Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What didn't you get?
    Your first post. What didn't you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

They all left their kids alone at some point - hence why they were snatched.
    So, yes, being near/ keeping an eye on your kids doesn't stop them from being abducted is exactly what I'm saying.

You've just directly contradicted yourself there.

alright i'm off to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Alright, you've posted some examples where kids were snatched despite the apparent close attention of adults. You've then moved on to state that
    yes, being near/ keeping an eye on your kids doesn't stop them from being abducted is exactly what I'm saying in order to defend your position on the mccanns "parenting skills".
    one wonders how many potential child abductors were prevented from snatching children because their parents were near. Or indeed keeping an eye on them. Despite your insistence that keeping an eye on the kids doesn't stop them being abducted, I think you'll find in the case of Madeline McCann if her parents had kept and eye on her instead of being out for dinner, out of sight and at least 60 seconds walk away she wouldn't have been taken in the first place. I think that being near your kids and looking after them removes the window of opportunity in the vast vast majority of cases that an abductor would require. I disagree entirely with your conclusion that being near/ keeping an eye on your kids doesn't stop them from being abducted. In the examples you've given there were certain acts of lesser negligence than the mccann case, Jamie Bulger was 2 years old, I wouldn't let a 2 year old out of my sight in a busy shopping mall. The linbergh baby case is disputed. Azaria Chamberlain was taken by an animal, not a predatory human and i'll agree it was a tragedy. Sarah Payne was 9 years old, and there's a huge difference between allowing a 9 year old to play outside her grandparents house and leaving a 3 year old and twin 2 year olds alone in an unlocked ground floor apartment in a foreign country when they well could have afforded a babysitter to look after them.

No matter what way you cut it, the McCanns were grossly negligent in their responsibilities towards their children. They allowed some sick ****er easy access to her by their disregard for basic parenting duties. You're attempting to absolve them of blame, when in this case they deserve no such absolution.

I can understand your sympathy for them, i wouldn't wish what they've gone through on anyone. But they've failed madeline and she's the one who suffered the most.

And of course, of course looking after your kids prevents kidnapping.
    well said,just well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

You're attempting to absolve them of blame, when in this case they deserve no such absolution.

I see no one trying to absolve them of the charge of bad parenting - what has people angry here is the lack of respect shown for the child in the comments posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

You're attempting to absolve them of blame, when in this case they deserve no such absolution.

I see no one trying to absolve them of the charge of bad parenting - what has people angry here is the lack of respect shown for the child in the comments posted.

barr a couple, most of the posts on here are because people have more respect for the child than the parents seemed to have when they left her alone to enjoy a night out drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Monfoolio

Did the McCanns ever apologise for leaving their kids alone and accept any responsability?

CK2010 wrote: »

barr a couple, most of the posts on here are because people have more respect for the child than the parents seemed to have when they left her alone to enjoy a night out drinking.

More than a couple.

I see no one trying to absolve them of the charge of bad parenting

attempts From Dark Crystal earlier in the thread:
    Why so quick to blame the parents?

Why lay the blame so squarely at their door??

All I'm saying is, it can happen to any parent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

laura. wrote: »
    How long do you think is an acceptable amount of time to mourn your child?

Get over it???? says the man person complaining about a tv licence

Its been over four years! They should as I say for the third time. BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT! She is a gone! Its their own fault as a failure as parents. And they cant even accept that and learn from it.

Would they just stop annoying the general consensus of Europe about their sob story which by the way they are making millions on! Now that just infuriates me immensely! Considering the fact they are both already high earning doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You've just directly contradicted yourself there.

How do you figure I contradicted myself???

I said being near a child doesn't prevent them from being snatched. Being near a child doesn't mean you're not leaving them alone!!

LOOK AT MY EXAMPLES!

• Advertisement

that's pretty despicable Maverick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

pr companies deflecting sniffer dog evidence + tidy profits from terrible scenario= no trust from Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Its been over four years! They should as I say for the third time. BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT! She is a gone! Its their own fault as a failure as parents.
    A person whose child is missing can't get over it, irrespective of the circumstances - be realistic... It's astounding you think it's reasonable to suggest they just forget about their missing child, and thus possibly further endanger her. ****in' hell... And you don't have to be a parent to see how ****ed up that is - you just need to possess basic empathy.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    pr companies deflecting sniffer dog evidence + tidy profits from terrible scenario= no trust from Bob

Agreed!!

