Dad :mad: ordinary Joe soaps
    left my younger Brother who is only 4 years old alone especially with know
    doors locked they'd be locked up in prison now.

maebee wrote: »

Opinion =! evidence

Funny how there's so many people on here cynical about the Mc Canns supposedly cashing in on their daughters disapearance but are perfectly happy to believe the opinions of someone who is without a shadow of a doubt cashing in.

What story sells more books for Inspector Almeida:
      Child vanishes, I failed to find anything conclusive OR
      Parents kill their own daughter & hide the body while pulling the wool over the eyes of the entire world?

You can choose what to believe but I tend not to readily believe somebody trying to shift books off the shelves.

• Advertisement

You said that if she'd nothing to hide then she wouldn't get tied up in knots. Implying that she had in fact something to hide by not answering the questions.

Although I didn't actually mean you specifically were fabricating a story, I meant supporters of this theory in general were reading too much into it. Got caught up in the writing flow....

...which actually reinforces my point though. Poorly phrased sentence from me being used against me! What happens in a criminal investigation where every word/action is under scrutiny? Again I'd recommend looking at the video I posted. While it relates to the states I think it provides food for thought.

You've actually proved my point. If someone asks you a question and you answer it you have the opportunity to clear the air, answer what is asked and you won't get tied up in knots. Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BengaLover wrote: »
    Ryan will be briefed beforehand on what NOT to ask, so he wont ask the diffucult questions.

like the ronan keating interview?
    but knowing tubridy he WILL fcuk this up.

im undecided about the truth to this myself to be honest.
    If it was me in that situation having my child kidnapped i would be not wasting or having the time to be writing a book to be honest.
    thats my honest opinion take it as good or bad.

You've actually proved my point. If someone asks you a question and you answer it you have the opportunity to clear the air, answer what is asked and you won't get tied up in knots. Thanks for that. :)

lol....not exactly! You didn't actually ask me that, I had to point it out and it doesn't mean you couldn't use what I initially said against me. If you were trying to prosecute me the very fact that I said you fabricated a story could potentially be enough to build a case or you make me out to be a liar and untrustworthy etc...!

Also how do you know I wasn't lying when I said I wasn't talking about you the first time??!

Watch the video! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You can choose what to believe but I tend not to readily believe somebody trying to shift books off the shelves.

Does that mean you. dont believe Kate Mccann? :)

jimmynokia wrote: »
    like the ronan keating interview?
    but knowing tubridy he WILL fcuk this up.

im undecided about the truth to this myself to be honest.
    If it was me in that situation having my child kidnapped i would be not wasting or having the time to be writing a book to be honest.
    thats my honest opinion take it as good or bad.

What would you do? They're trying to keep the story in the public eye.

People/Kids go missing every day. Take a look:
    http://ie.missingkids.com

That's just Ireland!

How many have you heard of? I bet you know what Madeline McCann looked like when she disappeared though. Ask yourself why that is.

Does that mean you. dont believe Kate Mccann? :)

For personal profit I mean. Obviously :)

I see what you did there. Nice try :P

Edit: Yet another example of how a not fully thought out sentence can be used against someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What would you do? They're trying to keep the story in the public eye.

People/Kids go missing every day. Take a look:
    http://ie.missingkids.com

That's just Ireland!

How many have you heard of? I bet you know what Madeline McCann looked like when she disappeared though. Ask yourself why that is.

i know that what im saying is there would be no need for funding,have you asked yourself why is it not in the public eye?
    would you be thinking about or having time to sit down and write a book?
    people would gladly fund you if they thought it would help.
    there is many ways to promote things than write books.
    IF you have the time too write a book something is wrong there

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i know that what im saying is there would be no need for funding,have you asked yourself why is it not in the public eye?
    would you be thinking about or having time to sit down and write a book?
    people would gladly fund you if they thought it would help.
    there is many ways to promote things than write books.
    IF you have the time too write a book something is wrong there

What do you propose they do to raise the revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What do you propose they do to raise the revenue?

By not writing their memoirs and seeking funds like any charity.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    By not writing their memoirs and seeking funds like any charity.

So you've absolutely no suggestions then? Money will just magically appear. It's not a charity, it's a privately funded company set up to continue the hunt for their daughter.

I find it odd that people would be more accepting if they had simply returned home and spent the rest of their lives feeling sorry for themselves rather than actually being proactive and trying to do something about it.

I say fair play to them if that's what it takes to raise the finances to continue their search. I sincerely hope that it all pays off for them some day. **** the bitter, twisted minority intent on daemonising them. Sad reflection on human beings imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement