Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this Gerbil setup look ok?

• 06-05-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry to annoy this forum again, just wondering, I got this cage today for ma lil buddy Link (Hero of Hyrule ;) ) cause his other wheel broke and was part of the platforms in his cage, so no real option but to buy another cage. Got a deal too on this new cage!

But anyways, I'm thinking that the bar flooring is bad for his legs, he keeps on slipping between them and it worries me :( he doesn't look.... right, or comfortable on them, imagine the way we'd walk if we walked on glass, in high heels, with no soles...

Anyways maybe he'll get used to it, but I'd prefer your opinion, I'm posting pics of his new setup too, so you can see what I mean.

ALL opinions are needed, so if you view, PLEASE reply :(

Thanks all,
    Pat

IMG_0238.jpg

The floors here really worry me, but may be just me.

IMG_0237.jpg

He's climbing the ladder ok, also he got in the way of the pic =P

IMG_0236.jpg

Theres the full setup, tube and shaving on the bottom, wheel on the first platform, food water and igloo on the top platform. He hasn't gone up the second platform to his food and water. Will he discover it himself?

IMG_0235.jpg

Second look at the flooring in the cage, his legs keep on slipping between them and I'm afraid they'll end up hurting him or breaking his leg by catching them between the bars. Will he be ok?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Love the name. But I definitely wouldn't be in favour of the cage. There shouldn't really be in spaces in the bars in the platforms, way to big a risk that he'll catch a paw and twist it or break it. THe ladders should be fine, but with the speed that gerbils move at, i would be wary about the bars underfoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭yugimon121

Hi, as the above poster said, the spaced flooring isnt the best. however, the cage itself is good.
    from the experience i gained at RFUK you could still use the cage 2 ways:
    buy a fleece liner and cover all flooring areas with it. yes it will smell when they pee on it, so thats a con.
    another option is wood on top of the flooring, same thing except the pee wont soak in as much (all depends on the wood, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

You mean like the silvery grey wool they sell in pet shops? Sounds like a good idea, will pick some up tomorrow! :D

yes, thats fleece liner. buy 2, so you can place on a new one while you wash the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Xinkai wrote: »
    You mean like the silvery grey wool they sell in pet shops? Sounds like a good idea, will pick some up tomorrow! :D

If your thinking of the multi-coloured cotton wool type stuff avoid it, that stuff should be banned it's so dangerous. If it's ingested it can kill hamsters and gerbils, and if it gets wrapped around limbs it can cut off blood supply and they end up losing that limb, in fact I think a poster here posted about her three legged mice for that very reason a while back.

Your right about the wires being uncomfortable and dangerous, they can cause bumblefoot. When I had a wire ladder with rungs like that I looped thin cardboard in and out between the rungs, if you've some cereal boxes in the press cut them up and just loop them in and out of the wires to create a solid floor. It's cheap and can be easily replaced when pee'd on.

You could try tempting him up to the top floor with some food, he'l probably find it eventually on his own but no harm in giving him a help!

Is that a fat-tailed gerbil? Iv been seeing loads of those recently in pet shops. Im more used to the regular type, how do you find your little fella? Temperment wise are they much different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What about buying a non slip mat, like the ones you line drawers with to stop cutlery movin in drawers. You can buy it in the euro shop's they come in rolls and cut to measure so you'll have a spare when you wash the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I like Zapperzy's idea of the cereal boxes, its a cheap and simple solution, and no harm to the gerbil.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If your thinking of the multi-coloured cotton wool type stuff avoid it, that stuff should be banned it's so dangerous. If it's ingested it can kill hamsters and gerbils, and if it gets wrapped around limbs it can cut off blood supply and they end up losing that limb, in fact I think a poster here posted about her three legged mice for that very reason a while back.

Your right about the wires being uncomfortable and dangerous, they can cause bumblefoot. When I had a wire ladder with rungs like that I looped thin cardboard in and out between the rungs, if you've some cereal boxes in the press cut them up and just loop them in and out of the wires to create a solid floor. It's cheap and can be easily replaced when pee'd on.

You could try tempting him up to the top floor with some food, he'l probably find it eventually on his own but no harm in giving him a help!

Is that a fat-tailed gerbil? Iv been seeing loads of those recently in pet shops. Im more used to the regular type, how do you find your little fella? Temperment wise are they much different?

Would even a small bit of carpet do? Found out we have some in the shed, after a good wash ofc ;)

Yeah he's a Duprasi (Fat tailed Gerbil) love him to bits, he's VERY active, spending about 5 hours a day in his wheel, which is the reason he's broken 2 already :D (My poor wallet)

Very docile, has only nipped at me once because I woke him up by accident, other than that, not very social, doesn't want to be handled, but were ok with that, curious lil fella too, always glued to the glass to see whats going on. Highly reccomended to have a rodent if you have small kids as they NEVER bite (Unless woken up) :P and are funny to look at. You can also keep same sex pairs, which is cool. Link is a male, and gonna get another soon an call him either Ganon or Mario, maybe Ninty lol.

Gonna go to swords pet shop now and pick him up some form of flooring, provided the guy that works there is *SNIP* Less moody :D

Thanks all :)

Guy in pet shop said the cage would be ok as it's 'A PROPER GERBIL CAGE'

Helpful...

Gonna take the cereal box idea and run with that. What do I do if he eats the cardboard?

Obvious answer: get a new box...

Is there anything I can put on it to stop him gnawing at it?

Guy in pet shop said the cage would be ok as it's 'A PROPER GERBIL CAGE'

Helpful...

Gonna take the cereal box idea and run with that. What do I do if he eats the cardboard?

Obvious answer: get a new box...

Is there anything I can put on it to stop him gnawing at it?

Wow such a shame to see people working in pet shops that clearly have absolutely no clue what their talking about. :mad:

The cardboard will do him no harm if he chews it. There's not much you can do to stop him chewing it, all you can do really is provide other things to chew and hope he prefers them, if not just be prepared to be eating a lot of cornflakes! :D

I see there's not really much for him to chew on already in the cage, I'd give him some of the cardboard inserts of toilet rolls and some wood to chew on or he could get into a habit of chewing the bars or the plastic. Other than that you've a lovely set up, I love those silent spinner wheels, Iv a pink one for my hamster!

• Advertisement

Staff there are terrible, just I work close to the shop so it's handy. Petmania are gods. Also Whackers pet shop. Love 'em.

As for him not having much to chew on, trust me he does, theres 3 gnaw sticks in there SOMEWHERE, but will throw in cardboard too and a hang treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

He was still on his period, seriously, staff there are terrible, just I work close to the shop so it's handy. Petmania are gods. Also Whackers pet shop. Love 'em.

As for him not having much to chew on, trust me he does, theres 3 gnaw sticks in there SOMEWHERE, but will throw in cardboard too and a hang treat.

How old are you?

Has nobody ever explained the facts of life to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

ISDW wrote: »
    How old are you?

Has nobody ever explained the facts of life to you?

Think it's a joke/turn of phrase..

the cardboard is a good idea, might try that if i ever buy a new pair :)
    the fleece i was referring to is the threadless kind, very soft, in some types of pajamas.

liah wrote: »
    Think it's a joke/turn of phrase..

Yeah, that 12 year olds use.

Actually it was more used in terms as if to say the staff are moody, because never once have I gone in there and been greeted, nor have I ever been happy with the service. I go into whackers and the register clerk gives a nod and a howaya, and is always happy to explain stuff I don't understand or answer any questions I have.

Tried the cereal box, cut it up and placed on the floor, didn't cover it all, but Link will make do. Thanks guys I really do appreciate the recommendations. :)

Actually it was more used in terms as if to say the staff are moody, because never once have I gone in there and been greeted, nor have I ever been happy with the service. I go into whackers and the register clerk gives a nod and a howaya, and is always happy to explain stuff I don't understand or answer any questions I have.

Yeah, I know in what context you are using it, but I really feel it is inappropriate for adult conversation. In fact, I should have just reported it instead of posting about it, for which I apologise, and I shall go and do so now.

ISDW wrote: »
    Yeah, I know in what context you are using it, but I really feel it is inappropriate for adult conversation. In fact, I should have just reported it instead of posting about it, for which I apologise, and I shall go and do so now.

ANYWHO back on topic please, while the cardboard is down, I'll pick up some THREADLESS wool, or would I be better off asking for some custom sized wooden floors from a contractor or builder? 2 seconds on the jigsaw me guesses, seen a cage with wooden flooring. Anyone have previous experience with wooden flooring?

Actually it was more used in terms as if to say the staff are moody c***s, because never once have I gone in there and been greeted, nor have I ever been happy with the service. I go into whackers and the register clerk gives a nod and a howaya, and is always happy to explain stuff I don't understand or answer any questions I have.

Tried the cereal box, cut it up and placed on the floor, didn't cover it all, but Link will make do. Thanks guys I really do appreciate the recommendations. :)

If you intertwine it between the bars rather than just placing it straight down he might be less inclined to pull it up and chew it. Without taking the whole shelf out though it would be difficult.
    You must be on your period :rolleyes:

ANYWHO back on topic please, while the cardboard is down, I'll pick up some THREADLESS wool, or would I be better off asking for some custom sized wooden floors from a contractor or builder? 2 seconds on the jigsaw me guesses, seen a cage with wooden flooring. Anyone have previous experience with wooden flooring?

I looked into and thought about getting a wooden cage when zooplus first got them in but didn't get one in the end because of the risk of them chewing their way out and of pee soaking into the wood and smelling. For a shelf though I wouldn't see a problem provided you didn't use any varnishs, stains or anything toxic. Just be aware though that you'l probably have to replace it down the line if he starts peeing on it or chews it to dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The fleece stuff I think they mean is called Vet Bed, you can buy smaller pieces that are pre cut for small animals so there are no loose ends but not sure vet bed is that great for gerbils because they are real chewers but you could try it out but keep an eye any sign of chewing and take it away in case he injests it.

If you can get some safe wooden platforms it'd be safer if you can make some holes in the wood and tie it with the same kind of wire used for holding those small animal water bottles that might work. Northern parrots and other bird sites sell platform perches which are flat or chinchilla wooden platforms might work just make sure the wood you choose is safe for gerbils.

The cage otherwise is great I always found tanks for better for gerbils and hamsters and the fact he can climb up to the top to bed is good.

Personally I'd switch to carefresh bedding though, it's more pricey but lasts as long as a bag of the woodchips. If your gerbil is ok with the woodchips maybe you can leave it but I found some of mine when I had them developed allergies to the woodchips esp. around their nose, as soon as they were changed to carefresh that all cleared up.

For a bit of fun you could add a sand bath area or use non toxic childrens play sand instead of woodchips sometimes just for a change in texture it does smell after a while but with one gerbil you'd get away with a couple of weeks without needing to change it.

One gerbil would take a good while to chew through a good piece of timber esp. when they have other things to chew as well.
    If you have access to apple branches that haven't been sprayed with chemicals your gerbil will love them. Just stick them in a freezer bag in the freezer over night to kill off any bugs or wash them in hot water and leave to dry first.

Hope that helps it's good to see a smallie owner wanting to improve their smallies housing, gerbils are great fun too they really appreciate everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I'd cover the bar flooring with wood, cardboard or something non absorbent and non toxic if I were you. How about some pvc maybe?

I also seriously do not recommend the cotton wool like fluff stuff mentioned above. A friends hamster died of an impacted intestine from swallowing it and I've been told that there is also a serious risk that the fibres of it will wrap around their little feet and cause them to be seriously injured and lose the limb.

I always used shredded toilet paper instead. They love it for bedding, it's digestible and much cheaper.

As the user said above I agree carefresh is safer but it's hard to find. I also used aspen snake bedding instead for mine when I couldn't get my hands on carefresh and it worked great. Actually I almost preferred it to the carefresh as it was less dusty and softer. Its more expensive than wood chips but safer for their little lungs and eyes.

I'd cover the bar flooring with wood, cardboard or something non absorbent and non toxic if I were you. How about some pvc maybe?

I also seriously do not recommend the cotton wool like fluff stuff mentioned above. A friends hamster died of an impacted intestine from swallowing it and I've been told that there is also a serious risk that the fibres of it will wrap around their little feet and cause them to be seriously injured and lose the limb. I always used shredded toilet paper instead. They love it for bedding, it's digestible and much cheaper.

As the user said above I agree carefresh is safer but it's hard to find. I also used aspen snake bedding instead for mine, when I couldn't get my hands on carefresh and it worked great. Its more expensive than wood chips but safer for their little lungs and eyes.

It is a threadless liner, and is usually used as one sheet covering the base. no wool, much like pajamas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

yugimon121 wrote: »
    It is a threadless liner, and is usually used as one sheet covering the base. no wool, much like pajamas

Ah I'm not familiar with that. I was talking about the bags of fluff you buy in the pet shop. :o

If it was impossible to shred and swallow It might be a good solution but I'd really make sure of that first as gerbils are terrible for chewing up stuff.

Ah I'm not familiar with that. I was talking about the bags of fluff you buy in the pet shop. :o

If it was impossible to shred and swallow It might be a good solution but I'd really make sure of that first as gerbils are terrible for chewing up stuff.

that wool? now that you bring it up, its a death sentence!
    as he said i dont recommend it to any gerbil owners

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Xinkai--can you tone the language down a bit?
    Ive also edited your posts.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Xinkai--can you tone the language down a bit?
    Ive also edited your posts.

Apologies, won't happen again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I'd recommend you get another gerbil to keep that one company as they love friends.

the trouble with wire cages is the mess they make kicking out the chipping etc which is why I'd get a glass tank in the future, the bottom of my cage is yellow plastic and they have gradually bitten through it. At the moment the holes are tiny but its only a matter of time really.
    Any plastic floor I bought has been bitten through as has the stairs.

Where did you get your cage ? yours could be fine as the bottom is much deeper than mine is so less mess and harder to bite through.

Yo guys, just a quick, final update please god. Got some VET BED for Link's cage from Petmania! The guy said that while he will chew it, it is in no way hazourdous to his health. So I pimped out his cage with it!

IMG_0240.jpg

Thats the full cage now, layed out in full. He loves the carpet, and even put some in his igloo, which he hasn't used for more than 20 seconds, as he sleeps in the pipe xD

IMG_0241.jpg

Theres the flooring of his top platform.

Can you guys see any problems with this or is it A-OK now? :)

Yo guys, just a quick, final update please god. Got some VET BED for Link's cage from Petmania! The guy said that while he will chew it, it is in no way hazourdous to his health. So I pimped out his cage with it!

IMG_0240.jpg

Thats the full cage now, layed out in full. He loves the carpet, and even put some in his igloo, which he hasn't used for more than 20 seconds, as he sleeps in the pipe xD

IMG_0241.jpg

Theres the flooring of his top platform.

Can you guys see any problems with this or is it A-OK now? :)

Now thats a nice cage!
    dont know about the barred bridges, but i didnt have barred bridges in mine (they were plastic) but things are looking good!

• Advertisement

Pimp Link lol, hes not interested in chewing bars or anything and the bottom is plexiglass or plastic of SOME sort. So he's always looking out there.

If I get him a friend will I have to buy another wheel? =/ Theres NO room for another wheel =/

Advertisement