They all left their kids alone at some point - hence why they were snatched.

The meal was with other families they were holidaying with, all of whom left their kids in the same position. The McCanns happened to be the poor ba5tards who lost their precious child to an abductor. Could have happened to any of the others that night.

Look, I'm not saying they are entirely without blame, but how many parents of abducted children wish they had acted differently? It's all well and good to admonish them for Madeline's disappearance, but there is no way in hell they ever imagined that their child would be taken in the short period they were left unattended whilst they had that meal. Blaming them entirlely is wrong, imo.
    one last time,not one of those familys left thier kids alone,120 yrds away
    out of the line of sight while they had food an drink,only lookin in on
    them every 30 mins.kids under 5 should never be left alone..EVER!
    NO MATTER WHAT OTHER PARENTS DO! dont do it,full stop.
    tbh,i really feel for maddy,for her parents.i cant give a fook.
    really.bad parentin tbh.no defince for them.

She is clearly referring to the death/abduction of the 4yr old girl - not the parenting skills of the McCanns

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

deco nate wrote: »
    well said,just well said!

Again, well said, I could never quite believe that they were not, at least in their negligence, responsible for this tragedy. 3 kids under 5, alone in an apartment in a foreign country...no parent who cared about their kids would leave them unattended in their own home, let alone when off on holidays.
    And now, a book, for their "fund". Seriously?

I also said:
    Look, I'm not saying they are entirely without blame, but how many parents of abducted children wish they had acted differently? It's all well and good to admonish them for Madeline's disappearance, but there is no way in hell they ever imagined that their child would be taken in the short period they were left unattended whilst they had that meal. Blaming them entirlely is wrong, imo.

and
    Yes, they probably shouldn't have left them alone, but I suspect they didn't in their wildest dreams, think someone would snatch their child from their bed in a holiday resort, yards from where they were sitting.

All I said was that to hold them entirely responsible is completely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

@Einhard, is the story you were referring to the one where the woman left 3 kids in a car with the engine on outside a shop and someone stole the car?

Regarding this and leaving 3 babies/kids in an apartment 120 meters away from where you are, and similar behavior, it's mind boggling the amount of people defending such idiocy and neglect.
    Seriously, take a step back, try to understand how wrong you are and adjust your behavior accordingly.

And thank your lucky stars you've gotten away with thus far.
    From a 'mod' too ... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Never in my life have i read a more disgusting thread, lets hope all your perfect worlds never come crashing down. And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

DONE
    Have any of you venemous people never made a slight mistake as a parent, granted, you would never leave your kids alone at night. We all know not to do that, but as someone already stated earlier people still do it.

I just don't know why all your hatred is aimed at Kate & Gerry, they have been cleared of all charges, but you just wont let it go...WHY?? I can't imagine or would ever want to imagine how they feel every day of their lives. It would be absolutly unbearable, and if it just happened that they stumbled on here and seen the bile that people are saying about them, they have lost their child for God sake, show a bit of compassion!

And windsock, I don't care what you write, the 25th comment was disgusting, can you imagine if someone said that about your child!
    Each to their own Bertser, each to their own my friend! :)
    1 ) They have connections in Ireland, they were visiting family the Easter holidays before the child went missing, in St Johnston Co Donegal
    2 ) How do you know the child isn't here?
    3 ) It will be fresh in peoples minds when they go on holidays this year.

I know if it were my child I would be doing the exact same thing as them
    How long do you think is an acceptable amount of time to mourn your child?

Get over it???? says the man person complaining about a tv licence

I thought you were DONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Dudess wrote: »
    you just need to possess basic empathy.

I wont express empathy with parents who 1) Left an infant alone in an apartment while on holidays in a country where crime,theft and abduction (As seen here) is highly prevalent.

2) They have the arrogance to persist the media for over four years to continue spreading awareness when thousands of other parents who are far worse off than the likes of two doctors have lost their children through abduction.

and 3) They have the nerve to not even accept their responsibleness as parents and continue to use methods to rake further wealth into their speculative pockets.

They dont deserve empathy from me they dont deserve empathy from other parents nor do they deserve empathy from the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Einhard wrote: »
    I've addressed this. £10k paid off their mortgage in the 6 month period after the disappearance of their child? During which they were not only out of work, but living in a foreign country. I'm sorry, but that is not evidence for the gross profiteering which has been claimed.

Wow. Ok Einhard lets engage the critical faculties here for a minute. They are both doctors. They both earn good salaries. They could afford holiday in Portugal. Their child was missing and it was international news. Do you for one second think that they NEEDED to use that 10k to pay off their child ? Do you think that there bank manager was about to kick them out of their house ? These people had combined income over 100k sterling. Even if this happened now in a recession I guarantee you the bank manager would be giving them a free ride. In pre-recessionary times when banks were throwing money at people you think there was ANY danger they would lose their home ? I think NOT.

Now lets engage your emotional faculties. Do you think in the panic of losing a child you would be concerned about such a thing as a mortgage ? Do you think in between dealing with the police, the press and alot the other stuff you are going to be worried about paying off the mortgage ? It was a cool and calculated manouver to use this money. Not the mindset of a panicked person.

I think the use of this money was not only not necessary, it was opportunistic, it was selfish, it was a misuse of money donated to find their child. Simply put disgraceful.
    Einhard wrote: »
    Damn. My google must be broken.:o
    I read that article though, and it states that the McCann's were going to donate the award towards the Find maddie campaign. How is that an act of gross profiteering? Is there evidence to suggest that they kept the money?

This would be the same Find maddie campaign they used for the mortgage would it ?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    @Einhard, is the story you were referring to the one where the woman left 3 kids in a car with the engine on outside a shop and someone stole the car?

Regarding this and leaving 3 babies/kids in an apartment 120 meters away from where you are, and similar behavior, it's mind boggling the amount of people defending such idiocy and neglect.
    Seriously, take a step back, try to understand how wrong you are and adjust your behavior accordingly.

And thank your lucky stars you've gotten away with thus far.

You pick out this posters comments for derision, yet leave out Mavericks's posts for the same treatment?

Never fails to amaze me how the vicims of crime are open season, yet anyone who attempts to defend the victims are singled out... amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From this thread yesterday leaving your child unattended is unacceptable, many posters suggesting ringing the Guards or breaking windows if a child was in distress, maybe some of the same posters defending similar here?:

Would you leave your child unattended? - boards.ie

Nuff said.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Never fails to amaze me how the vicims of crime are open season, yet anyone who attempts to defend the victims are singled out... amazing

tbh the victim here is the child who was left vulnerable while the people who she depended upon were out drinking. while the blame is not purely on the parents, i dont think id refer to them as the victims. i really do feel sorry for them but i dont think i could call them victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You pick out this posters comments for derision, yet leave out Mavericks's posts for the same treatment?

Amazing?? You must be very easily amazed, oh the wonderment of the mundane.

There are a couple of hundred posts on the thread and many many threads that occurred closer to the events, I'm not going to quote and respond to every post.

I'm not even sure who you mean by 'this poster'. I addressed Einhard and quoted laura. After addressing Einhard, I made a general statement towards anyone who shares the opinion that the type of parenting described is acceptable.

CK2010 wrote: »
    tbh the victim here is the child who was left vulnerable while the people who she depended upon were out drinking. while the blame is not purely on the parents, i dont think id refer to them as the victims. i really do feel sorry for them but i dont think i could call them victims.

Of course, Madeline is the victim. However, her family are also victims of the monster who abducted her. They will have to live with this crime for the rest of their lives. They will probably never see their daughter again.

People who lose their posessions as a result of burglary are seen as victims - why not people who lose their child?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Of course, Madeline is the victim. However, her family are also victims of the monster who abducted her. They will have to live with this crime for the rest of their lives. They will probably never see their daughter again.

People who lose their posessions as a result of burglary are seen as victims - why not people who lose their child?

You don't go away and leave children aged 3 and 1 unattended.

If the child was kidnapped while adults were in their company I'd have huge sympathy.

While the child was Home Alone, nope!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

These people were plain wrong to leave their child unattended and were never even punished for doing so. Kids have gone to social services for less!

Sick to think profit is being made from this book for the "Maddie Fund"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

To be honest I've just been watching some videos of them and I think that the wife shows real genuine emotion and does not know what happened to her. But the husband strikes me as a guy in complete control. At the very least I think he knows what happened.

Does anyone have links to the very early video's of them, the original appeals etc ?

• Advertisement

kids are not posessions to be left alone,they are your blood an lifeline.
    never to be left alone at that age!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement