Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

ISDW wrote: »
    Does it really matter that they deleted the call/message records on their phones, could the police not have got all that information anyway, from their service providers? Does anyone know if they did that, and if not, has there been any explanation given as to why not?

Very strange one that... Apparently not only did they delete their own phone records, but their service providers also "lost" the records of the time they were in Portugal.
    It looks suspicious all right, but I've no idea how one would go about convincing their network to "misplace" their records, and I doubt they would be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Very strange one that... Apparently not only did they delete their own phone records, but their service providers also "lost" the records of the time they were in Portugal.
    It looks suspicious all right, but I've no idea how one would go about convincing their network to "misplace" their records, and I doubt they would be able to.

Theres so much odd stuff like that. I don't read tabloids, so until this thread, I actually didn't know that much about the case, just what has been on the TV or radio news. But when things like that come out, it just confuses things even more. As you say, how would they convince a service provider to lose those records? I don't know how these things work, but would it not actually be easier to find records if they were abroad, as it would have to go through a Portugese network first, so would there not be two sets of records?

Deleting the call records on their phones is odd, unless they had done it much earlier in the day, just to clear up some space on their phones, which I do every now and then. Huge coincidence obviously that they do it on that particular day. But as intelligent, educated people, they would know that the records would still be with the service provider. So, to cover anything up, that would be a waste of time. Surely the way to do that would be to buy some throw away pay as you go phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

I felt sorry for them both. I'm sure that they have blamed each other and feel responsible for Maddie's disappearance.

I think they did the right thing by going onto the show. The best thing to do is keep the publicity going. Hopefully their book will get around the world and maybe in some way stop this type of thing happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Theres so much odd stuff like that. I don't read tabloids, so until this thread, I actually didn't know that much about the case, just what has been on the TV or radio news. But when things like that come out, it just confuses things even more. As you say, how would they convince a service provider to lose those records? I don't know how these things work, but would it not actually be easier to find records if they were abroad, as it would have to go through a Portugese network first, so would there not be two sets of records?

Deleting the call records on their phones is odd, unless they had done it much earlier in the day, just to clear up some space on their phones, which I do every now and then. Huge coincidence obviously that they do it on that particular day. But as intelligent, educated people, they would know that the records would still be with the service provider. So, to cover anything up, that would be a waste of time. Surely the way to do that would be to buy some throw away pay as you go phones.

If I remember correctly it wasnt just one or two phones but the whole groups phones that were wiped .
    I think the little niggles that all add up into a bigger niggle is why people are very sceptical about the Mc Canns .For example Gerry on the Late Late said the window could be opened from the outside despite this being totally ruled out by the police and the Mc Canns had to change the story about the window very early on .
    Coupled with their lack of awareness how wrong it was to leave the children where they did makes it difficult to fully understand them . Gerry insists its like being in your garden while having a drink and the kids are in bed asleep
    It so is not , I dont know anyone with a huge pool in the garden , a path that lead to the road and back in to the apartment , access to my house via a public road with an unlocked patio door available to all and sundry
    Silly nonsense like that and making silly statements is not helping their cause in my opinion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i don't want my tv licence fee going on these people,
    scumbags leaving their kids alone in a hotel room in a foreign land with the front door unlocked,
    decent parents just wouldnt do that.oh and everyone google the 48 questions kate mccann refused to answer
    to the portugese police, why wouldnt she help them to find her child ??
    but hey at least they got their mortgage paid off,
    oh and they havent worked a day since,
    handy that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    K9 please show us what you refer to as "evidence"?!? of paedophile tendencies on behalf of David Payne. Also tell us why you think the Gaspar statements (for this is the evidence you speak off) remain after 4 years the only "evidence" youve managed to "uncover". Do you think david Payne is a paedophile?

Well there is no convictions if that's what you mean, evidence was a bit strong, sorry. It's an internet discussion so it probably was too strong a word.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i don't want my tv licence fee going on these people,
    scumbags leaving their kids alone in a hotel room in a foreign land with the front door unlocked,
    decent parents just wouldnt do that.oh and everyone google the 48 questions kate mccann refused to answer
    to the portugese police, why wouldnt she help them to find her child ??
    but hey at least they got their mortgage paid off,
    oh and they havent worked a day since,
    handy that
    Actually I will defend them on that point . Gerry is a cardiologist and works full time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Actually I will defend them on that point . Gerry is a cardiologist and works full time

If it were me id be workin full time turning every sod in portugal lookin for my child...that always amazes me...we never seen the mccanns actually searching??? In a field with hundreds of othrs...actually physically lookin....strange that??

PinkFly wrote: »
    If it were me id be workin full time turning every sod in portugal lookin for my child...that always amazes me...we never seen the mccanns actually searching??? In a field with hundreds of othrs...actually physically lookin....strange that??
    Actually a very odd thing , I was in Praia da Luz the following year ,16 months after Madeleine went missing and I found myself always looking around me to see if I could find her .I couldnt help myself and though maybe we would come across her .I know that seems odd but I think its just an instict .
    I too found it very odd that the Mc Canns were not out digging up the beach , tearing bushes apart and moving rocks ,.I think I would be out with a shovel still if she were mine ,

But then you could turn that the other way. If they did hide her body, they could go and join in a search in a completely different area to where they 'know' she is, so it would look as though they were doing the 'right' thing.

• Advertisement

anyone who is defending these muppets do me a favour and google the 48 questions,
    it will change your opinion

anyone who is defending these muppets do me a favour and google the 48 questions,
    it will change your opinion

Already done it, no it didn't.

so why didn't she answer the simple questions ?
    they were trying to find her missing daughter ??
    or where you just attempting to be witty ?
    you failed by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    metrovelvet im interested in how you think the mccanns murdered their daughter, why, and how they disposed of her body, taking into account they were being monitored day and night by the worlds press. also, why have they pursued the search for their, in your opinion, murdered daughter, keeping themselves in the limelight and badgering politicians when the obvious thing for people who have committed the perfect crime, according to you, would be to fade away, breathe a sigh of relief, and breathe. thanks.

mrsbyrne i'm interested in how you think they're not involved given the discrepencies in this case, thanks

But then you could turn that the other way. If they did hide her body, they could go and join in a search in a completely different area to where they 'know' she is, so it would look as though they were doing the 'right' thing.

Who said they killed her??? If she was abducted or wandered surely they should be constantly searching,like the other poster said they did even tho it wasnt their child..... I know if i wer in that situation i wooda sold the family house,moved to portugal, spent everyday in different areas with a team of people combing the area for her..esp in the begining when there was some hope of finding her alive..because if i didnt the guilt of leaving her alone that night,would surely eat away at me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

But also if this Had happened in the UK these people would have been Charged with Neglect at the very Least!!

I don't know why people keep saying this. It's not true.

How many children have died in the UK from parental abuse and neglect. Children that were on the at risk register, children that had social workers, files inches thick, numerous visits to casualty and GPs. Their parents weren't charged in most cases until they had actually caused the child's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I always hoped that they had nothing to do with this and I still will until there is some proof. It is always amazing when someone vanishes without a trace but it does happen.

Has Kate ever been asked why she didn't answer the 48 questions, was it because she felt that the investigation thought they had their man/woman and were constructing the case around them?

Can someone clear something up for me.....what is the explanation surrounding the blood in the boot of the car, particualrly since it was only rented after the child disappeared, am I missing something?

Mark Cagney did a recorded interview with the Mc Canns , shown on Ireland AM today .Its on the Catch up in two parts if anyone is interested ., I found it a bit strange as Cagney seems to know the truth and be very dissmissive of anyone who questions it . .

so why didn't she answer the simple questions ?
    they were trying to find her missing daughter ??
    or where you just attempting to be witty ?
    you failed by the way

Nope, not trying to be witty. It has been discussed a lot already on this thread about why the McCanns do or don't answer questions. Answers can be twisted, you can incriminate yourself even if you aren't guilty of anything. Simple legal standpoint.

Really don't understand your aggression towards me, is that how you always are with people who don't agree with you?
    Who said they killed her??? If she was abducted or wandered surely they should be constantly searching,like the other poster said they did even tho it wasnt their child..... I know if i wer in that situation i wooda sold the family house,moved to portugal, spent everyday in different areas with a team of people combing the area for her..esp in the begining when there was some hope of finding her alive..because if i didnt the guilt of leaving her alone that night,would surely eat away at me...

Searching where? If she was abducted, she would surely be in a building somewhere, and obviously the McCanns couldn't go searching people's property. I understand what you're saying about moving to Portugal etc, but they do have two other children who's lives have already been blighted by this. Is it fair for their whole lives to be about their missing sister? I think they have a right to as normal a life as is possible under these circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

me neither

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mark Cagney did a recorded interview with the Mc Canns , shown on Ireland AM today .Its on the Catch up in two parts if anyone is interested ., I found it a bit strange as Cagney seems to know the truth and be very dissmissive of anyone who questions it . .

The late late show interview was recorded as well.

hondasam wrote: »
    The late late show interview was recorded as well.
    , I didnt cop that and wondered why they had left them so late to interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

How many children have died in the UK from parental abuse and neglect. Children that were on the at risk register, children that had social workers, files inches thick, numerous visits to casualty and GPs. Their parents weren't charged in most cases until they had actually caused the child's death.

Correct. It's not true. It should be, but it's not.

Nope, not trying to be witty. It has been discussed a lot already on this thread about why the McCanns do or don't answer questions. Answers can be twisted, you can incriminate yourself even if you aren't guilty of anything. Simple legal standpoint.

Really don't understand your aggression towards me, is that how you always are with people who don't agree with you?

Searching where? If she was abducted, she would surely be in a building somewhere, and obviously the McCanns couldn't go searching people's property. I understand what you're saying about moving to Portugal etc, but they do have two other children who's lives have already been blighted by this. Is it fair for their whole lives to be about their missing sister? I think they have a right to as normal a life as is possible under these circumstances.

Fields?? Beaches?? Anywhere a young girl cudda wandered to if that was the case?? Surely uprootin the children for the sake of looking for ur eldest is a good enough reason....the twins will never have a 'normal' life they have become 'famous' worldwide for all d wrong reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

so presumably the book will answer these questions?

who did the forensics I wonder. Was it all Portugese or was their Brit involvement in the collection.
    I know the blood was sent to UK for analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

that is interesting. the impression I got was that the facility is there under Uk law but not under Portugese......not sure if that is true but I thought that one of the documentaries I watched, a UK investigator said that.

Fields?? Beaches?? Anywhere a young girl cudda wandered to if that was the case?? Surely uprootin the children for the sake of looking for ur eldest is a good enough reason....the twins will never have a 'normal' life they have become 'famous' worldwide for all d wrong reasons

Did the police not organise searches?

We'll have to disagree on the other children. I think they will have more of a normal life in the UK, with extended family and friends around them, than living in a foreign country. I think that the security that is provided by being in their own environment is probably very important to those two children. I don't just mean the physical security, I mean emotional security, as they are growing up and becoming more aware of what happened, I wonder if they will have 'survivors guilt' and other emotional difficulties?

That is one thing I would be critical of the McCanns about, personally I think that they shouldn't allow filming or photography of the twins, let them grow up without strangers knowing what they look like.

ppink wrote: »
    so presumably the book will answer these questions?

who did the forensics I wonder. Was it all Portugese or was their Brit involvement in the collection.
    I know the blood was sent to UK for analysis.

I have no idea if the questions are answered in the book, but if they have been advised not to answer them for legal reasons, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

ppink wrote: »
    that is interesting. the impression I got was that the facility is there under Uk law but not under Portugese......not sure if that is true but I thought that one of the documentaries I watched, a UK investigator said that.

Just because there is a facility there for it under UK law (and I'm not sure if there is), it doesn't mean to say it would be utilised in their case or indeed in many cases. If it was in their case then they would have to have had prosecuted all the members of the Tapas 9 that had included their own children in 'babysitting' scheme. I really could not see that happening.

• Advertisement

There is no age in UK law at which children are not allowed to be left alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement