Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On street parking in Cork city

Options
  • 06-05-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why the fook in 2011 we still have parking discs in Cork city?? It's such an archaic system....park up....stroll off and find a shop selling the discs....back to the car and then scratch off the numbers like a lottery ticket! I was in Galway recently and they have on street pay and display machines all over the city centre. I know they had some pay and display machines on South Mall a few years ago but they disappeared never to be seen again. The seem to have plenty of money for unwanted traffic lights which are mushrooming all over the place. Do the City Council have some kind of agenda to provide crap infrastructure in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

you can also call in a centre and pay that way, each street has a number and a time limit, it also means you can top up without going back to your car, this system is however only good if you are a regular visitor to the city as i wouldnt bother going to the hassle of registering and paying online if i werent . ive been to plenty of places that stilll have disc parking cobh mallow and limerick to name a few !!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why the fook in 2011 we still have parking discs in Cork city?? It's such an archaic system....park up....stroll off and find a shop selling the discs....back to the car and then scratch off the numbers like a lottery ticket! I was in Galway recently and they have on street pay and display machines all over the city centre. I know they had some pay and display machines on South Mall a few years ago but they disappeared never to be seen again. The seem to have plenty of money for unwanted traffic lights which are mushrooming all over the place. Do the City Council have some kind of agenda to provide crap infrastructure in the city?

Still don't have park by text in 2020. Visiting this weekend and had to traipse around looking for corner shops in the pi5sing rain to buy a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Still don't have park by text in 2020. Visiting this weekend and had to traipse around looking for corner shops in the pi5sing rain to buy a disc.

Zombie thread but we've had park by phone for ages

https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/Home/Park-By-Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Park in the cycling lanes; chances are you'll get away with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Park in the cycling lanes; chances are you'll get away with it :rolleyes:

Pedestrian plaza on Cornmarket Street and the bus lane on MacCurtain Street are also great free parking spots. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Taking a stroll around today and I was surprised at the amount of illegal /inconsiderate parking. Most notable around the Crawford gallery area I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

On the flip side of this, I see Cork City Council have a great response to the deserted streets due to Covid-19
    .... they are still sending out traffic wardens to ticket cars for no disk displayed!! Saw a traffic warden ticket loads of cars on Popes Quay in recent days.
    Loads of empty parking spaces nearby as people staying home, so no congestion or illegal parking in this instance.
    Talk about shooting turkeys in a barrel??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

normanbond wrote: »
    On the flip side of this, I see Cork City Council have a great response to the deserted streets due to Covid-19
    .... they are still sending out traffic wardens to ticket cars for no disk displayed!! Saw a traffic warden ticket loads of cars on Popes Quay in recent days.
    Loads of empty parking spaces nearby as people staying home, so no congestion or illegal parking in this instance.
    Talk about shooting turkeys in a barrel??

Yeah those turkey's aren't the smartest ,
    Parking charges are a revenue raising device ( as well as demand nanagment) ,just because there's no que in a supermarket doesn't mean you don't have to pay...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement