Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenwood Walk, Ayrfield??

Options
  • 06-05-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I only moved to Dublin about 19 months ago, first lived in Rathmines, now live in Terenure. So I don't know too much about Dublin or what areas are good/bad.

I work in Swords and am considering renting an apartment in Greenwood Walk, Ayrfield (it is the 3rd exit off that big roundabout after UCI Coolock).

I was just wondering (from people who live there or near there), what the area is like? There is a secure underground carpark so that solves my fear of anything happening to my car.

But I like to go for long walks most days (up to 6k, sometimes more) and just wondering what the area and surrounding areas would be like for walking, especially in the evenings on weekdays as I sometimes like to get out for walks after work.

Appreciate your replies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

greenwood is lovely. you have tesco clarehall right beside you and you couls walk to the coast and back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Well if you could drive somewhere then walk you could around the likes of Howth,Malahide,Portmarnock,Raheny,Clontarf.

Walking anywhere from Ayrfield will just be in built up areas. I guess you'd be pretty near the Hole in the wall road and then on to Moyne road down Drimnigh road and back Chapel road and back on to the Malahide road but I'm not sure there is a path all the way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP - will pm you.

Inbox wrote: »
    Well if you could drive somewhere then walk you could around the likes of Howth,Malahide,Portmarnock,Raheny,Clontarf.

Walking anywhere from Ayrfield will just be in built up areas. I guess you'd be pretty near the Hole in the wall road and then on to Moyne road down Drimnigh road and back Chapel road and back on to the Malahide road but I'm not sure there is a path all the way round.

im thinking that if the op cuts through millbrook park down to the donahies then down the kilbarrack road they would come out at the old texaco garage on the howth road. then there is the walk along the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Thanks for the replies.

Is the area safe to walk around in the evening?

Also, have any of you heard of Sky Conway?

It seems it is all we can get in relation to cable/digital in the complex.

• Advertisement

Perfectly fine to walk around in the evening. You can go left towards the tonlegee road and down towards the coast or right toward malahide village.

yeah the area is grand to walk around in. st annes isnt too far if you are interested in a long-ish walk. walk from greenwood down to the tonlegee and turn left. when you get to the fire station turn right and keep walking til you hit raheny village
    cross at the crossroads and turn left at the bottom of the hill then the first right and st annes is ahead

by the way. edenmore shopping center is very near you too. there is a range of shops there and a couple of pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Munchkin_C

Hi all. I was hoping you might be able to help me, my husband and I are looking to buy our first house and saw one that we have fallen in love with but don't know anything about the area. It is in greenwood avenue donaghmede/ayrfeild, would anyone know if this area has ever flooded, are there many kids and just generally anything good or bad would help us make our minds up. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Munchkin_C wrote: »
    Hi all. I was hoping you might be able to help me, my husband and I are looking to buy our first house and saw one that we have fallen in love with but don't know anything about the area. It is in greenwood avenue donaghmede/ayrfeild, would anyone know if this area has ever flooded, are there many kids and just generally anything good or bad would help us make our minds up. Cheers

Renting in the apartment block on Greenwood walk. There was no flooding here during the recent floods. There are a lot of kids around but it is probably a normal amount for an estate. I have only lived here for 5 months but so far it seems like an ok area. It is rather close to Darndale (no offence to people living there) which does have some undesirables hanging around.

It is quiet enough, although the odd car/house alarm goes off and at least 2/3 times a week you will hear Garda sirens, albeit not in the estate, but in the close vicinity.

It is very close to a lot of amenities including Tesco, Lidl, Dunnes Stores, MacDonalds, UCI Cinema, Burger King, Woodies and other various home stores like Power City and that. Also very close to the M1 which links straight onto the M50. If you work in City Centre, the traffic would be a nightmare during rush hour. Traffic is grand northbound though.

In my honest opinion, unless there is a strong reason (not just because you love the house, but if you have family near by, work near by) you want to live here, I would not buy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Monife wrote: »
    It is quiet enough, although the odd car/house alarm goes off and at least 2/3 times a week you will hear Garda sirens, albeit not in the state, but in the close vicinity.

It's entirely possible these are sirens from Fire Brigades/Ambulances leaving the Kilbarrack Fire Station that you are hearing

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    It's entirely possible these are sirens from Fire Brigades/Ambulances leaving the Kilbarrack Fire Station that you are hearing

It probably is and coolock garda station. I live on Greenwood Walk - its really handy for my work and my sons school. The GAA club is great for the kids and very social. Walking distance to Tescos, Donaghmede Shopping Centre, Lidl and the UCI cinema. Maybe its the house next door to me that you are thinking of buying!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Munchkin_C wrote: »

You might want to consider areas like Ardara Avenue,Grangemore,Howth View or Holywell all around the same sort of area.

They are more mature areas with fewer kids and more open spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Munchkin_C

Thank you all for your comments that has given us something to think about

Advertisement