Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths for pharmacy/ medicine?

Options
  • 07-05-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm currently in 4th year and have to pick my subject choices.
    I would like to do medicine or pharmacy in college and would like to know if Applied Maths would benefit me at all for medicine or pharmacy.
    I would also like to know of it is very difficult?
    I'm doing HL LC maths at the moment and I don't find it too bad yet.
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Are you mindblowingly logical and good at maths?
    Otherwise its rock solid. Its also an 8th subject, which is hard because its one more than you generally take, but you might as well try it if its on offer for a few months if its there.

I doubt it would come in handy for either of those things. Just be awesome at maths and chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Otherwise its rock solid. Its also an 8th subject, which is hard because its one more than you generally take, but you might as well try it if its on offer for a few months if its there.

I doubt it would come in handy for either of those things. Just be awesome at maths and chemistry.

This is a bit OT, but when you say it's 'rock solid', have you tried it in school? I'm trying to decide whether or not to take up Applied Maths next year myself, so just curious. :o

I did it up until Christmas and got 50% which wasn't that bad in terms of the class we all got around it but I got it by luck, I get As and Bs in Maths and Physics though just for comparison.
    It is definitely something to try. There are people in the class you'd never think who'd be good at it and they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I did it up until Christmas and got 50% which wasn't that bad in terms of the class but I got it by luck, I get As and Bs in Maths and Physics though just for comparison.
    It is definitely something to try. There are people in the class you'd never think who'd be good at it and they can do it.

Thanks, I'm thinking I might as well give it a go seeing as I'm quite good at maths normally, not a genius in any sense of the word, but it's worth a try I guess. I'm not doing Physics though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I don't think it would benefit you at all for either, definately not pharmacy anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Miruku

I don't think it would benefit you at all for either, definately not pharmacy anyways.

Oh, so would you say it is no necessary? And I also heard that a large amount of people usual gets As and Bs in the LC applied maths exam though and general classes get almost a year Of revision time.

Oh, so would you say it is no necessary? And I also heard that a large amount of people usual gets As and Bs in the LC applied maths exam though and general classes get almost a year Of revision time. Also when you say rock solid, do you mean like you can either do it or not do it? Is AP maths really that hard? Because I asked my maths teacher and he said it's basically the manipulation of formula which you don't even have to remember because it is in your log table. Sorry for all the question, I just want to make sure I don't make the wrong choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Duplicate threads merged and tidied up.

Miruku wrote: »
    Oh, so would you say it is no necessary? And I also heard that a large amount of people usual gets As and Bs in the LC applied maths exam though and general classes get almost a year Of revision time. Also when you say rock solid, do you mean like you can either do it or not do it? Is AP maths really that hard? Because I asked my maths teacher and he said it's basically the manipulation of formula which you don't even have to remember because it is in your log table. Sorry for all the question, I just want to make sure I don't make the wrong choice.

Unless you have it built into your timetable as a normal class you won't have a year of revision. One of the main issues I had was I only had an hour a week.

The reason so many get as and bs is because as you say, you can either do it or not and its not worth taking an 8th subject unless you are going to get a really high mark.

As for what your teacher said, ok maybe its mostly manipulating formula but thats because you are given 5 formulae and a difficult question and the rest is up to you. In fact, if you can find the applied maths book you could give the LC questions a go in Linear motion.

Unless you have it built into your timetable as a normal class you won't have a year of revision. One of the main issues I had was I only had an hour a week.

The reason so many get as and bs is because as you say, you can either do it or not and its not worth taking an 8th subject unless you are going to get a really high mark.

As for what your teacher said, ok maybe its mostly manipulating formula but thats because you are given 5 formulae and a difficult question and the rest is up to you. In fact, if you can find the applied maths book you could give the LC questions a go in Linear motion.

It is build in my timetable, sorry for the confusion!
    I'm not taking it as an 8th subject, but I think i will take music
    As an 8th because I play the piano already:)
    I think I'm going to give AP maths a shot.
    Thank you so much for your answers!!
    It was clear and concise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

Id just like to add that im finishing 5th year and recently switched to app maths and i would strongly recommend doing it along with physics and chemistry if i were you as the subjects overlap a lot....and i think almost 30% get As in it so points wise it would be an excellent choice :D

AlanBr wrote: »
    Id just like to add that im finishing 5th year and recently switched to app maths and i would strongly recommend doing it along with physics and chemistry if i were you as the subjects overlap a lot....and i think almost 30% get As in it so points wise it would be an excellent choice :D

Really!! But I don't like physics. Would it over lap much with chemistry? Cause I'm thinking of picking chemistry and biology.

well in the radioactivity section and there is sections dealing with electrons which is all in the chemistry course...also the applied maths i find makes the maths part of physics incredibly easier ...maybe you should just look through the physics book in your bookshop and see if you like it but i suppose in terms of your career you should do what you like and if you would prefer biology by all means do biology :) you certainly dont need physics for applied maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Hey I am going to take Applied Maths next year as an 8th subject (my school doesn't teach it) in the Institute of Education. In terms of your career, Applied Maths doesn't really benefit you there...but if you like maths give it a go! Check out this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71755831

It has some good comments on applied maths. Also check out this site: http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=3&ed_sub_cat_id=7&menu_parent_id=2&course_name=Applied+Math

and

http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2607

Hope this helps you make a decision! It sure helped me! The other subjects I picked were...Biology, Physics, Music and French along with your standard Maths Irish and English all honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Only do it if you think you can get an A in it.

There is a tiny bit of vectors when talking about muscles and theres more mechanics in the biomechanics aspects of medicine. Lot of stuff you'd do in leaving cert physics. I don't know why anyone would do AM and not do physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Yeah apart from basic arithmetic (good for any sciencey course) maths will not help you in Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

On the subject of physics, I didn't really like it (in comparison to biology and chemistry) throughout most of this year (6th year) and last year. Now that we've finished the course and things are coming together and we're doing exam questions and stuff, I love it. Very fair exam, plenty of scope to avoid sections you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Applied Maths really won't be of any benefit to either Pharmacy or Medicine. Not only that but it's extremely difficult to get a high grade unless you're already very good at Maths.

Only do it if you think you can get an A in it.

There is a tiny bit of vectors when talking about muscles and theres more mechanics in the biomechanics aspects of medicine. Lot of stuff you'd do in leaving cert physics. I don't know why anyone would do AM and not do physics.

Because I can't stand physics. I think I could be going to the institute, don't they have a really good teacher there for it? I'm not bad at maths either.

Applied Maths really won't be of any benefit to either Pharmacy or Medicine. Not only that but it's extremely difficult to get a high grade unless you're already very good at Maths.
    I'd disagree considering my brother got a B2 in applied maths and he was hopeless at maths....You do realise the majority of the marks are given for using the right method ? i think if you use the right method you're guaranteed 70%....also you only have to pick 6 out of 10 questions in the exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Miruku wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in 4th year and have to pick my subject choices.
    I would like to do medicine or pharmacy in college and would like to know if Applied Maths would benefit me at all for medicine or pharmacy.
    I would also like to know of it is very difficult?
    I'm doing HL LC maths at the moment and I don't find it too bad yet.
    Thanks!!

The only thing Applied Maths is useful for is if you want to do something maths, physics or engineering in the future.

Or else you're so good at it to the point where you can solve applied maths problems in your head. (not as hard as it sounds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Didn't want to start a new thread so, I'm currently in third year at the moment and I'm wondering, Is Applied Maths difficult as I'm thinking of picking it up for 5th year , I'm generally an A student in maths but I'd need an A2/A1 in it if I was to pick it up.

Thoughts and/or Opinions? :D

Advertisement