Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Build - Unbuntu OS

Options
  • 07-05-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Hey! Could anyone give advice on a basic build to be used with Ubuntu.

I figure using Ubuntu because it'll be harder for my father (who is fairly computer illiterate) to mess up. I already have him using ubuntu on an old PC, and he has no problems with it. So now it's time to get him his own machine.

I've built a PC from scratch before, my current gaming PC. It was no problem, and I'm happy to actually put the components together (still not had to do any serious troubleshooting though.) I'd be fine to spec and put together a Windows build, I'm just a little ignorant on what components are best for Ubuntu. So I'm looking for help here.

The computer would only ever be used for web browsing, and checking webmail and a small bit of office tools usage. So it doesn't need to be high powered. We have a monitor (1280*1024) so it doesn't need to push Hi-Def graphics. Apart from that we'd need everything in the box, from case to processor. So it's mainly just driver (or any linux issues that I don't know of) that's the problem.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

Advertisement