Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First road bike: Scott S30/S40 or Giant Defy 2/3

• 07-05-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a hybrid for the past year or so and am now looking to get my first real road bike, my lbs are recommending the Scott S30 over the Giant Defy range. They were telling me that the Scott are offering much better parts for the price in this years range.

Would love to hear any thoughts, recommendations or reviews on which I should go for?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Are Scott available in the republic? I didn't think they were.

I have a Scott Sportster (hybrid) which I use in Italy for several months of the year. Great bike. As an aside, I have noticed in our region (triangle Arezzo, Sanseplucro, Perugia) that Giant is not popular and Giant dealers tend to be less specialized (not quite sell anything but not quite not either). However the choice of other brands is phenomenal which might explain the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Looks like Scott are only available in Altitude in Waterford and Slane Cycles in Belfast.
    http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/dealers/?continents=2&countries=101&search=dub&distance=200&sports=6&send=

From any research I've done, they seem to get great reviews, good parts & value for money, what has your experience been like with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

We have two Scott hybrids in Italy - male and female Sportsters. No disk brakes on either model (not sure if that makes them S30s' or S40s or whatever). Both bikes were bought a year apart in Pasquini's in Arezzo. From day one my Scott fitted me like a glove - great judgment by the guys in Pasquini's. A combination of Shimano Alivio and Deore - if memory serves me, I'm not a bike geek so I may be wrong. I had looked at a Cannondale from a shop in Sansepulcro but neither liked the look, the feel or the stretch on it. I am in my fifties by he way.

We cycle in a very mountainous region and the Sportsters are more than capable on the roads. Also there are lots of unsurfaced roads about ('white roads') and Pasquini's changed out the tires to a Schwable type specific to that need before passing the bikes over - 28mm. If I could afford a Scott cyclocross I would buy one without hesitation as I know several people with the Scott Addict (i am pretty sure it's that model) who rave about it. I think they are around €3000 or so. (We have three mountain bikes by the way with SRAM fittings and front/back suspension. They were bought from a plumber who got into bikes and later decided he had made a mistake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Scott road bike ( CR1) and Scott MTB , wouldnt change for the world.

tried Felt, Giant, Ridley before the Scott

Hire Scotts on holidays also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

michael196 wrote: »
    Scott road bike ( CR1) and Scott MTB , wouldnt change for the world.

tried Felt, Giant, Ridley before the Scott

Hire Scotts on holidays also.
    Black Bloc wrote: »
    We have two Scott hybrids in Italy - male and female Sportsters. No disk brakes on either model (not sure if that makes them S30s' or S40s or whatever). Both bikes were bought a year apart in Pasquini's in Arezzo. From day one my Scott fitted me like a glove - great judgment by the guys in Pasquini's. A combination of Shimano Alivio and Deore - if memory serves me, I'm not a bike geek so I may be wrong. I had looked at a Cannondale from a shop in Sansepulcro but neither liked the look, the feel or the stretch on it. I am in my fifties by he way.

We cycle in a very mountainous region and the Sportsters are more than capable on the roads. Also there are lots of unsurfaced roads about ('white roads') and Pasquini's changed out the tires to a Schwable type specific to that need before passing the bikes over - 28mm. If I could afford a Scott cyclocross I would buy one without hesitation as I know several people with the Scott Addict (i am pretty sure it's that model) who rave about it. I think they are around €3000 or so. (We have three mountain bikes by the way with SRAM fittings and front/back suspension. They were bought from a plumber who got into bikes and later decided he had made a mistake).

Thanks for the replys guys, you've convinced me the scott is the way to go. Think im going to pick up the scott s30 at the weekend! I'll be rid of my hybrid then, I'm going to have to stock up on the spandex & start waxing my legs! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement