Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Programming Cycle Computer

• 07-05-2011 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me an accurate way of measuring my wheel circumference to programme my cycle computer.

I have tried it once by placing the wheel so that the valve is face down towards the ground, then marked with a pen the point where it meets the ground. .. Then, I rolled the wheel one full rotation until again the valve was face down towards the ground and remarked this point. From here I measured the distance between the two marked points in mm as my computer programmes in mm. I arrived at a measurement of 2100 mm.

Now, another point to add to this.. I had the computer fitted to the bike in a cycle store (but not programmed there) but from reading up on how to fit them to the bike, they seem to have fitted it correctly. Its not wireless. So the sensor is about half way down the fork and the magnet on the spoke is about 1 mm away from the sensor, so that much seems right I THINK!

I have an Giant OCR 4 compact if it helps. Dunno what year of manufacturer.

So any methods on how to measure this would be appreciated?? The more accurate the better??

Cheers
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

2100mm sounds about right. If you spin the wheel and it increments, you are good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Measure the height of the wheel - I used a t-square from my Leaving Cert tech drawing like the one below. Then multiply the height by PI (3.14159).

55680-2424-3ww-l.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

read the side of the tyre wall

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement