Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub ?300 scope

Options
  • 06-05-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,got a call from my rfd today,and within 30 mins I was holding my new cz455 hmr thumbhole! I've got a few weeks to wait for the paperwork so I thought I'd use the time to pick up a scope. Problem is,my budget is ?250-?300,and that is the ABSOLUTE limit of what I can spend. Does anyone have any ideas. I was looking at a bushnell trophy,are they any good? Thanks all. Longranger

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've recommended this previously and find myself surprised at still recommending it. The Hawke sidewinder 30 Series.

I used to hate Hawke scopes, but was fairly impressed with this. Good features, tactical turrets, clear enough especially for a .22, 30mm tube, side focus. Still tempted to get one for my .22.

All available in various reticles and various mag sizes. Might not be your cup of tes, but will get the ball rolling. Best part. They start at under €300 to just under €400 for the top model.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i was looking at this http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/mtcScope_MamLt.htm
    it has a lot of good reviews:) hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

i was looking at this http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/mtcScope_MamLt.htm
    it has a lot of good reviews:) hope it helps

I cant speak for the mamba version that ghostmantra recommends but my cousin has the mtc viper version on his 220 and he loves it. Hes had it a few years now and wont hear tell of "upgrading".

http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/mtcScope_Vip.htm

Ive put a few rounds through it myself and I have to say it does the job. And its not crazy money either so thats always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Ezridax wrote: »
    I've recommended this previously and find myself surprised at still recommending it. The Hawke sidewinder 30 Series.

I used to hate Hawke scopes, but was fairly impressed with this. Good features, tactical turrets, clear enough especially for a .22, 30mm tube, side focus. Still tempted to get one for my .22.

All available in various reticles and various mag sizes. Might not be your cup of tes, but will get the ball rolling. Best part. They start at under €300 to just under €400 for the top model.

I was looking at one of these,my rfd stocks them. They look great for the money. Which model is the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Forget about buying a new scope, there are plenty of good second hand scopes in both private and dealers hands.

• Advertisement

Forget about buying a new scope, there are plenty of good second hand scopes in both private and dealers hands.

What do you think I could get on my budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Ezridax wrote: »

I have a sidewinder 30 on my tikka tac. It's a great scope for the money.
    I would recommend it highly.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    I have a sidewinder 30 on my tikka tac. It's a great scope for the money.
    I would recommend it highly.

Thanks Poulo,what power is it,and,if you don't mind me asking,how much?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Heres two perfect examples of what can be bought for small money, OK they are now sold unfortunately but you get the idea.....look about.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056228042

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Longranger wrote: »
    Thanks Poulo,what power is it,and,if you don't mind me asking,how much?:)

It is 6-24x56. With target turrets mildot illuminated ret and 30 mm tube. It cost me €350 last year.

As it happens I am selling my tikka. I have to show it to a lad tomorrow and if he doesn't want the scope then it might be for sale separate I will know tomorrow or monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i never rated hawke scopes because of a bad one i had but the sidewinder ones like poulos is a whole different breed, i was very impressed with poulos when i had a chance to use it

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    It is 6-24x56. With target turrets mildot illuminated ret and 30 mm tube. It cost me €350 last year.

As it happens I am selling my tikka. I have to show it to a lad tomorrow and if he doesn't want the scope then it might be for sale separate I will know tomorrow or monday

If so,would you mind letting me know. I'd be definately interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

i think if you have a look here you might get something decent second hand here http://www.guntrader.co.uk/EquipmentForSale/search.php
    it's worth a look anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 - 20 X 50 which I'm very happy with - one on auction here on E-Bay at the moment

Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 - 20 X 50

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Simmons-Whitetail-Classic-6-5-20x50-Riflescope-Matt-/270745057974?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f09a9bab6

or less power

Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5 - 10 X 50

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Simmons-Whitetail-Classic-3-5-10x50-Riflescope-/270745058114?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f09a9bb42

They get very good reviews for the cost.

They are discontinued now but some still available in stock. If you do decide to go for one made sure it's manufactured in the Phillipines & not China

Advertisement